Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten expansion not done according to Dennis Dodd
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Conference media days summary - and a bombshell
I can't believe Dodd buried this in his article today.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...media-days

Quote:Big Ten expansion: It isn't done. That's about all I can say. Hint: The conference will begin negotiating on a new TV deal next year. The current contract expires in 2016. Definitely stay tuned.
07-31-2013 02:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Conference media days summary - and a bombshell
the b10 did approach at least 4 other schools. but im not seeing them expand any more. they got their two schools, will get a new contract which will make them the highest paid conference....what more do they need?
07-31-2013 02:16 PM
bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
(07-31-2013 02:16 PM)john01992 Wrote:  the b10 did approach at least 4 other schools. but im not seeing them expand any more. they got their two schools, will get a new contract which will make them the highest paid conference....what more do they need?

Fans that whine less
Teams that win more
Better climate
02-13-banana
07-31-2013 02:22 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(07-31-2013 02:16 PM)john01992 Wrote:  the b10 did approach at least 4 other schools. but im not seeing them expand any more. they got their two schools, will get a new contract which will make them the highest paid conference....what more do they need?

When Dodd has to specifically state "It isn't done. That's about all I can say", it means that Big 10 expansion isn't done, and whoever told him that said he can't say anything further or told Dodd more details off the record. It sounds pretty much inevitable. Dodd probably didn't elaborate much more because he is in the camp that pretty much abhors realignment.
07-31-2013 02:25 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Well... this should trigger a ten-page thread, maybe longer.
07-31-2013 02:28 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
With the ACC and Big 12 locked up with GoR's, I can't imagine who he'd get. UConn and Missouri? They're not going to take Cincinnati because they would duplicate markets. I doubt Missouri would leave the SEC.
07-31-2013 02:29 PM
Advertisement

westmc9th Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACC/UNC/PITT
Can't wait to see what the Dude will get out of this.
07-31-2013 02:31 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(07-31-2013 02:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  With the ACC and Big 12 locked up with GoR's, I can't imagine who he'd get. UConn and Missouri? They're not going to take Cincinnati because they would duplicate markets. I doubt Missouri would leave the SEC.

And I'd be willing to guess that the SEC would be locking everyone up with a GoR themselves as well with the SEC Network coming online.
john01992 Offline

yeah and i just dont see it guys. giving out hints & waiting around just isnt the b10s style. the sealed the deal on maryland before people even realized it happened with no prior buildup unlike the pac12, & sec

their gonna be the richest conference in 2016. so unless they wanna add notre dame & texas....i just dont see it.
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
just kind of a crazy thought, but what about Kentucky leaving for the Big Ten? I know the football stinks, but it would be another feather in the cap for the Big Ten competiing with the ACC in basketball.
07-31-2013 02:32 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(07-31-2013 02:22 PM)bevotex Wrote:  

Fans that whine less
Teams that win more
Better climate
02-13-banana

Yep, but can we take any current Big 12 and ACC school off the table for such a move in the next two years due to their GOR's? If so, we are back to the usual suspects, which are slim at this point. I still think they should figure out a way to bring in the University of Toronto (you can check their credentials as a school pretty easily). Other than that, who is available that meets their minimal criteria? Buffalo, Missouri, Vanderbilt (if they got Missouri, Vandy is contiguous). If they are willing to give up the AAU status, then UConn is game. That seems to be about it unless the Ivy League is ready to suit it up.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 02:38 PM by bigblueblindness.)
07-31-2013 02:33 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy

They'll get a figure from the networks for the 14/15 they have, and then will ask what happens to that figure when it goes to 16/17.

I thought they might get their deal, THEN expand, ala the ACC with Notre Dame. Get a program that forces an immediate renegotiation.
07-31-2013 02:33 PM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
Tulane and Rice. Northwestern is lonely as the only private.
07-31-2013 02:35 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(07-31-2013 02:32 PM)stever20 Wrote:  just kind of a crazy thought, but what about Kentucky leaving for the Big Ten? I know the football stinks, but it would be another feather in the cap for the Big Ten competiing with the ACC in basketball.

They wouldn't take UK because of academics. Athletics would be fine. We are not currently much worse than the bottom half of the Big 10 in football, anyway.
07-31-2013 02:36 PM
john01992 Offline

(07-31-2013 02:33 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(07-31-2013 02:22 PM)bevotex Wrote:  

Fans that whine less
Teams that win more
Better climate
02-13-banana

Yep, but can we take any current Big 12 and ACC school off the table for such a move in the next two years due to their GOR's? If so, we are back to the usual suspects, which are slim at this point. I still think they should figure out a way to bring in the University of Toronto (you can check their credentials as a school pretty easily). Other than that, who is available that meets their minimal criteria? Buffalo, Missouri, Vanderbilt (if they got Missouri, Vandy is contiguous). If they are willing to give up the AAU status, the UConn is game. That seems to be about it unless the Ivy League is ready to suit it up.

buffalo/Toronto look good on paper, but in reality they are not b10 style schools.

honestly the 3 schools with the best chance imo are texas, colorado, & to a smaller extent aggie & mizz. if the b10 wants to go down the private school route then its duke, vandy, & syracuse to look at
07-31-2013 02:38 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(07-31-2013 02:35 PM)lew240z Wrote:  Tulane and Rice. Northwestern is lonely as the only private.

Let's run with this one for a while. 04-cheers
07-31-2013 02:39 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
...they'll field lacrosse and/or ice hockey is my bet. There's money to be had in ice hockey...question is, would BC be worth it? 03-razz
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 02:43 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
07-31-2013 02:41 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(07-31-2013 02:31 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(07-31-2013 02:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  With the ACC and Big 12 locked up with GoR's, I can't imagine who he'd get. UConn and Missouri? They're not going to take Cincinnati because they would duplicate markets. I doubt Missouri would leave the SEC.

And I'd be willing to guess that the SEC would be locking everyone up with a GoR themselves as well with the SEC Network coming online.

More or less, the SEC network will serve as a de facto grant of rights, based on my understanding. Our commissioner enjoys saying at Media Days every year that the SEC does not need a GOR way too much to ever push to get one. Vanderbilt would MAYBE consider it behind closed doors if Duke ever went to the Big 10 and the SEC arms race became too much for their culture to handle (it will never be about the money at Vandy).
07-31-2013 02:42 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(07-31-2013 02:41 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  ...they'll field lacrosse and/or ice hockey is my bet. There's money to be had in ice hockey...question is, would BC be worth it? 03-razz

Yeah, this is probably what they were talking about. Good point. There are a ton of associate members for the B1G to add in those sports. Nice strategy by them to get their schools into some more northeast associations.
07-31-2013 02:51 PM
john01992 Offline

(07-31-2013 02:36 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(07-31-2013 02:32 PM)stever20 Wrote:  just kind of a crazy thought, but what about Kentucky leaving for the Big Ten? I know the football stinks, but it would be another feather in the cap for the Big Ten competiing with the ACC in basketball.

They wouldn't take UK because of academics. Athletics would be fine. We are not currently much worse than the bottom half of the Big 10 in football, anyway.

the osu president made fun of UK academics
07-31-2013 02:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.