RE: Coach Candle Guiding Russell
A guided Rocket.
08-06-2013 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Interesting that Smith had a blood clot. That could be very dangerous - but since they did not go into any details, we have to assume it did not end up in his lungs - which can be fatal, and at the least would put him on a blood thinner for about 4-6 months as a precaution - which would have ended his football season. I just got out of the hospital this afternoon with my 2nd bout against of blood clots getting to my lungs (pulmonary embollisms) in the past 13 years. I've been lucky twice now - and my doctor reminded me that I do not have 7 lives left.
08-06-2013 04:12 PM
tolfbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo/Browns
Russell should be an All MAC performer and top 2 round draft pick if he will allow himself to do what is needed.
08-06-2013 04:33 PM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Quote:NOTES: ... The Rockets will unveil new uniform combinations for some games, but Campbell is cagey on the details.

Ugh!!!! 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead
08-06-2013 04:41 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
(08-06-2013 04:12 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Interesting that Smith had a blood clot. That could be very dangerous - but since they did not go into any details, we have to assume it did not end up in his lungs - which can be fatal, and at the least would put him on a blood thinner for about 4-6 months as a precaution - which would have ended his football season. I just got out of the hospital this afternoon with my 2nd bout against of blood clots getting to my lungs (pulmonary embollisms) in the past 13 years. I've been lucky twice now - and my doctor reminded me that I do not have 7 lives left.

Eh, what do doctors know. Good health to you and of course to Smith. How would they catch something like that?
08-06-2013 05:00 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(08-06-2013 04:41 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
Quote:NOTES: ... The Rockets will unveil new uniform combinations for some games, but Campbell is cagey on the details.

Ugh!!!! 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead

Break out the pants with Flames.03-banghead Hopefully, those were burnt or given to Beckman as a going away present. He should have been fired by MOB right on the spot for that debacle.
08-06-2013 05:43 PM
Advertisement

TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2013 04:12 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Interesting that Smith had a blood clot. That could be very dangerous - but since they did not go into any details, we have to assume it did not end up in his lungs - which can be fatal, and at the least would put him on a blood thinner for about 4-6 months as a precaution - which would have ended his football season. I just got out of the hospital this afternoon with my 2nd bout against of blood clots getting to my lungs (pulmonary embollisms) in the past 13 years. I've been lucky twice now - and my doctor reminded me that I do not have 7 lives left.

Glad your doing OK Moto. 04-cheers
08-06-2013 05:44 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-06-2013 05:44 PM)TampaRocket Wrote:  

Good luck to you. Interesting that a UT engineer has invented a device to remove clots from veins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5MoJOk1zzg
08-06-2013 06:59 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-06-2013 05:44 PM)TampaRocket Wrote:  

Ditto that Moto!!!
08-07-2013 09:20 AM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-06-2013 05:00 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Eh, what do doctors know. Good health to you and of course to Smith. How would they catch something like that?

Didn't mean to highjack the thread - just a weird coincidence I saw that. To answer the question because it could help someone else reading this:

Unfortunately, if you are going to get dealt a fatal hand, you will likely not have time to do anything about it. I had extreme shortness of breath, but by then, the clots were already in the veins around my lungs and were not severe enough to be fatal. I just had extreme shortness of breath. I still had about an 8-inch clot in my femeral vein (DVT) that was breaking off and passing through my heart and getting caught in my lungs, but fortunately it was not severe enough to cause more than a significant problem with being able to catch my breath after walking up a flight of stairs. I did that the first time around, then had a doctor who misdiagnosed it.

If that ever happens to anyone - head straight to the emergency room - PERIOD. If fact, have someone drive you or get an ambulance called. The likelihood is that you will survive if you get to that point and are still alive - but you cannot fool around to see if it will go away.

The bad thing is that they cannot detect it ahead of time. My situation appears to be hereditary. It is a blood disorder (hyper- coagulation) which will likely have me on blood thinners the rest of my life, but I'm trying to avoid that without creating more risk.

The doctor did tell me it's like having three bullets in a 6 chamber revolver. So far I have spun it twice and shot the empty chamber - those chambers have now been replaced with live rounds. That put it in perspective for me. With the proper medication, the risk is gone, but other risks emerge.

My plan is to drink alcohol all the time and thin it out that way.

You all may want to see if there is a history in your family of blood clots. About 100,000 people die each year in the US from this. If you recall, David Bloom died from that when we was a correspondent over in Iraq. Serena Williams, Bobby Ross (former Lion's coach), Bonnie Bernstein (from ESPN) and many other celebs have had close calls.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 08:03 PM by MotoRocket.)
08-07-2013 08:02 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
(08-07-2013 08:02 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 05:00 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 04:12 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Interesting that Smith had a blood clot. That could be very dangerous - .. I've been lucky twice now - and my doctor reminded me that I do not have 7 lives left.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread - just a weird coincidence I saw that. To answer the question because it could help someone else reading this:

Unfortunately, if you are going to get dealt a fatal hand, you will likely not have time to do anything about it. I had extreme shortness of breath, but by then, the clots were already in the veins around my lungs and were not severe enough to be fatal. I just had extreme shortness of breath. I still had about an 8-inch clot in my femeral vein (DVT) that was breaking off and passing through my heart and getting caught in my lungs, but fortunately it was not severe enough to cause more than a significant problem with being able to catch my breath after walking up a flight of stairs. I did that the first time around, then had a doctor who misdiagnosed it.

If that ever happens to anyone - head straight to the emergency room - PERIOD. If fact, have someone drive you or get an ambulance called. The likelihood is that you will survive if you get to that point and are still alive - but you cannot fool around to see if it will go away.

The bad thing is that they cannot detect it ahead of time. My situation appears to be hereditary. It is a blood disorder (hyper- coagulation) which will likely have me on blood thinners the rest of my life, but I'm trying to avoid that without creating more risk.

The doctor did tell me it's like having three bullets in a 6 chamber revolver. So far I have spun it twice and shot the empty chamber - those chambers have now been replaced with live rounds. That put it in perspective for me. With the proper medication, the risk is gone, but other risks emerge.

My plan is to drink alcohol all the time and thin it out that way.

You all may want to see if there is a history in your family of blood clots. About 100,000 people die each year in the US from this. If you recall, David Bloom died from that when we was a correspondent over in Iraq. Serena Williams, Bobby Ross (former Lion's coach), Bonnie Bernstein (from ESPN) and many other celebs have had close calls.

Off task or not, that's all good information. I certainly wouldn't have known what to look for or what to do. Stay on that medication and get yourself a bigger gun.
08-07-2013 08:14 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Related article that I had read awhile ago that got this diverted when I read the news about Smith. Found the other article on Bonnie Berstein when re-looking up the first one. That has some pretty good information in it - and highlights the fact that most Americans know nothing of this problem - and it could affect virtually anyone if the conditions are right. Most of the time you will have a chance to figure it out and get treatment - but you can't screw around with it and think it will go away. Just knowing the symptoms may help you or someone you know who is going through the symptoms. Heredity ( a gene defect) can be part of it - but other factors usually contribute more to ending up with a clot that could kill you. It is the biggest reason why you should do leg exercises on long flights - that is not just a lame exercise but a problem the airlines have recognized as being a real danger.

BTW - only in extremely rare situations could a DVT end up causing a stroke. The clot will go to the lungs, not to the brain.

Anyway - that is my Public Service Announcement for the year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id...van-hailes

http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/Vital...px?id=1590
08-08-2013 11:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.