Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Frank The Tank doing three part series on conference realignment (LINK)
Bookmark and Share
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
For those unfamilar -- 'Frank "the other Frank" the Tank' is a very knowlegable poster on various boards around the Internet. Here he's doing a Q & A on realignment in three parts --- the first being the affect of the recent conference Grant of Rights. The site is Burnt Orange Nation (Texas) >>>>

Quote:...To me, there are three key players to conference realignment stability (or instability): Texas, Notre Dame and North Carolina. As long as all three of those schools are happy, then it's tough to find much of a case for any of the 5 power conferences to proactively make moves. If any one of those three gets itchy, though, then that's where things get interesting again....

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/7/...k-the-tank
07-08-2013 07:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
RE: Frank The Tank doing three part series on conference realignment (LINK)
bout right
07-08-2013 08:05 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
It was a fascinating read. It appears Texas is the catalyst of future realignment. Frank the Tank (he really should adopt a name befitting his penetrating analysis) thinks Texas will stay in the Big 12 unless the Longhorn Network fails. I think there are two other factors involved that are elemental drivers of human undertakings: fear and pride.

I am convinced that Texas fears the success of TX AM and the Longhorns are very proud of their preeminent status the State of Texas. The Longhorns will not stand idle if TX AM consistently shines in their new SEC home.
07-08-2013 09:11 PM
BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
Love that movie.
07-08-2013 09:12 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
The SEC took A&M in hopes of landing the horns someday. Folks in Texas know this.
07-08-2013 11:38 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(07-08-2013 09:11 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  It was a fascinating read. It appears Texas is the catalyst of future realignment. Frank the Tank (he really should adopt a name befitting his penetrating analysis) thinks Texas will stay in the Big 12 unless the Longhorn Network fails. I think there are two other factors involved that are elemental drivers of human undertakings: fear and pride.

I am convinced that Texas fears the success of TX AM and the Longhorns are very proud of their preeminent status the State of Texas. The Longhorns will not stand idle if TX AM consistently shines in their new SEC home.

I agree. Being from Texas, I have talked to many Longhorn and Aggies fans. A&Ms jump to the SEC and immediate first-year johnny football success in their new conference sat in the craw of many Texas fans.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 08:45 AM by tiger2000.)
07-09-2013 08:45 AM
Advertisement

Pastnerized Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TIGERS
(07-08-2013 11:38 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  The SEC took A&M in hopes of landing the horns someday. Folks in Texas know this.
But, that's not true. That's just what thousands of egotistical Longhorn fans are saying.(Not that SEC wouldn't take them, mind you)
They took A&M because this is war; and AM gives them a huge Texas/Big 12 footprint.
And various and sundry other reasons(recruiting,etc.).
AND if Texas isn't careful, the SEC will steal the Longhorn silverware.

Texas must strike back with a footprint in SEC territory.
I know a good-sized one that's available.
07-09-2013 08:52 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
The SEC took A&M b/c A&M asked, and the SEC thought it made sense, not b/c the SEC was actively pursuing them.
07-09-2013 09:00 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

I disagree with Frank The Tank. My belief is that the key program in the entire NCAA is Oklahoma. Heaven help us if the $EC is able to lure (wants) Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. If that happens, Texas is temporarily ******, and the Big 12 gets blown up. For that matter; the entire NCAA will get blown up.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 09:06 AM by Stammers.)
07-09-2013 09:04 AM
TigersRuleTheWorld Offline
Banned

I Root For: UofM
[Image: Frank-the-Tank.jpg]
07-09-2013 09:14 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(07-08-2013 11:38 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  The SEC took A&M in hopes of landing the horns someday. Folks in Texas know this.

Um, no.

But your statement an indication of Texas' biggest strength AND weakness.

That is, their sheer size and ego - Texas has a huge following and it would be very difficult to balance their demands with the SEC's media and revenue model. They want to be top-dog in any conference right out of the gate, and the SEC is too well established as a football brand with great media rights to kneel to those demands.

Of course, nobody can see 5/10/20 years ahead but I don't see the SEC's brand or media coverage (ESPN love-fest) diminishing any time in the near future.
07-09-2013 09:25 AM
Advertisement

Pastnerized Offline
Heisman

Let's put it this way. As big and bad as UTexas IS, the SEC is big enough and bad enough to teach UT some humility if it feels the need.
That said, if Texas chooses to stand pat (and rest of B12 goes along), the SEC will eventually chew up, spit out, and belch the Big 12.
07-09-2013 12:21 PM
JRR_IV Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-09-2013 08:52 AM)Pastnerized Wrote:  
But, that's not true. That's just what thousands of egotistical Longhorn fans are saying.(Not that SEC wouldn't take them, mind you)
They took A&M because this is war; and AM gives them a huge Texas/Big 12 footprint.

who would that be?
07-09-2013 01:27 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(07-08-2013 07:59 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  For those unfamilar -- 'Frank "the other Frank" the Tank' is a very knowlegable poster on various boards around the Internet. Here he's doing a Q & A on realignment in three parts --- the first being the affect of the recent conference Grant of Rights. The site is Burnt Orange Nation (Texas) >>>>

Quote:...To me, there are three key players to conference realignment stability (or instability): Texas, Notre Dame and North Carolina. As long as all three of those schools are happy, then it's tough to find much of a case for any of the 5 power conferences to proactively make moves. If any one of those three gets itchy, though, then that's where things get interesting again....

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/7/...k-the-tank

I wonder how long it took him to figure that out. Texas and Notre Dame change everything. Not so sure about NC.
07-09-2013 01:59 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
The power the University of Texas has in the state dwarfs any other university including TAMU. Take away Governor Goodhair and that is even a bigger discrepancy.

UT isn't scared about what the SEC takes in the state because UT knows that they could always join the SEC and take it back if they want. The door to join any conference will be open to them once they ride the money farm that is the LHN as far as they can.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 02:01 PM by aTxTIGER.)
07-09-2013 02:01 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(07-09-2013 12:21 PM)Pastnerized Wrote:  Let's put it this way. As big and bad as UTexas IS, the SEC is big enough and bad enough to teach UT some humility if it feels the need.
That said, if Texas chooses to stand pat (and rest of B12 goes along), the SEC will eventually chew up, spit out, and belch the Big 12.

There is enough talent and room for both to be successful and earn gozillions of dollars. Don't forget that Texas' little sister Texas A&M from the Big XII and new to the SEC was the only one to beat Alabama. Just sayin'.
07-09-2013 02:02 PM
Advertisement

ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

(07-09-2013 01:27 PM)JRR_IV Wrote:  
(07-09-2013 08:52 AM)Pastnerized Wrote:  

who would that be?

FSU?
07-09-2013 02:38 PM
Pastnerized Offline
Heisman

undefined
07-09-2013 06:46 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(07-09-2013 09:04 AM)Stammers Wrote:  I disagree with Frank The Tank. My belief is that the key program in the entire NCAA is Oklahoma. Heaven help us if the $EC is able to lure (wants) Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. If that happens, Texas is temporarily ******, and the Big 12 gets blown up. For that matter; the entire NCAA will get blown up.

That will free Texas from Tech and Baylor
07-09-2013 09:03 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(07-09-2013 02:01 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  The power the University of Texas has in the state dwarfs any other university including TAMU. Take away Governor Goodhair and that is even a bigger discrepancy.

UT isn't scared about what the SEC takes in the state because UT knows that they could always join the SEC and take it back if they want. The door to join any conference will be open to them once they ride the money farm that is the LHN as far as they can.

The key is the LHN, I agree. but the bylaws of the SEC require 2/3rds vote for membership.

The SEC has for a long time used the "states" blockade (FL not allowing other FL schools in, LA not allowing other LA schools in, and vote trading to ensure this).

Plus, you have the issue of Texas saying "we make the pie bigger and therefore should get a bigger piece of the overall."

For long time SEC schools use to equal media and revenue sharing, this would not sit well.

If the long horn network fails, things will be very interesting - not that tis expected nor something that would happen overnight.

All speculative at this point, but fun to ponder...
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 09:09 PM by tiger2000.)
07-09-2013 09:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.