Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kenbrell Thompkins shining early in Pats camp
Bookmark and Share
icehole3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Kenbrell Thompkins shining early in Pats camp
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8647...-thompkins

According to the Boston Globe, Patriots UDFA Kenbrell Thompkins has been "catching everything thrown his way" early in camp while earning "repetitions with the starting unit."

The Globe includes Thompkins as one of its early risers through three days of Patriots camp. Second-round pick Aaron Dobson has also received first-team reps, with Michael Jenkins falling behind Thompkins, Dobson, Josh Boyce, and Kamar Aiken in the wideout rotation. The Globe's report indicates Thompkins is outplaying Dobson. While Dobson is surely owned already, we'd recommend all dynasty fantasy leaguers adding Thompkins where he's available

07-29-2013 04:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Kenbrell Thompkins shining early in Pats camp
-Rookie wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins has gotten a lot of opportunities thus far in camp and on Sunday he made the most of them. He beat Alfonzo Dennard deep on one rep and made a terrific catch on a pass from Ryan Mallett. He’s been involved in a lot of the Patriots multiple-receiver sets with Aaron Dobson and Danny Amendola, and he’s caught more than his share of throws from Tom Brady. He also ended practice by getting behind rookie Stephon Morris and catching a touchdown pass from Tim Tebow during a two-minute situation.
http://www.patriots.com/news/blog/articl...cb494460e8

07-29-2013 07:44 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
nice

07-29-2013 08:53 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
It's been a tough week for UC WRs in the NFL with Mardy and then Binns - so it's especially nice to see things going well for Kenbrell.

07-29-2013 04:07 PM
cincy11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Sun
Thompkins may have been a really good one for us if the uh QB situation had been a little more stable last year. The guy has big time talent.

07-29-2013 04:17 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(07-29-2013 04:17 PM)cincy11 Wrote:  Thompkins may have been a really good one for us if the uh QB situation had been a little more stable last year. The guy has big time talent.

Thompkins never seemed to come up with the big play. He was solid but unspectacular in his career. I remember thinking this guy had one of the best highlight films coming out of JC that I could ever remember seeing for a UC commit. Just could never make a guy miss after making a catch and seemed to drop balls in crucial situations. Had a solid couple of years here at UC with the Virginia Tech game being the pinnacle of his career. Hope he can make a name for himself at the next level.

07-29-2013 04:37 PM
Advertisement

Mopper Offline
1st String

(07-29-2013 04:37 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  
(07-29-2013 04:17 PM)cincy11 Wrote:  Thompkins may have been a really good one for us if the uh QB situation had been a little more stable last year. The guy has big time talent.

Thompkins never seemed to come up with the big play. He was solid but unspectacular in his career. I remember thinking this guy had one of the best highlight films coming out of JC that I could ever remember seeing for a UC commit. Just could never make a guy miss after making a catch and seemed to drop balls in crucial situations. Had a solid couple of years here at UC with the Virginia Tech game being the pinnacle of his career. Hope he can make a name for himself at the next level.

He killed Exum all day long in that game, but it has been completely overshadowed by Julian's catch which will play on a loop with Binn's catch against Pitt for all eternity.

07-31-2013 11:25 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
..New England Patriots: Kenbrell Thompkins' Transition From Feel-Good Story to Potential Steal
Undrafted Receiver Making a Major Push for a Roster Spot in New England

By Andrew Martin | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 59 minutes ago

COMMENTARY | The New England Patriots have developed a knack for finding value out of undrafted and lesser known players. As the early days of training camp have unfolded, rookie wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins is standing out as a potential steal and feel-good story.

The wide receiver position became extremely unsettled in Foxboro this offseason following the departures of Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd and Deion Branch through free agency or release. Free agents like Danny Amendola and Michael Jenkins were brought in, and Aaron Dobson (second round) and Josh Boyce (fourth round) were added through the draft. In total, there are 12 players currently on the roster whose primary position is wide receiver, competing for perhaps five or six jobs.

Thompkins, one of the team's least known receivers, is shining brightly during early camp sessions. Despite a lot of competition, he has received extensive reps in practice and is making the most of them. He has shown so much poise and talent that he is already making a major push for a roster spot.

Following two seasons at community college, he spent the past two years playing for the University of Cincinnati. He had intended to play at the University of Tennessee, but changed his mind after then-head coach Lane Kiffin left for USC.

The 6-foot-inch and 195-pounder totaled 78 catches for 1,077 yards and four touchdowns as a Bearcat. His senior year amounted to just 34 receptions for 541 yards and two scores. The modest numbers were impacted by his team's offense being more focused on their running game.

A bit older at 25, Thompkins went undrafted partly because of his relative lack of collegiate production, a difficult past and so-so combine numbers at the draft. He has fine size, but his 4.54 40-yard time is nothing special. However, not all players must have freakish size or athletic ability to be productive.

According to MassLive.com's Nick Underhill, Thompkins has shown a knack for getting open during camp, impressing cornerback Aqib Talib, who has often drawn the assignment of covering him. The defensive back explained, "I don't know what it is. I don't if its speed, quickness, strength. Either you got it or you don't."

Football is in Thompkins' bloodlines. His cousin, Pittsburgh Steelers' Antonio Brown, has become a top young receiver in the league by totaling 151 receptions for 2,062 yards and seven touchdowns since being a sixth-round pick in 2010.

Unfortunately, Thompkins' journey has not been an easy one. The Boston Herald's Jeff Howe reported that he was arrested seven times and expelled from three schools prior to his 19th birthday before dedicating himself to turning his life around.

In a subsequent article, Howe elaborated on Thompkins' arrest record, which includes charges for armed robbery and possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, which led to a brief jail sentence. Despite the trouble, the youngster decided to take his life in a different direction and turned to football. His past scared many teams off but he found a home with Cincinnati and became a hard-working good citizen.

His Bearcats coach, Butch Jones, considers the receiver one his favorite players he has worked with, gushing, "Kenbrell Thompkins has earned everything that he's done. He's very humble. He's hungry. We always talk about the football side of things that we don't want individuals that love football. We want individuals that need football, that need football in their lives, and Kenbrell Thompkins is one of those individuals that needs football in his life"

As Thompkins sets himself apart at Patriots camp, hopefully his past won't be held against him by the media and public. In light of the Aaron Hernandez arrest and subsequent questions about what the team knew about his character when they drafted him, the spotlight is shining brightly on their personnel practices.

Thompkins may have made mistakes in his past, but he is clearly not the same person he was as a teenager. The success he is having in trying to earn a roster spot is an example that redemption is possible with the right attitude and hard work.

The Patriots have a growing list of little-known receivers who became major contributors and even stars during the era of star quarterback Tom Brady. Troy Brown, David Givens and Wes Welker are all players who were either taken in the late rounds or undrafted, and went on to have a big impact catching passes in New England.

A testament to the positive impression being made by Thompkins is how the team has already released Donald Jones and Lavelle Hawkins; two veteran receivers expected to provide serious competition for playing time.

Workout warriors often come and go in sports without making much of an impression when the games count. The Patriots have a different experience of rewarding such players with more responsibilities to see if they can hang. Right now, Thompkins is doing just about everything that can be done to cement a spot for himself on the team when the regular season begins.

Players don't have to have name recognition or an impressive draft pedigree to help a team. They have to be hard working and earn the trust of coaches and the quarterback. As training camp progresses, it appears Thompkins is well on his way to earning a spot and positioning himself as potentially the team's next great find.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-pat...00295.html

08-05-2013 11:57 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Given the transition in the Patriots' WR corps over the last couple of seasons, it's really no surprise Thompkins is making waves there. He's always had exceptional consistency but was mired by inconsistent (at best) quarterback play. With Hernandez gone, Gronkowski on the mend, Thompkins could very well become Tom Brady's go-to receiver.

08-05-2013 12:01 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

Agreed. I think if he played for 2 years with Pike or Kay then his "stats" might have looked better. In 2011 Pead and Zach got lots of touches and running TDs. Last year Winn had 13 TDs and Kelce had 8 or 9.

08-05-2013 12:17 PM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(08-05-2013 12:01 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Given the transition in the Patriots' WR corps over the last couple of seasons, it's really no surprise Thompkins is making waves there. He's always had exceptional consistency but was mired by inconsistent (at best) quarterback play. With Hernandez gone, Gronkowski on the mend, Thompkins could very well become Tom Brady's go-to receiver.

That's probably the better question a Journalist should be asking Lyle: Why did you play a WR at QB when you had actual QBs on your roster?

08-05-2013 12:19 PM
Advertisement

edetzel Offline
Bench Warmer

Lots of praise for K.T. after his first preseason game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...oad-in-win

08-12-2013 10:38 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Dan Hoard ‏@Dan_Hoard 8m
How 'bout former #Bearcats WR Kenbrell Thompkins (@KTdaWinner) ... 8 catches, 116 yards for Patriots last night

08-23-2013 06:42 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
After contorting his body all over the field to snag passes from Munchie, catching passes from Tom Brady is like playing soft toss in the backyard.

08-23-2013 08:22 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
I am loving the fact that he is doing so well in the NFL.

But I gotta admit there is a little bit of embarrassment to go along with it. And there should be a ton of embarrassment for CBJ.

Yeah I know he was injured a significant amount but it is still a little tough to swallow that a guy with that much talent got the ball in his hands so few times while here.

Think about it: you have a stud wideout who can leap to the NFL and potentially become a #1 on one the premier NFL teams and here CBJ either didn't recognize his talent level or couldn't figure out how to make him a featured player. What a waste.

08-23-2013 08:27 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(08-23-2013 08:22 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  After contorting his body all over the field to snag passes from Munchie, catching passes from Tom Brady is like playing soft toss in the backyard.

Look, I realize bashing Munchie has become a cottage industry on this website, but it wasn't like Thompkins stats exactly shot through the roof when Brendon started playing. As I remember, Kenbrell's best game was against Exum(?) in the VaTech game with you know who at QB.

08-23-2013 08:54 AM
Advertisement

Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(08-23-2013 08:54 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(08-23-2013 08:22 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  After contorting his body all over the field to snag passes from Munchie, catching passes from Tom Brady is like playing soft toss in the backyard.

Look, I realize bashing Munchie has become a cottage industry on this website, but it wasn't like Thompkins stats exactly shot through the roof when Brendon started playing. As I remember, Kenbrell's best game was against Exum(?) in the VaTech game with you know who at QB.

I agree - making sure a stud receiver gets the ball in their hands multiple times a game starts with the HC and OC. Yes the QB ultimately has to put the ball in a place where they can make a play.

Forget trying to run plays to isolate him as you would a true #1, Thompkins was utilized here as if he were just one receiver among many.

08-23-2013 09:02 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

If I'm being honest, I never saw an overwhelming amount of talent from Thompkins. Strong guy, so so hands and not blazing speed. Never seemed to be able to make a guy miss and make the big play. Glad he's emerging though now.

08-23-2013 09:41 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Thompkins isn't going to burn anyone deep or make the "wow" move on a defender in space. But he's got decent hands, runs solid routes, and knows how to find the soft spot in zones. He's just a prototypical "solid" receiver who Bill Belichick and Tom Brady love.

08-23-2013 10:00 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

Great QBs can make receivers, and that may be the case here. If you run good routes the Tom Brady's of the world will make you. Even guys who were high picks but didn't have great physical tools like Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison are going to the hall of fame because Peyton Manning could count on them.

08-23-2013 11:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.