Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rank of ACC football fan bases by Emory University Sports Marketing
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
Rank of ACC football fan bases by Emory University Sports Marketing
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 03:57 PM by CrazyPaco.)
07-28-2013 03:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
RE: Rank of ACC football fan bases by Emory University Sports Marketing
Conference by Brand Equity (2002-12)...current membership

https://blogs.emory.edu/sportsmarketing/...onference/

[Image: Football-Conference-BE.png]

[Image: College-Basketball-Conference-Brand-Equi...nment1.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 04:04 PM by CrazyPaco.)
07-28-2013 03:57 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
Good find, CrazyPaco. Interesting information.
07-28-2013 04:52 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-28-2013 04:52 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Good find, CrazyPaco. Interesting information.

Ditto. Thanks, CrazyPaco!
07-28-2013 05:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(07-28-2013 03:53 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  https://blogs.emory.edu/sportsmarketing/...n-the-acc/

[Image: ACC-Football-Brand-Equity2.png]

FSU seems pretty low. The article said Miami was so low because of poor attendance but nothing about why FSU was low. Maybe it's because being successful on the field works against you in this ranking.

Looking at there "The “Best” Football Fan Bases in the Non-Automatic Qualifying Conferences" you get a real bonus for having a regularly crappy team. Wyoming, Idaho, and Marshall all benefitted from crappy teams.

It does show we're a clear winner in realignment losing UMD and adding Cuse and Pitt. It will be great if some of these teams can start playing in the top 10.

I disagree with the AAC teams ranking higher than the ACC teams over the last 10 years. They must be getting lots of points for poor performance and still having financial support.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 06:33 PM by ChrisLords.)
07-28-2013 06:09 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(07-28-2013 03:53 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  https://blogs.emory.edu/sportsmarketing/...n-the-acc/

[Image: ACC-Football-Brand-Equity2.png]

That's nice to see!
07-28-2013 09:36 PM
Advertisement

UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(07-28-2013 06:09 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  FSU seems pretty low. The article said Miami was so low because of poor attendance but nothing about why FSU was low. Maybe it's because being successful on the field works against you in this ranking.

They explain their methodology here and here.

Our approach is data and statistically driven, as we will be looking at how fans support their teams after controlling for how well the team performs. [...] For the fan analyses, we build a statistical model that predicts team revenues as a function of metrics related to team performance such as winning percentage and bowl participation. We then compare actual revenues to what is predicted based purely on team performance (and other factors such as number of students, capacity, etc…).

As I understand it, they are essentially ranking teams based on how their actual revenues compared to what they predicted using a model. The model predicts financial support being lower for a poor performing team and higher for a well performing team. Therefore, if a team that has a lot of poor seasons (i.e. .500 record or less and not many bowls) but revenues that exceeded what is predicted by the model, they will be ranked high on the list. Conversely, if a team has a lot of great seasons but revenues meet or fall below what is predicted, they will be ranked low.

That is why a school like Syracuse is ranked much higher in the ACC and why schools like Memphis and Temple are rated above Louisville in the American.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2013 11:23 AM by UofLgrad07.)
07-29-2013 11:21 AM
MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
That makes sense and is exactly what Pitt and Syracuse fans have been saying regarding the potential of their football programs. It's tough to be elite when you're stuck in a second class league and have a second class schedule. FSU fans like to talk a lot if crap but I'd be interested to see their fan support if they had a bad decade while also playing teams like UConn and USF.

It also confirms my thoughts that Clemson and Virginia Tech have the most loyal fanbases in the league.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2013 12:31 PM by MKPitt.)
07-29-2013 12:29 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(07-29-2013 12:29 PM)MKPitt Wrote:  FSU fans like to talk a lot if crap

Because our program is better than yours. Funny that you act like the non-FSU fans don't talk just as much crap about FSU.

03-shhhh
07-29-2013 01:11 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

(07-29-2013 01:11 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Because our program is better than yours. Funny that you act like the non-FSU fans don't talk just as much crap about FSU.

03-shhhh

FSU should be a Top 10 team year in and year out. I was in Tempe, Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl game against Tennessee. I worked for Houghton Mifflin Publishing at that time and our National Sales Meeting was at the Marriott Camelback Resort. I got tickets from friends at the Dallas Chapter of the FSU Alumni Group and promised them I was taking coworkers that went to FSU (one lived in Tennessee the other in North Carolina). The FSU fan support was tremendous! As you can imagine; I was there for the fun of a big time event; but literally my coworkers (grown men) were nearly in tears at the end. They really took it hard. As a former Buffalo Bills season ticket holder who made it to Tampa for the Super Bowl against the Giants; I could feel their pain...
07-29-2013 02:32 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(07-29-2013 02:32 PM)texasorange Wrote:  

03-shhhh

FSU should be a Top 10 team year in and year out. I was in Tempe, Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl game against Tennessee. I worked for Houghton Mifflin Publishing at that time and our National Sales Meeting was at the Marriott Camelback Resort. I got tickets from friends at the Dallas Chapter of the FSU Alumni Group and promised them I was taking coworkers that went to FSU (one lived in Tennessee the other in North Carolina). The FSU fan support was tremendous! As you can imagine; I was there for the fun of a big time event; but literally my coworkers (grown men) were nearly in tears at the end. They really took it hard. As a former Buffalo Bills season ticket holder who made it to Tampa for the Super Bowl against the Giants; I could feel their pain...

I think FSU is one of the most deeply passionate and friendly fan bases going by the exchanges that FSU fans have shown on Pitt message boards in response to the Labor Day game. I think that douchbags like MargeSchott are definitely in the vast minority and I wouldn't categorize his childish behavior as indicative other FSU fans.

Some people are just c*ck suckers regardless of who they root for... he is one of them.
07-29-2013 03:14 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
No idea why FSU and GT are that low.

No idea why UVA and UNC are that high.

No idea why the AAC is that high in football.
07-29-2013 05:28 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Makes Emory look like Jr. College 07-coffee3
07-29-2013 06:42 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

(07-29-2013 06:42 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Makes Emory look like Jr. College 07-coffee3

Trust me; Emory is NO junior college. Twenty two years in higher education publishing tells me that.
07-29-2013 07:23 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-29-2013 11:21 AM)UofLgrad07 Wrote:  
(07-28-2013 06:09 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  FSU seems pretty low. The article said Miami was so low because of poor attendance but nothing about why FSU was low. Maybe it's because being successful on the field works against you in this ranking.

They explain their methodology here and here.

Our approach is data and statistically driven, as we will be looking at how fans support their teams after controlling for how well the team performs. [...] For the fan analyses, we build a statistical model that predicts team revenues as a function of metrics related to team performance such as winning percentage and bowl participation. We then compare actual revenues to what is predicted based purely on team performance (and other factors such as number of students, capacity, etc…).

As I understand it, they are essentially ranking teams based on how their actual revenues compared to what they predicted using a model. The model predicts financial support being lower for a poor performing team and higher for a well performing team. Therefore, if a team that has a lot of poor seasons (i.e. .500 record or less and not many bowls) but revenues that exceeded what is predicted by the model, they will be ranked high on the list. Conversely, if a team has a lot of great seasons but revenues meet or fall below what is predicted, they will be ranked low.

That is why a school like Syracuse is ranked much higher in the ACC and why schools like Memphis and Temple are rated above Louisville in the American.

Two basic problems with your interpretation:

1) Syracuse played and won two bowls in the past three years; and,
2) Clemson and VATech, who have been decent to very good for a long time lead the pack

You are weighing one factor too heavily. There is extra weight for having loyal fans during losing periods, but it is not the only factor.
07-29-2013 08:59 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
[Image: NAQ-Football-Brand-Equity-Rankings.png]

This image says a lot about how much this analysis is worth.
07-29-2013 11:39 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(07-29-2013 11:39 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  [Image: NAQ-Football-Brand-Equity-Rankings.png]

Spot on! It looks very much like an armature did it! 07-coffee3
07-29-2013 11:43 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

03-shhhh

FSU has great fans and generates more money for its athletics than any other ACC program outside of ND and UL (and UL has some weird agreement where they get non-UL game revenue from their arena). So any Pitt fan (outside of Clairton), or, truthfully, any non-FSU, fan can suck my D.

We are the YOUNGEST football program in the ACC and arguably the best. The same goes for our graduate and professional programs despite being the oldest institution of higher learning in Florida (since 1851).

=========

With all that said, FSU is known as being a great fanbase. I don't give a F who you think you are. If you disagree your opinion is obviously as worthwhile as one of my *****. (And I'm not talking to you, texasorange.)
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2013 12:23 AM by Marge Schott.)
07-30-2013 12:20 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(07-29-2013 03:14 PM)7fielder Wrote:  

03-shhhh

I think FSU is one of the most deeply passionate and friendly fan bases going by the exchanges that FSU fans have shown on Pitt message boards in response to the Labor Day game. I think that douchbags like MargeSchott are definitely in the vast minority and I wouldn't categorize his childish behavior as indicative other FSU fans.

Well, your first part was right. Your last part was just funny.

04-rock
07-30-2013 12:34 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(07-29-2013 11:39 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  [Image: NAQ-Football-Brand-Equity-Rankings.png]

Idaho?!
07-30-2013 02:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.