Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT... Councilman Joey
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
OT... Councilman Joey
Was just asked to run for Borough Council. Unsure if I'm going to run or not. Will sleep on it.
07-25-2013 09:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
RE: OT... Councilman Joey
(07-25-2013 09:21 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Was just asked to run for Borough Council. Unsure if I'm going to run or not. Will sleep on it.

Don't do it. It is not remotely worth it.
07-25-2013 09:46 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Will you run as a Libertarian candidate? IDK, it may not hurt to give it a try tbh.
07-26-2013 12:44 AM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
Are you interested in the position or other elected office? Your common sense would be useful, but in politics, common sense is a defect, not an asset.

You know your conscience, abilities and schedule. All the best in your decision.
07-26-2013 07:09 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
You seem to have too much common sense to be a politician.

With school and other commitments would you even have time?
07-26-2013 07:10 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
miko... Yea, I'd run as a Libertarian.

HTownOrange... I do have future ambitions to run for PA Senate or PA House. I really don't want anything to do w/ DubTown.

Wolfman... School and my other commitments are the reasons why I've been hesitant.
07-26-2013 09:43 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Good luck with the decision either way. People with common sense regardless of particular ideology is what's sorely needed in government.
07-26-2013 09:58 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(07-26-2013 09:43 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  miko... Yea, I'd run as a Libertarian.

HTownOrange... I do have future ambitions to run for PA Senate or PA House. I really don't want anything to do w/ DubTown.

Wolfman... School and my other commitments are the reasons why I've been hesitant.

I can tell you pretty busy lately since you're hardly on the boards. Good luck with whatever you decide and make sure you don't overextend yourself (easier said than done).

If you do get some free time, make sure to venture onto the realignment board. I have a couple of good discussions going on despite a few people trying to derail them.
07-26-2013 10:32 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
I've been asked to run for local office many times. As an atheist, I'm not willing to put my family through the death threats they would receive if an open atheist ran for office.
07-26-2013 09:52 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(07-26-2013 09:52 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I've been asked to run for local office many times. As an atheist, I'm not willing to put my family through the death threats they would receive if an open atheist ran for office.

Good man.
07-26-2013 10:00 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Joey, I like your passion and appreciate your enthusiasm for your hometown but as someone who has served on boards just like this one in the past, I am telling you that it is not worth it.

If an issue becomes heated enough - and in a small and poor town like Clairton, that is an inevitability - it will impact not only you but also your family and all of your childhood friends and associates.

And the worst part is that the people screaming at you about this or that almost always only have about a fifth of the story and don't even know what the hell they are ranting about.

If you decide to do it, I say good for you; you are truly doing something selfless and noble. However, do not say you weren't warned because trust me, it sucks. I will never serve on any board ever again.
07-27-2013 12:25 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(07-25-2013 09:21 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Was just asked to run for Borough Council. Unsure if I'm going to run or not. Will sleep on it.

It is a great thing to do as long as you can be your own man and do not owe anything to any political hacks! 04-cheers
07-27-2013 12:34 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
Dr. Isaly,

I've decided not to run. Mostly due to I don't know where I'll be at once I graduate college. My career may or may not lead me outside of Pittsburgh. So I felt it would be unfair to the people of Houston, Pa to serve them just for me to have to move out of tawn.

I haven't lived in Clairton since I graduated from high school. Still have plenty of family and friends there.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2013 06:05 PM by ClairtonPanther.)
07-27-2013 06:01 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(07-27-2013 06:01 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Dr. Isaly,

I've decided not to run. Mostly due to I don't know where I'll be at once I graduate college. My career may or may not lead me outside of Pittsburgh. So I felt it would be unfair to the people of Houston, Pa to serve them just for me to have to move out of tawn.

I haven't lived in Clairton since I graduated from high school. Still have plenty of family and friends there.

That is sound reasoning and you are doing a good deed to the people you would represent. It is one thing to move up in the level of representation (Local to state to fed) but another to move from district or region to another. 04-cheers
07-27-2013 06:18 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-27-2013 12:25 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Joey, I like your passion and appreciate your enthusiasm for your hometown but as someone who has served on boards just like this one in the past, I am telling you that it is not worth it.

If an issue becomes heated enough - and in a small and poor town like Clairton, that is an inevitability - it will impact not only you but also your family and all of your childhood friends and associates.

And the worst part is that the people screaming at you about this or that almost always only have about a fifth of the story and don't even know what the hell they are ranting about.

If you decide to do it, I say good for you; you are truly doing something selfless and noble. However, do not say you weren't warned because trust me, it sucks. I will never serve on any board ever again.

You mean like people screaming at Pitt board of trustees members about logos, stadiums, or athletic directors?
07-27-2013 07:18 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Having been a coordinator twice watching over 40 people in our plant with 8,000 employees, I can tell You It can be a nightmare. People You've been friends with will stay up nights just to create issues to throw at you. God Forbid You left some Overtime off Their Paycheck. Keeping track of the Overtime sheets for work offered is another Headache. A Councilmans job entails a lot more than that and peoples money is involved which makes once neighbors now potential enemies. tread lightly
07-28-2013 11:01 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
07-29-2013 05:24 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(07-29-2013 05:24 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  “The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

To further your point, good sir:

1. incompetocracy

n. A government of the least competent elected by the least industrious so that the government can confiscate wealth from the dwindling competent, productive populace.

One can recognize an incompetocracy when a government hasn't passed a budget in years, boasts of its exploits using oxymorons like "lead from behind," openly demonstrates its disdain and disrespect for the serf-like governed, e.g., calling them "racist, red-necked retards," but is re-elected.

Note that an incompetocracy cannot exist without a corrupt press that refuses to expose the incompetence and corruption of said incompetocracy and assists the incompetocracy in the character assassination of those who would competently govern.

From: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...mpetocracy
07-29-2013 09:13 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(07-29-2013 05:24 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  “The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

While I agree on a larger scale, I tend to disagree with the premise the more local the election gets, and I believe there are always exceptions to the rule.

Our town and county council is for the most part a bunch of decent people who do their best to do the right thing. A lot of times their hands are tied by unfunded mandates passed down from the state and federal government, but they work to make these as painless as possible. With one or two exceptions these are people who have no designs on furthering their political career beyond what they have already accomplished, although I wish a couple would step up and run for state office and have expressed that opinion to them.
08-01-2013 10:42 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(07-27-2013 06:01 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Dr. Isaly,

This is why you'll never be a good politician. Your logic and desire to do the right thing will never allow you to be an effective political whore politician.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk HD
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 07:55 AM by Shannon Panther.)
08-03-2013 09:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.