10. UAlbany
11. Rhode Island
07-24-2013 07:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
5000DOLLARBILL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
RE: CAA Media Day
(07-23-2013 10:51 PM)JMUDukes20 Wrote:  Preseason All Conference Team picks for JMU

Cameron Starke K
http://youtu.be/VDxMLOox-Yw?a

Stephon Robertson DPOY
Dean Marlowe S
http://youtu.be/OqnRII7PJhQ?a

Funny that one of Stephon's CAA highlights was from a hit that incurred a big penalty against richmond. Even after reviewing again, I think it was just a dadgum good clean hit (Head stayed up and after ball was delivered).... he flailed his arms afterwards which probably made it look more malicious to the ref to call something.
07-24-2013 07:34 AM
HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

(07-24-2013 07:32 AM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Predicted order of finish(first place votes in parenthesis):

1. Villanova (11)
2. Towson (3)
3. New Hampshire (3)
4. Richmond (1)
5. James Madison (4)
6. Delaware
7. Stony Brook
8. Maine
9. William and Mary
10. UAlbany
11. Rhode Island

We should be #2 but I don't put much stock in preseason polls or anything else of a preseason variety when it's all guessing. Since it's not an exact science, I see Wells, Scott, Brown, Birdsong and Snow as all CAA and some as All American by the end of the season. Leaving Wells off was a major mistake. He will be better than any other lineman in JMU history by the end of the year. Hell, he was better than Wattford was in many games last year.
07-24-2013 07:40 AM
5000DOLLARBILL Offline
Special Teams

(07-24-2013 07:40 AM)HotHamandCheese84 Wrote:  
(07-24-2013 07:32 AM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Predicted order of finish(first place votes in parenthesis):

1. Villanova (11)
2. Towson (3)
3. New Hampshire (3)
4. Richmond (1)
5. James Madison (4)
6. Delaware
7. Stony Brook
8. Maine
9. William and Mary
10. UAlbany
11. Rhode Island

We should be #2 but I don't put much stock in preseason polls or anything else of a preseason variety when it's all guessing. Since it's not an exact science, I see Wells, Scott, Brown, Birdsong and Snow as all CAA and some as All American by the end of the season. Leaving Wells off was a major mistake. He will be better than any other lineman in JMU history by the end of the year. Hell, he was better than Wattford was in many games last year.

thats bold, have to admit, hard for me to notice individual lineman unless i go back to re-watch games, but Earl cull pull and run with the best of them as a lead blocker.....
07-24-2013 07:49 AM
Special Teams

(07-24-2013 07:49 AM)5000DOLLARBILL Wrote:  

1. Villanova (11)
2. Towson (3)
3. New Hampshire (3)
4. Richmond (1)
5. James Madison (4)
6. Delaware
7. Stony Brook
8. Maine
9. William and Mary
10. UAlbany
11. Rhode Island

thats bold, have to admit, hard for me to notice individual lineman unless i go back to re-watch games, but Earl cull pull and run with the best of them as a lead blocker.....

I love Earl. Don't get me wrong. He's a great lineman. I watch the line play more than anything else. I'm a former, mediocre lineman myself. I think Wells is a special guy and according to a high up source within football, he graded higher than Earl as a rising senior at the Pro Day at JMU. Nothing wrong with having 2 stud linemen in the NFL in successive years.
07-24-2013 07:57 AM
Advertisement

DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
How do we get the 2nd most #1 votes but end up 5th?
07-24-2013 08:06 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison

1. Villanova (11)
2. Towson (3)
3. New Hampshire (3)
4. Richmond (1)
5. James Madison (4)
6. Delaware
7. Stony Brook
8. Maine
9. William and Mary
10. UAlbany
11. Rhode Island

-No, JMU should be right about where they are at. TU and NOVA are clear favorites.

-In addition to Robertson & Marlowe, agree on Wells, Scott and Snow being All CAA, too. Heck, DQ has been 2nd team All CAA the last 2 seasons, and Snow was a 3rd teamer last season.

-Not sure about Birdsong and Brown. Hope you're right.

-You forgot about Till. I see him as potentially the 3rd best player on defense. Also could throw Mosely and Stanton into the mix..At least a half doz players on defense that have the potential to be 1st-3rd team All CAA.
07-24-2013 08:17 AM
Special Teams

Agree on the ones I missed. We shall see. This JMU team is loaded again. Don't see us losing to Nova 2 years in a row. The TU game hopefully won't matter because we will have already clinched the CAA and home field for the playoffs by then.
07-24-2013 08:20 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(07-24-2013 08:20 AM)HotHamandCheese84 Wrote:  Agree on the ones I missed. We shall see. This JMU team is loaded again. Don't see us losing to Nova 2 years in a row. The TU game hopefully won't matter because we will have already clinched the CAA and home field for the playoffs by then.

I don't know about NOVA. It really depends on our new O, as their 3-3-5 D is really effective against the read option.

They absolutely MASHED us last year, and they return a lot.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2013 08:38 AM by JMU2004.)
07-24-2013 08:37 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
I can't believe we still get votes to win the league. I believe we have not finished better than fourth the last four seasons.
07-24-2013 08:41 AM
Advertisement

Special Teams

We are running a new scheme and I don't know that their defense can rely on the predictability. It was easier to scout a Thorpe team. Put some pressure on the ends and he will run up the middle. Birdsong will run but he will hang in and throw the ball when pressured. His first instinct is not the run. The CAA won't have the ability to prep for this team as well from old film.
07-24-2013 08:43 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(07-24-2013 08:43 AM)HotHamandCheese84 Wrote:  We are running a new scheme and I don't know that their defense can rely on the predictability. It was easier to scout a Thorpe team. Put some pressure on the ends and he will run up the middle. Birdsong will run but he will hang in and throw the ball when pressured. His first instinct is not the run. The CAA won't have the ability to prep for this team as well from old film.

Birdsong also seems to you know, be able to hit receivers more than 12 yards down the field.
07-24-2013 08:51 AM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
Take a look at those ranking and take out JMU (CUSA) and W&M (Pat) and insert Elon and Yeager has a mess. If JMU and DE were to go CUSA and W&M to Patriot, burned toast.
07-24-2013 09:27 AM
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(07-24-2013 08:43 AM)HotHamandCheese84 Wrote:  We are running a new scheme and I don't know that their defense can rely on the predictability. It was easier to scout a Thorpe team. Put some pressure on the ends and he will run up the middle. Birdsong will run but he will hang in and throw the ball when pressured. His first instinct is not the run. The CAA won't have the ability to prep for this team as well from old film.

+1 new stuff here they wont know what hits 'em.
07-24-2013 03:23 PM
POTUS#4 Offline
1st String

(07-24-2013 08:06 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  How do we get the 2nd most #1 votes but end up 5th?

I think JMU is the great unknown at this point because of the turnover with offensive coaching staff, change in philosophy, etc. Some think it could turn out really well, some think the opposite. Personally, I think the fact that the D should be very solid and the fact that we've hired a very experienced O-coordinator should mean that we'll be at or very close to the top.

I would never vote W&M as low as 9, though. That just seems disrespectful.
07-24-2013 03:30 PM
Advertisement

GaryMatthews Offline
2nd String

(07-24-2013 08:51 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  Birdsong also seems to you know, be able to hit receivers more than 12 yards down the field.

Yes, but only if he intends to throw to a receiver who is only five yards down field.

...you know, because he launched passes far over the heads of our receivers quite a few times last year.

03-razz
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2013 03:50 PM by GaryMatthews.)
07-24-2013 03:49 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2013 03:49 PM)GaryMatthews Wrote:  
(07-24-2013 08:51 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  Birdsong also seems to you know, be able to hit receivers more than 12 yards down the field.

Yes, but only if he intends to throw to a receiver who is only five yards down field.

...you know, because he launched passes far over the heads of our receivers quite a few times last year.

03-razz

You sure that you saw Birdsong launch those passes over the receivers heads? That was Thorp's trademark. Birdsong struggled against GA State but not by throwing over his receiver's head.
07-24-2013 04:13 PM
rhoxygem Offline
Water Engineer

(07-24-2013 08:17 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

1. Villanova (11)
2. Towson (3)
3. New Hampshire (3)
4. Richmond (1)
5. James Madison (4)
6. Delaware
7. Stony Brook
8. Maine
9. William and Mary
10. UAlbany
11. Rhode Island

-No, JMU should be right about where they are at. TU and NOVA are clear favorites.

-In addition to Robertson & Marlowe, agree on Wells, Scott and Snow being All CAA, too. Heck, DQ has been 2nd team All CAA the last 2 seasons, and Snow was a 3rd teamer last season.

-Not sure about Birdsong and Brown. Hope you're right.

-You forgot about Till. I see him as potentially the 3rd best player on defense. Also could throw Mosely and Stanton into the mix..At least a half doz players on defense that have the potential to be 1st-3rd team All CAA.

Stanton and Mosely should definately be in the mix. Stats for some reason are not always taken into account. I'm not sure of the rules of voting and such.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/r...sacks.html

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/r...sloss.html

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/r...ckles.html
07-24-2013 04:51 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2013 03:30 PM)POTUS#4 Wrote:  
(07-24-2013 08:06 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  How do we get the 2nd most #1 votes but end up 5th?

I think JMU is the great unknown at this point because of the turnover with offensive coaching staff, change in philosophy, etc. Some think it could turn out really well, some think the opposite. Personally, I think the fact that the D should be very solid and the fact that we've hired a very experienced O-coordinator should mean that we'll be at or very close to the top.

I would never vote W&M as low as 9, though. That just seems disrespectful.

I would have flipped them with Maine and had W&M at #8.
07-24-2013 05:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.