Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Summer topic - QB discussion
Bookmark and Share
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
It doesn't look like JMU is going to land one of the Maryland QB transfers so we are edging closer to a season with Birdsong or bust.

There is a lot to be concerned about.
1- He is a true sophomore and has only been in college the same amount of time as a redshirt Freshman.
2- He never played on a winning team in high school.
3- JMU coaches are proclaiming that they will pass more this year, but Birdsong seemed to be more developed as a runner than a passer last year. His 53% completion percentage was next to last in the 12 team CAA.
4- if he gets hurt, it appears that JMU will be reduced to a pure running offense and even more one dimensional than usual.

I'm rooting for him to have major development from last year to this year. However, the most important position on the field is not the strength of the team.07-coffee3
07-11-2013 09:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmusuperfan Offline
All American

We got the so cal kid who played post grad last yr
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 09:21 PM by jmusuperfan.)
07-11-2013 09:20 PM
JMU Online
All American

I Root For: JMU
RE: Summer topic - QB discussion
(07-11-2013 09:20 PM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  We got the so cal kid who played post grad next yr

Who is that?
07-11-2013 09:21 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

QB: 6-4, 215 Lukas O'Connor. He spent last season playing post-grad at Avon Old Farms. Will have full eligibility.
07-11-2013 09:29 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

It looks like O'Connor guided his team to a 1-7 record last year. Don't expect him to get on the field.
Plan B this year will be a run based Spread Option.
07-11-2013 09:37 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Birdsong's a big dude. Running a pro style offense should keep him out of the line of fire. I think he plays every game, and I think he gets better as the season goes along.
07-11-2013 09:40 PM
Advertisement

jmusuperfan Offline
All American

(07-11-2013 09:37 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  It looks like O'Connor guided his team to a 1-7 record last year. Don't expect him to get on the field.

1 year of post grad. Who knows what that team had. I think he just looked for a landing spot when is initial plans fell through.

He was going to umass as a pref walk on earlier this year
07-11-2013 09:43 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(07-11-2013 09:43 PM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 09:37 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  It looks like O'Connor guided his team to a 1-7 record last year. Don't expect him to get on the field.

1 year of post grad. Who knows what that team had. I think he just looked for a landing spot when is initial plans fell through.

He was going to umass as a pref walk on earlier this year

fwiw, which is not much as far as help this year- we also have a pref walk on qb coming in from the 757, Tabb's Daniel Schiele. He was in the state all star game. He is described as a "long, tall, pocket passer" by recruit757.com He is listed on the all star game roster at 6'5" 225. I assume he will not see the field this year.
07-11-2013 10:56 PM
bulldogg Offline
1st String

I am a Birdsong fan. I think he has tremendous potential. However, he will only be as good as his offensive line. If they can protect him and block for him like the 2008 OL, I believe he could be better than Landers. My opinion, humble or otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 12:30 AM by bulldogg.)
07-12-2013 12:29 AM
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

Anybody have an update on Thourogood?
07-12-2013 08:13 AM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
remember that time we beat WM with 0 passing yards.

Gosh that was awesome
07-12-2013 08:36 AM
Advertisement

Onyxduke7 Offline
Water Engineer

(07-12-2013 08:13 AM)JMUska Wrote:  Anybody have an update on Thourogood?

Hard to assume anything other than a nagging hamstring injury, But i'm with you. I'd love to know how he's doing.
07-12-2013 08:36 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 08:36 AM)Onyxduke7 Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 08:13 AM)JMUska Wrote:  Anybody have an update on Thourogood?

Hard to assume anything other than a nagging hamstring injury, But i'm with you. I'd love to know how he's doing.

I'm beginning to wonder if Thourogood's hamstrings are too big for his body. 03-lmfao
07-12-2013 08:42 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 08:36 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  remember that time we beat WM with 0 passing yards.

Gosh that was awesome

NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS!
07-12-2013 12:10 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I feel pretty hopeful about Birdsong this year. He had some very good moments as QB last year and some very Freshmen moments, but I thought I saw far more upside than downside.
I am more concerned about him learning the system than I am with his passing. As bulldogg said, I think his success will depend on how good our OLine will be, as well as their health. They execute and stay healthy, we'll see good things from Birdsong.
07-12-2013 12:23 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-11-2013 09:29 PM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  QB: 6-4, 215 Lukas O'Connor. He spent last season playing post-grad at Avon Old Farms. Will have full eligibility.
Also haven't seen anyone mention this kid (not that he would be ready for 2013). Listed as a 6'3", 240, Pro Style QB:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/jamesmadison/foo...QerAHfXuZ_
07-12-2013 07:52 PM
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(07-12-2013 12:29 AM)bulldogg Wrote:  I am a Birdsong fan. I think he has tremendous potential. However, he will only be as good as his offensive line. If they can protect him and block for him like the 2008 OL, I believe he could be better than Landers. My opinion, humble or otherwise.

Whoah......don't know about that. When Landers was in there the offense moved like a hot knife through butter most of the time. I saw Birdsong against an unprepared for him Richmond defense and then a flop against Ga. St. He is a huge question mark.
07-12-2013 08:36 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2013 08:36 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 12:29 AM)bulldogg Wrote:  I am a Birdsong fan. I think he has tremendous potential. However, he will only be as good as his offensive line. If they can protect him and block for him like the 2008 OL, I believe he could be better than Landers. My opinion, humble or otherwise.

Whoah......don't know about that. When Landers was in there the offense moved like a hot knife through butter most of the time. I saw Birdsong against an unprepared for him Richmond defense and then a flop against Ga. St. He is a huge question mark.

While agree against GA State, he didn't shine, but I thought the whole team just went into a relaxed state after we jumped out to a decent lead, especially the "D".
07-13-2013 07:11 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-13-2013 07:11 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 08:36 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  

While agree against GA State, he didn't shine, but I thought the whole team just went into a relaxed state after we jumped out to a decent lead, especially the "D".
Yeah, dominated the game statistically. Cruising, up by 3 TDs middle of 4th qtr. Then the whole team went on a siesta. Then special teams practically gave up a TD. Defense gave one up (did tighten up right at the end). Offense didn't do anything their last 2 possessions. Result was a 7 point win that wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated, and a bunch of clowns later on on here claiming JMU "almost" lost to GST.
07-13-2013 10:08 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Regarding the Georgia State game. Obviously we were not sharp that day. But you also have to factor in the high regard Mickey has for Bill Curry. While no doubt Mickey played to win, I believe he in no way wanted to embarrass him.( remember the honorary letterman honor during pre-game). Likely played just well enough to win keeping the play calls rather vanilla.
07-13-2013 03:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.