All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Phil Steele: ODU nation's 3rd-best FBS independent
Harry Minium
Virginian-Pilot and PilotOnline.com
ODUBlitz.com. excerpts
Aug 2, 2013

If you're looking for the preseason football magazine with the best information on Old Dominion's prospects in 2013, fast forward past The Sporting News and Athlon and proceed directly to Phil Steele's College Football Preview.

Steele ranks ODU as the nation's third-best Football Bowl Subdivision independent, behind Notre Dame and Brigham Young, but ahead of Navy, Army, New Mexico State and Idaho.
Steele notes that his rankings are based on who he thinks will win the most games, and says he expects ODU to win more than Navy because the Monarchs have a weaker schedule.

Steele writes that winning eight or nine games "is a solid possibility" for ODU. Since ODU plays seven Football Championship Subdivision opponents this season, Steele predicts the Monarchs will knock off an Football Bowl Subdivision opponent or two.

ODU is eligible for Steele's postseason awards, and several players were honored in his preseason publication.

Heinicke edged Notre Dame's Everett Golson on Steele's preseason All-Independent first-team. Offensive guard David Born and placekicker Jarod Brown are also first-team picks.
Defensive tackle Dominique Guinn-Bailey and linebacker Caleb Taylor are second-team picks. Wide receivers Antonio Vaughan and Larry Pinkard, offensive tackle Jack Lowney, cornerback Reggie Owens and Vaughan (at punt returner) are third-team picks.

ODU begins practice on Monday. The Monarchs open Aug. 31 at East Carolina.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/08/phil-ste...ndependent
08-02-2013 12:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
RE: Phil Steele: ODU nation's 3rd-best FBS independent
I agree, i believe we could knock off 2 of the FBS teams.
08-02-2013 12:43 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
My money's on Maryland and Idaho.
08-02-2013 12:45 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2013 12:45 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  My money's on Maryland and Idaho.

That'd be my guess too, though I caution that as of now ODU should be dogs in all five FBS games -- yes, even Idaho, just because of the distance and altitude factor. Unless I'm misremembering, that will be ODU's first game outside the good ol' ES(D)T zone, and almost certainly their highest-altitude game (that's JMU right now?)
08-02-2013 01:21 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

(08-02-2013 01:21 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

That'd be my guess too, though I caution that as of now ODU should be dogs in all five FBS games -- yes, even Idaho, just because of the distance and altitude factor. Unless I'm misremembering, that will be ODU's first game outside the good ol' ES(D)T zone, and almost certainly their highest-altitude game (that's JMU right now?)

The Idaho stadium only holds 16,000 and the biggest fuss about it is the heat. We will be playing there in November so the heat might not be a big deal. The stadium is about 1/2 a mile high.
08-02-2013 01:58 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2013 01:58 PM)odu83alumni Wrote:  

The Idaho stadium only holds 16,000 and the biggest fuss about it is the heat. We will be playing there in November so the heat might not be a big deal. The stadium is about 1/2 a mile high.

And they'll be near the end of what probably will be another crummy season, so the fans will turn out in dozens. It'll be like a mini-Georgia Dome effect. Still, the elevation and distance are going to be X-factors. Even if ODU is cruising at 8-1 coming in, it'll be a trap game for those very reasons.
08-02-2013 02:26 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I acknowledge that we will not be the favorite in any FBS game we play this season. The two games I selected are ones that I could see us actually winning, although by slim margins in both. I think our kicker gets to be Mr. Clutch if either game works out that way.
08-02-2013 02:53 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

(08-02-2013 02:26 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 01:58 PM)odu83alumni Wrote:  

And they'll be near the end of what probably will be another crummy season, so the fans will turn out in dozens. It'll be like a mini-Georgia Dome effect. Still, the elevation and distance are going to be X-factors. Even if ODU is cruising at 8-1 coming in, it'll be a trap game for those very reasons.

I doubt this very seriously. Idaho's highest attendence last year was 14,700. Cheer up man this isn't the basketball team. Bobby Wilder won't allow a trap game.
08-02-2013 03:39 PM
WyoMonarch Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-02-2013 02:26 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  And they'll be near the end of what probably will be another crummy season, so the fans will turn out in dozens. It'll be like a mini-Georgia Dome effect. Still, the elevation and distance are going to be X-factors. Even if ODU is cruising at 8-1 coming in, it'll be a trap game for those very reasons.

The altitude thing is way overblown in my opinion. I live in Laramie, WY now and UWyo is always going on about their stadium being at 7220 feet. It sure doesn't stop them from getting their butts kicked on the regular.

These are young guys in peak physical condition. They should be fine with after a day of adjustment to the lower oxygen levels. And 1/2 a mile ain't nothin
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 03:48 PM by WyoMonarch.)
08-02-2013 03:42 PM
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

(08-02-2013 03:42 PM)WyoMonarch Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 02:26 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  And they'll be near the end of what probably will be another crummy season, so the fans will turn out in dozens. It'll be like a mini-Georgia Dome effect. Still, the elevation and distance are going to be X-factors. Even if ODU is cruising at 8-1 coming in, it'll be a trap game for those very reasons.

The altitude thing is way overblown in my opinion. I live in Laramie, WY now and UWyo is always going on about their stadium being at 7220 feet. It sure doesn't stop them from getting their nuts kicked on the regular.

These are young guys in peak physical condition. They should be fine with after a day of adjustment to the lower oxygen levels. And 1/2 a mile ain't nothin

Thanks Wyoming Monarch for a little western fresh air in here.
08-02-2013 03:48 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

The altitude thing is way overblown in my opinion. I live in Laramie, WY now and UWyo is always going on about their stadium being at 7220 feet. It sure doesn't stop them from getting their butts kicked on the regular.

Perhaps. But they're also playing teams that deal with higher altitudes all the time in the Mountain West. If you sent, say, East Carolina or Florida Atlantic out there, it might be different. Plus ODU might be better than Idaho, but the gap between the two isn't as big as the one between Wyoming and the better teams in their conference.

It's easy to think of Idaho as the weak sister school that'll fall apart in a stiff breeze, but relative to the schools ODU has played the last two seasons, they're not THAT bad. It's not like Far Away Mountainy Rhode Island or anything. ODU probably *should* win, but at least as of now, it won't be a two-foot putt either.
08-02-2013 04:02 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

(08-02-2013 04:02 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Perhaps. But they're also playing teams that deal with higher altitudes all the time in the Mountain West. If you sent, say, East Carolina or Florida Atlantic out there, it might be different. Plus ODU might be better than Idaho, but the gap between the two isn't as big as the one between Wyoming and the better teams in their conference.

It's easy to think of Idaho as the weak sister school that'll fall apart in a stiff breeze, but relative to the schools ODU has played the last two seasons, they're not THAT bad. It's not like Far Away Mountainy Rhode Island or anything. ODU probably *should* win, but at least as of now, it won't be a two-foot putt either.

Idaho had better have a big advantage 1/2 out there cause they lost last year to North Carolina by 66 points. They never scored a point.
08-02-2013 04:15 PM
WyoMonarch Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Old Dominion

I don't disagree with anything in your post, but wanted to point out that last year I watched Wyoming lose to Toledo and Cal Poly, in addition to most of the MWC. Those are teams that should have theoretically been "affected by the altitude". They weren't.

My main point was that your body adjusts to the effects of high altitude relatively quickly (around 24 hours). Additionally, only a small portion of the population susceptible to the more severe effects (I am one, it sucks). But at the altitude of Idaho, this really shouldn't be an issue. Altitude effects show up most often above the 1 mile mark, but again it's a small percentage of the population that is going to be highly affected.

Our guys should be fine. I expect a win at Idaho. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to make the trip.
08-02-2013 04:29 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2013 04:29 PM)WyoMonarch Wrote:  

I don't disagree with anything in your post, but wanted to point out that last year I watched Wyoming lose to Toledo and Cal Poly, in addition to most of the MWC. Those are teams that should have theoretically been "affected by the altitude". They weren't.

My main point was that your body adjusts to the effects of high altitude relatively quickly (around 24 hours). Additionally, only a small portion of the population susceptible to the more severe effects (I am one, it sucks). But at the altitude of Idaho, this really shouldn't be an issue. Altitude effects show up most often above the 1 mile mark, but again it's a small percentage of the population that is going to be highly affected.

Our guys should be fine. I expect a win at Idaho. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to make the trip.

I think they'll adapt, but it at least has the potential to take a bit of the edge off. Ditto a cross-country flight near the end of the season. It's not as though nobody on the team has ever traveled anywhere, of course, but long trips have the potential to throw you off (I presume they'll leave for Moscow on the Continental Divide early enough to adjust to both factors).

Obviously Idaho at 3,300 feet or whatever it is won't be as much of a culture shock as Denver or Wyoming, but I remember watching Broncos games where their opponents had to hit the oxygen a lot harder than usual.
08-02-2013 04:36 PM
ODU'14 Offline
Water Engineer

Quote:Heinicke edged Notre Dame's Everett Golson on Steele's preseason All-Independent first-team. Offensive guard David Born and placekicker Jarod Brown are also first-team picks.
Defensive tackle Dominique Guinn-Bailey and linebacker Caleb Taylor are second-team picks. Wide receivers Antonio Vaughan and Larry Pinkard, offensive tackle Jack Lowney, cornerback Reggie Owens and Vaughan (at punt returner) are third-team picks.

I still don't understand why Everett Golson is on any team. He isn't playing this season so how is he on any preseason team? Makes no sense
08-02-2013 05:14 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-02-2013 05:14 PM)ODU14 Wrote:  
Quote:Heinicke edged Notre Dame's Everett Golson on Steele's preseason All-Independent first-team. Offensive guard David Born and placekicker Jarod Brown are also first-team picks.

I still don't understand why Everett Golson is on any team. He isn't playing this season so how is he on any preseason team? Makes no sense

Because when the magazine was ready for publication (and probably when it actually hit the newsstands), he was still at ND. The deadlines for preseason mags are ridiculously early -- to get on the newsstands in July, they probably have to have their copy ready to roll in May.
08-02-2013 07:51 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-02-2013 07:51 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Because when the magazine was ready for publication (and probably when it actually hit the newsstands), he was still at ND. The deadlines for preseason mags are ridiculously early -- to get on the newsstands in July, they probably have to have their copy ready to roll in May.

In other words, example #10643 for why print is dying. And that's coming from someone who works for two worldwide distributed publications.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 10:07 PM by Monarchist13.)
08-02-2013 10:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.