monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Banowsky Interview
A good read, not exactly anything new, but a good interview:
http://www.dnj.com/article/20130731/BLUE...ck_check=1

On expansion:
1. Will there be more C-USA expansion?
Banowsky: “We are clearly in a period of analysis going forward, but we are not in a period of active expansion. We put opportunities in front of our group in June and said, ‘How do you feel? What do you want to do? Here is our lineup, and here are our assets.’ They said, ‘Let’s stop and evaluate.’ Fair enough. I’m totally comfortable with that.”

On TV Deal:
6. Fox is a big part of the C-USA national TV package. Why is that a good partnership for C-USA?
Banowsky: “When (Fox) made the decision to launch their new network, Fox 1, it showed the potential to be groundbreaking for them because they will be competing on a national basis with ESPN and the cable channels. They need content, and we are happy to partner with them to provide that content. And that creates more opportunities with Fox College Sports and the regional networks because if our content moves on Fox 1, then we have more opportunities to get on regional networks. I think it’s a terrific set of platforms that we have. And I find it interesting that a lot of the programs that we have brought into the conference have never been exposed in the way that they are going to be. So that creates great opportunity for expanded fan base, expanded marketing of the programs, and you just never know how that momentum can transform a program.”

On Markets:

7. A lot of the new members are in big markets and around bigger cities (like MTSU near Nashville). Is that where you wanted to be?
Banowsky: “That was part of the expansion strategy. We wanted to get bigger as a conference and wanted to be in larger markets with a larger market share for a larger audience. We think those universities in those markets are generally growth universities. We think they will be sustainable and have resources to invest and have a higher relevance to their regions. So over the long run, there is potential for great things.”

On Bowls:
9. What’s the status of C-USA’s future bowl tie-ins?
Banowsky: “Everyone (all conferences) will be resetting their games for 2014 (season) going forward. So we’ve been working the last six to eight months trying to build the right strategy and right opportunity to determine how we want to define ourselves. We are trying to identify destinations that people really want to go and spend time. We have had a (bowl) partner with ESPN Regional with multiple tie-ins in the past, and I certainly expect that to continue. I certainly expect to have a relationship with the Heart of Dallas (Bowl) going forward. The one long-term relationship that we have that will be a challenge going forward is the Liberty Bowl. I feel good about the rest.”
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 05:06 PM by monarchman.)
07-31-2013 11:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: 10 Questions for Britton Banowsky
(07-31-2013 11:53 AM)monarchman Wrote:  A good read, not exactly anything new, but a good interview:

On expansion:
Banowsky: “We are clearly in a period of analysis going forward, but we are not in a period of active expansion. We put opportunities in front of our group in June and said, ‘How do you feel? What do you want to do? Here is our lineup, and here are our assets.’ They said, ‘Let’s stop and evaluate.’ Fair enough. I’m totally comfortable with that.”

Honestly, I think CUSA should sit at the 14 it will have next year for at least 2 seasons before adding anyone. I do think 16 makes for a better number but you get into issues with the candidate pool. There are maye 2-4 CUSA teams that could catch the eye of conferences above them however, the pool of CUSA equivalent or down is just not there to make good decisions with. I also think for CUSA to stay above the Sun Belt they shouldn't take anymore 1AA schools. Also, think about the athletic budgets of any SBC and/or MAC schools that they MIGHT think about.
07-31-2013 12:07 PM
Advertisement

monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: 10 Questions for Britton Banowsky
(07-31-2013 12:07 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(07-31-2013 11:53 AM)monarchman Wrote:  A good read, not exactly anything new, but a good interview:

On expansion:

Honestly, I think CUSA should sit at the 14 it will have next year for at least 2 seasons before adding anyone. I do think 16 makes for a better number but you get into issues with the candidate pool. There are maye 2-4 CUSA teams that could catch the eye of conferences above them however, the pool of CUSA equivalent or down is just not there to make good decisions with. I also think for CUSA to stay above the Sun Belt they shouldn't take anymore 1AA schools. Also, think about the athletic budgets of any SBC and/or MAC schools that they MIGHT think about.

Agree that any expansion should be someone already playing FBS.
It seems doubtful there will be any expansion soon.

The most interesting thing in the article was the commissioners comment on movement in conferences below Conference USA.
07-31-2013 01:02 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Banowsky Interview
The only "interviews" this guy should be doing are with people buying hamburgers.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 05:38 PM by AndreWhere.)
07-31-2013 05:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.