UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB DC Johnson on Matt & Scot(Jox) today...
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation UAB DC Johnson on Matt & Scot(Jox) today...
Matt and Scot ‏@MASSonJOX
...UAB Defensive Coordinator Reggie Johnson: "We are excited about the direction Coach McGee is having the team going in"
...Johnson: "Our most experience that we have on the defensive side of the ball is up front on the line"
...Johnson: "Scheduling big name teams offers big game atmosphere"
...Johnson: "We always tell our guys that you never know what is going to happen on any Saturday so just go play"
...Johnson: "We have a ton of guys that can make plays on the offensive side of the ball, that shows in a guy like Darrin Reaves"
...Johnson: "This is a new group of guys and a new team, this group of guys has never been beaten"
...Johnson on if they can compete to win the C-USA championship: "Why Not?!"
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2013 02:28 PM by WesternBlazer.)
07-26-2013 02:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

RE: UAB DC Johnson on Matt & Scot(Jox) today...
Unlike last year, hopefully his unit will not give up 40+ points to bad teams like Memphis and Tulane. I want him to prove why he is making way more than any of the other assistants. If he is worth what they are paying him, his side of the ball should show some marked improvement this year.
07-26-2013 03:28 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Memphis, I'll concede, but then nobody showed up. As far as Tulane, the 9 billion turnovers didn't help much.

The D was better than the year before. I think it will be significantly better this year.
07-26-2013 06:24 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

I hope you are right, and I'm sure you probably are, as UAB played a lot of 1st year players on defense. The S&C seems to be kicking in well too. I also like the hire of Peoples........known to be a very good DL coach. Williams will be more at home coaching LB's too.
07-26-2013 08:22 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I was at the Tulane game and the gazillion turnovers made that score skewed. We also allowed a special teams TD. That one was also not on the D. We don't turn it over and we win by at least two touchdowns. Troy we had 5 turnovers that I remember. The offense certainly did no favors for the defense last year. That said from what I have seen the D is a lot better.

The offense simply cannot keep putting the D back on the field and cannot give the other team short fields. IF Austin is the starter and he keeps throwing picks and taking sacks he will get the quick hook this year. I think our special teams will be solid.

All that said to say this. It won't be the steel shield but it will be good enough to compete for a championship in C-USA.
07-27-2013 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
On a side note Matt and Scott have been pretty UAB friendly showing up for several UAB basketball games and including UAB in the news.
07-27-2013 09:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bladhmadh Offline
All American

the entire defensive coaching staff spent a week with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dick LeBeau. For those of you who don't know LeBeau is he is considered one of the best defensive minds in the history of the NFL. if our coaches didn't learn anything from LeBeau that makes our defense better they all need to be replaced.
07-27-2013 09:02 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Ha ha good point.
07-27-2013 09:23 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I didn't know that and I find it very encouraging. LeBeau pretty much invented the zone blitz, where the offense never knows where the blitz may come from. His defenses give up very very few long gains, and the result is that the average offensive gain against his defense is usually near the top of the NFL stat list.

If we can learn to do that...
07-27-2013 09:37 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(07-27-2013 09:37 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I didn't know that and I find it very encouraging. LeBeau pretty much invented the zone blitz, where the offense never knows where the blitz may come from. His defenses give up very very few long gains, and the result is that the average offensive gain against his defense is usually near the top of the NFL stat list.

If we can learn to do that...

you have to have the players to make it work but its got to help. HCGM went along. He and Tomlin are only a year apart in age. if they got along well we might end up with more knowledge coming our way. it also cant hurt the players if that coaching staff gets to know who our guys are.
07-27-2013 09:53 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

That is very encouraging ............you are correct about Austin, I know he can be very good, BUT he has to cut down on getting sacked and the INT's.
07-27-2013 10:28 AM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
In fairness to Brown, he didn't start until well into the season. Before that, he hadn't played a down of live ball in two years, and the last time he did was against high school defenses.

Once he gets that clock in his head calibrated, I think he'll be fine. The game was just a helluva lot faster than the one he last saw live.

As for the D, I love the zone blitz. I like opposing QBs to know doom is coming, but not from where.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2013 11:01 AM by Smaug.)
07-27-2013 11:00 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(07-27-2013 10:28 AM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  That is very encouraging ............you are correct about Austin, I know he can be very good, BUT he has to cut down on getting sacked and the INT's.

Freshman QB's make mistakes. The INTs and sacks he took as a freshman teach him the hard way.
07-27-2013 01:30 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

Yep, he'll probably be a lot better this year. I agree with Smaug on the Zone-Blitz........as much speed as UAB has on defense, it could work out very well for some big plays on defense.
07-27-2013 01:59 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
We are seeing the reality that UAB has the potential to become the #3 D1 team in Alabama by 2020 and perhaps the largest enrollment school of all by 2025 to 2030. Our chief competition over that time may well be USA, not Troy, since so much industry is blooming down near the bay (and they don't have anyone 60 miles away telling them "NO!!").
07-27-2013 08:07 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

I figured we were already #3.......surely the heck we are currently ahead of Troy.
07-27-2013 08:23 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

The guy who wrote Cocaine died.
07-27-2013 08:33 PM
blazertke Offline
1st String

(07-27-2013 08:23 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  I figured we were already #3.......surely the heck we are currently ahead of Troy.

Haven't proved it the last two years.
07-27-2013 08:41 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(07-27-2013 08:23 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  I figured we were already #3.......surely the heck we are currently ahead of Troy.

UAB is the number three university but we have not become the number three football program.
07-27-2013 09:05 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(07-27-2013 08:41 PM)blazertke Wrote:  

Haven't proved it the last two years.

I really like what UAB is doing under McGee. Hard for me to say that as a Troy fan, but when in-state schools do well, it's just good all around. As far as #3, Troy has taken 3 of the last 4, and the one we lost, we lost by a single point. Conference alone does not put UAB ahead of Troy.

That said, if any of you come by my tailgate, I'll gladly offer you a beer and we'll have a good time. I tailgated with a few UAB fans last year and had a great time. And please, bring as many people as you can. I want a full house on opening day. Troy will have at least 20,000 against instate UAB (we had 17,000 midseason vs FIU, and we know less than 500 were FIU fans). If you just bring 10,000K we'll be at max capacity and just might be the loudest its ever been in Veterans Memorial Stadium.

Good luck the rest of the way after Game 1. Cheers.
07-27-2013 09:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.