Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Making the connection: From Manziel to O'Bannon
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Making the connection: From Manziel to O'Bannon
1991 Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard, considering joining the O'Bannon lawsuit as a plaintiff, and talking about Manziel:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--as-j...10354.html
Quote:Howard couldn't help but look at the individual pictures that make up the big pictures. Consider the autographed photo for sale on eBay ($149.99) that shows Manziel shedding Alabama cornerback Deion Belue, his arm stretched out, the picture capturing a magical moment in a legendary Aggies victory.

A Heisman pose, if you will.

For Howard, the image rings especially familiar, of course. And it's not just because back in 1991, he made the Heisman pose famous when he was the first player to strike it in celebration after a brilliant punt return against Ohio State.

A photo of that moment has been sold around the globe without Howard's permission, let alone compensation. And Howard knows that due to NCAA rules, he may never truly control the famous picture in which he stars. Then there is this, earlier this year, the photographer of the Heisman pose picture sued Howard over the use of the image.

"I still think its ridiculous that 20-some-odd years after the fact that someone can not only feel like they own the right to my likeness," Howard said, "but they can sue me and affect me."

Who actually owns the photograph is itself a nebulous question. The photographer believes he does. The NCAA and Michigan have rights to it as well. Pretty much everyone but Howard gets a cut. That's the system.
Quote:So who owns a signature? Or a picture? Or a legendary moment on the football field, sticking the Heisman pose, in celebration against Ohio State, or in that Manziel photo currently selling on eBay, in action against Alabama.

"That's one helluva shot of Johnny taken on the path to winning the Heisman," Howard said. "His picture, his signature, his likeness – selling for $150 – and he's not expected to get a dime. Worse, if my situation is any indication, his incidental use could expose him to litigation twenty years down the road."

That's what Howard believes may be worth fighting over.

"Going through what I'm going through right now and to feel the helplessness I do," Howard said. "It makes you want to do what you can do so other players never have to experience this. Something has to be done about this."

Former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon, who spearheaded the suit against the NCAA, is trying. And Michael Hausfeld, the lead attorney for O'Bannon and the other name plaintiffs in the suit, told Yahoo! Sports: "We would certainly welcome the additional support of a player and person the caliber of Desmond Howard."
08-06-2013 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Making the connection: From Manziel to O'Bannon
... and some interesting Twitter commentary on the NCAA profiting from the sale of student-athlete jerseys and memorabilia.

https://twitter.com/PacificTakes

Quote:Pacific Takes ‏@PacificTakes 2m

Bilas is on a trolling mission. RT @JayBilas: Go to http://ShopNCAAsports.com & search for "Mark Emmert". This comes up. pic.twitter.com/VPmXKluN7P

Pacific Takes ‏@PacificTakes 31m

RT @BrianMFloyd: Oh man, the NCAA shop really tied jerseys to, like, every player name (Here's a WSU one) pic.twitter.com/wnUAwhOgRT

Pacific Takes ‏@PacificTakes 34m

RT @DanGreenspan: That's so strange since that game never happened, according to the same people selling said Reggie Bush autographed photo.

Pacific Takes ‏@PacificTakes 35m

RT @BFeldmanCBS: You can even buy autographed Reggie Bush photos from his #USC days from the NCAA Shop: http://www.shopncaasports.com/search/Reggie%20Bush

Pacific Takes ‏@PacificTakes 35m

I'm late to the party but I'd give the NCAA a failing grade. pic.twitter.com/MvIIVTfCz3
08-06-2013 02:10 PM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Jay Bilas is absolutely killing the NCAA right now on Twitter. Kind of fun to watch. He has been doing it more or less for the last year, though. I think Johnny Football just became the tipping point.
08-06-2013 02:16 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Just start a minor league football system and cut out the universities from the process. Problem solved.
08-06-2013 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.