Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Looking for opinions/insights re: Comcast vs. FiOS...
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Looking for opinions/insights re: Comcast vs. FiOS...
I am currently a Comcast customer and while I'm not over-the-moon with that relationship, I'm not really dissatisfied either. Verizon came by today and offered a lot more channels for slightly less cost and I'm looking for people's insights who have previously made the switch or who know people who have.

I am talking phone, Internet and cable (Ultimate package) plus two DVRs.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone wishes to share.
07-17-2013 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RutgersMike Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Looking for opinions/insights re: Comcast vs. FiOS...
I'm happy with Verizon. I pay $160 per month for that Triple Play package. The key thing is to make sure that you cancel any complimentary pay channels that you get for the first six months. I actually tried to cancel those and Verizon extended the intro rate for another year.
07-17-2013 10:24 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
comcast gave us some huge fits with a phone number change. they dicked us around for 2 months until we finally called some government agency about it. comcast called us later in the day and played kiss ass and got everything fixed within 10 min.
07-17-2013 10:42 PM
Advertisement

mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I had Comcast and was really unhappy with it. Every night at nine my boxes would spontaneously shut off and reboot. That would take a minute or two. Comcast never bothered to fix whatever the problem was and customer service and tech support didn't seem interested in doing anything for me.
I switched to Fios as soon as it was available in my town. I've had it at least 5 years. The first thirty days were terrible. They were completely overwhelmed by the demand. When a problem developed with the equipment, I couldn't get a service call to fix it. Trying to get my system serviced was a nightmare. After twenty days of problems, I told customer service that if my system didn't work by day 28 of the 30 day trial, I was going to cut their equipment out of the wall and throw it on my lawn for them to pick up. On day 27 two guys showed up and replaced everything from the pole to my tv's. I haven't had a problem since. The internet is lightning fast and I have more HD stations than I could possibly ever watch.
07-17-2013 10:47 PM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
I wonder how long it will be until we can just have everything wireless or if that will never happen.
07-18-2013 11:57 AM
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
I had FIOS and was very happy with the service (cable, internet & phone for less than $150 without any premium channels). Unfortunately when I moved I had no choice but to get Time Warner, which is appears to be no different than Comcast in frequent re-boots.

Be thankful you have a choice since at least there is an option (other than satellite, which I don't consider an option).

Furthermore, Verizon has announced they are discontinuing their FIOS build-out as it was too expensive for the return.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 08:27 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
07-22-2013 08:24 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
I'm having issues with Comcast now, been with them for 10 years. Seriously considering switching to something else. They can't seem to get my phone to work (yes, I'm still one of the few that still has a home phone, mainly for sercurity alarm). I've called 5 times, they say it's fixed but it still doesn't work. They suck.

Looking at FiOS or maybe Direct TV.
07-22-2013 08:30 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
I had Cablevision and its predecessors until about 2.5 years ago. We switched to FiOS at that time and couldn't be happier. The internet speed is great, phone audio quality is very good and plenty of HD channels.

Unfortunately they are suspending their buildout and focusing on areas where they're already 90% of the way there.
07-22-2013 09:16 AM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Have had Verizon FiOS for about 2 years, no complaints.
07-22-2013 05:18 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I switched from Comcast to Fios. My experience, from what I've read about customer service, has not been typical. While on Comcast, we were at the end of a very unstable line and would lose channels daily. Comcast customer service was as good as could be expected. They came out every week and would get most of the channels back but like I said we would start to lose channels daily. We needed a change. So when our 2 year agreement ran out, we switched to Fios. I've had little trouble with it and I like the DVR better because you don't have to wait for the show to finish recording before you can start watching it. FF and RW on live TV as well as of course the DVR. The 2 times we have lost connectivity (phone, internet and cable) they came out the next day and fixed it. Most recently they ran a temporary line to the pole so we'd be back online right away and then came out later and dug a permanent line. I am vastly more satisfied with Fios but from what I've read nationally, Verizon has the worst rated customer service but that has not been my experience.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 06:09 PM by ChrisLords.)
07-22-2013 06:08 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
You'll lose cable content on both periodically that you'll have to renegotiate in some form to get back. I found that being the case more with Comcast than Verizon.

Internet's internet...I wasn't fond of the wifi signal from the Comcast equipment. Didn't seem to go as far around the house.
07-23-2013 02:02 PM
CPslograd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State
I absolutely loved Fios. Moved and can't get it anymore.
07-23-2013 04:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.