Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Off Topic Dangerous Colleges List
Bookmark and Share
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Off Topic Dangerous Colleges List
Since we seem to get into dialog about how "dangerous" NIU is I thought that I would post this list (link)

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dang...bi-2012-11
07-24-2013 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Off Topic Dangerous Colleges List
Clearly no one should ever attend UCLA, Vanderbilt, or Duke.

Freakin' cesspools.
07-24-2013 07:42 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

The biggest problem NIU has is that a majority of high school students and their parents believe NIU is not safe. They all have a friend of a friend that has told them stories of being rob or beat up. To them perception is reality and you are not going to change it with stats. We are losing a generation of outstanding students because of perception!
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2013 08:27 PM by NIU75.)
07-24-2013 08:27 PM
Advertisement

sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(07-24-2013 08:27 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  The biggest problem NIU has is that a majority of high school students and their parents believe NIU is not safe. They all have a friend of a friend that has told them stories of being rob or beat up. To them perception is reality and you are not going to change it with stats. We are losing a generation of outstanding students because of perception!
Where exactly does this information come from?
07-25-2013 10:21 AM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-25-2013 10:21 AM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  
(07-24-2013 08:27 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  The biggest problem NIU has is that a majority of high school students and their parents believe NIU is not safe. They all have a friend of a friend that has told them stories of being rob or beat up. To them perception is reality and you are not going to change it with stats. We are losing a generation of outstanding students because of perception!

Last I checked we had the most applications for incoming freshmen in our history.
07-25-2013 10:35 AM
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

Next time you are at a party or sporting event in the burbs, ask the parents why their kids pick a certain school. Then ask them about NIU. Then ask their kids about NIU. Talk to your kids high school teachers about NIU. You would be shock on the perception of parents, students and teachers.
Yes applications are up but talent level is the same.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 11:02 AM by NIU75.)
07-25-2013 11:01 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: Off Topic Dangerous College
It is laughable. Arkansas State is on this list and I'd sleep easily in a tent in the middle of our campus. There are at least three other schools in my OWN STATE I'd feel less safe on and one within 70 miles not on the list that I wouldn't go near.

A lot of people can't realize how absurd this is having never been to the ASU campus.
07-25-2013 11:32 AM
Advertisement

sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(07-25-2013 11:01 AM)NIU75 Wrote:  

Next time you are at a party or sporting event in the burbs, ask the parents why their kids pick a certain school. Then ask them about NIU. Then ask their kids about NIU. Talk to your kids high school teachers about NIU. You would be shock on the perception of parents, students and teachers.
Yes applications are up but talent level is the same.
I take anecdotal info with a large grain of salt. And, iirc, this is a favorite theme of yours so I suspect there's some confirmation bias.
07-25-2013 03:26 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I have come to this thread to state explicitly that (insert school) is not dangerous because (insert reason) and actually (rival school) is much more dangerous because (insert reason.)
07-25-2013 03:32 PM
niucyberdawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Data collection seems flawed and skewed leading to redickuless misconceptions.

BSU, WIU, SIU and Duke on the list are almost laughable.

While so many others I can think of are not on the list for whatever reasons ....tell me the campus and neighborhoods surrounding USC, Marquette , Washington St Louis and U Chgo are less dangerous than walking around neighborhoods in Muncie near Ball State.

you cannot discount the immediate surroundings of a campus where most students travel frequently
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2013 03:52 PM by niucyberdawg.)
07-28-2013 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.