Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Opinion on ECU to SEC
RIFRAF Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
Opinion on ECU to SEC
I don't believe we would ever be invited, but it sure is nice to see us discussed.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/summer-stor.../12624316/

Summer storyline cocktail: One part P.J., one part Pirates

With the changing of the seasons, the winds of noise swirling about regarding UNC guard PJ Hairston and ECU's athletic future are picking up.

By Caulton Tudor
Updated at 1:46 p.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More speculation about realignment and conference hopping

The ACC seemingly has stabilized, thanks primarily to its recently signed grant of rights covenant. And at least for now, the Big Ten seems content with its East Coast additions of Maryland and Rutgers.

But don’t trash your redistricting map just yet. There’s too much backstage noise going on in the SEC and Big 12 to assume the landscape has completely settled for the foreseeable future.

With the ACC soon to be at 15 members, and Notre Dame perhaps trending toward full-time membership at some point, it’s difficult to imagine that the SEC will stay at 14 members or that the Big 12 is locked in on 10.

The SEC is the primary force, of course. But with the ACC outposts apparently secure, it’s not easy to predict where the king football league will scout.

The most obvious prospect is either Oklahoma or Oklahoma State of the Big 12. Given the cable TV market impetus behind expansion, the SEC doesn’t need both the Cowboys and the Sooners.

But since there’s a possibility Oklahoma legislators could tie the two schools to a common conference future, the SEC may not be able to bring aboard one without the other.

The two glaring geographical voids in the SEC’s cable portfolio are Virginia and North Carolina, which has led to some speculation that ECU will at least be in the conversation at some point.

The Pirates have recently committed to the new American Athletic Conference, but would be most viable option for the SEC to dent the North Carolina and eastern Virginia cable markets.

ECU certainly doesn’t have the tradition of most SEC schools, but the football-first profile and enthusiastic fan base factors have been in place for decades.

Regardless of what the SEC does, the Big 12 is almost certain to add a second East Coast base if for no other reason than to give West Virginia a reasonably close league neighbor.

It’s all probably a pipe dream for ECU fans, but there’s no law that pipe dreams can’t come true.
07-03-2013 03:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Opinion on ECU to SEC
The SEC invites flagships. If the SEC ever invites ECU, it will be under the same conditions that the "Big East" did after 20 years of ECU dreaming: After it had sunk so low that it will no longer be the "SEC" that ECU dreamed about joining.

ECU's position is the same as that old saying: "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would want me to join". 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 03:53 PM by quo vadis.)
07-03-2013 03:52 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(07-03-2013 03:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  The SEC invites flagships. If the SEC ever invites ECU, it will be under the same conditions that the "Big East" did after 20 years of ECU dreaming: After it had sunk so low that it will no longer be the "SEC" that ECU dreamed about joining.

ECU's position is the same as that old saying: "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would want me to join". 07-coffee3

You sure are a bitter little man
07-03-2013 04:00 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-03-2013 03:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  The SEC invites flagships. If the SEC ever invites ECU, it will be under the same conditions that the "Big East" did after 20 years of ECU dreaming: After it had sunk so low that it will no longer be the "SEC" that ECU dreamed about joining.

The work someone did a few weeks ago on the academic rankings of the various schools was telling. Of the 65 schools in the Big 5, every single one is categorized as a national university and ranked in USNWR and only TCU didn't rank as a high or very high research university in Carnegie's rankings. Of the public schools in the Big 5, only Texas Tech and Louisville aren't "flagships" and UL is the clear #2 in Kentucky and Tech is #3 or #4 in the 2nd largest state in the country.
07-03-2013 04:06 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

What a great piece, you have UNC scandal and ECU to the SEC talk. It's nearly perfect, except for the fact that UNC will find a way to skate again and ECU isn't getting into the SEC, but still it's close to perfect. 03-lmfao
07-03-2013 04:32 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
I would love for ECU to receive an SEC invite just to hear the howls from the Tar Holes.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 04:37 PM by GoApps70.)
07-03-2013 04:37 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Its difficult to imagine right now but I suppose if ECU can become a Top 10 team and fill a 60,000 seat stadium they might have a chance.
07-03-2013 04:39 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(07-03-2013 04:00 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  

Quo once pretended through another screen name to be a member of the ECU fanbase. I guess he/she has gotten over that.

LMAO
07-03-2013 04:39 PM
mufootballfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mercer & UGA
No chance.
07-03-2013 05:08 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Haha, even ECU is trying to get out of the AAC!
07-03-2013 05:39 PM
Kyle0614 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

Disagree, what about Auburn? The "flagship" is Alabama, what about Miss. St.? The "flagship" I guess, would be Ole' Miss, but that is still a stretch, they both have about the same suckage,...ole miss and miss st i mean,

if you ask me auburn and miss st are just parasites to the conference because there whiners felt they deserved an invite and the state government I suppose helped get the both of them in?
07-03-2013 06:24 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-03-2013 04:00 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  

No, you are. Someone who isn't bitter would recognize that my post is purely facts-based. As for my feelings about ECU? If I had had my way, you guys would have been in the Big East at least 5 years ago, and I've said as much many times around here. 07-coffee3
07-03-2013 06:37 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-03-2013 06:24 PM)Kyle0614 Wrote:  

Disagree, what about Auburn? The "flagship" is Alabama, what about Miss. St.? The "flagship" I guess, would be Ole' Miss, but that is still a stretch, they both have about the same suckage,...ole miss and miss st i mean,

if you ask me auburn and miss st are just parasites to the conference because there whiners felt they deserved an invite and the state government I suppose helped get the both of them in?

Auburn and Mississippi State are CHARTER members of the SEC. Nobody ever "invited" them, as they helped found the conference.

Since the founding, the SEC's policy has been clear: It invites flagships. The only imaginable exceptions would be for top-tier private schools that have the status and resources of state flagships, such as a Duke or a Notre Dame.

No offense intended, but ECU isn't anything close to a flagship. Neither is my USF for that matter.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 06:43 PM by quo vadis.)
07-03-2013 06:40 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
It's not likely but not impossible.

Basically, ECU is hoping that when the GORs run out, there is a massive shift in CFB that creates a climate where: 1) The SEC is forced to go to 16+ and 2) none of the ACC NC & VA schools we really want most will bite.

If by that time they are selling out a 60K stadium and have improved their academics then they might be a possibility in the above scenario.
07-03-2013 07:05 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

The only way it would happen would be through dramatic growth. We'd have to be filling an 85,000 seat stadium, have a relevant basketball program, and move up in the academic prestige rankings 40 or 50 spots.

We'd have to be the next Louisville, only a little better. But that is the outline we need to follow.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 07:34 PM by Chappy.)
07-03-2013 07:33 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-03-2013 06:24 PM)Kyle0614 Wrote:  

They are all founding members of the conference. And founding members of the Southern Conference before that. Auburn ranks in the top 10 in profitability most years (hardly parasitic) and is considered by the state to be one of the two flagship universities in Alabama. It is also a land grant school, ranked in the top 90 universities, and has been playing Southern football since 1892. The State of Mississippi remained poor following the demise of King Cotton and didn't start emerging economically until recent decades after Jim Crow. Both Ole Miss and Mississippi State represent their state well. They serve different educational functions with Miss St. being the more agrarian originally. East Carolina is a fine school but how do they stack up when their academics are ranked lower by over 35 points than the lowest SEC school (Mississippi State)? If you guys want a shot at a big conference do your homework and you will present your case a lot more viably than spouting off things that simply aren't true.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 07:59 PM by JRsec.)
07-03-2013 07:51 PM
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
A well-written opinion piece from a well-respected journalist.

But, before I would ever get my hopes up of ECU getting a slither of attention from the SEC, I'd need to see several SEC schools make "trial-run" visits to Greenville (South Carolina, notwithstanding), as opposed to the one-and-dones (Auburn, Tennessee) and contract cancellations (Kentucky) from the past.
07-03-2013 08:11 PM
PhiladelphiaVT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Isn't Caulton Tudor an alumnus of ECU? If so, the Pirates certainly have a prominent cheerleader inside North Carolina's print media. IMO, if the SEC ever wants to add the Tarheel State to its Southern States collection, it will have to be through East Carolina University as I don't see any of the four ACC schools in that state ever leaving the ACC.

Membership in the SEC could make ECU the dominant football power in North Carolina in a relatively short period of time. All the ingredients are there--rabid fan base, 50,000 seat stadium that could reach 80,000 seats in short order, and a market that would extend into the nearby Norfolk, Virginia metro area with its 1.7 million people.

I can only imagine the consternation in ACC offices in Greensboro should tens-of-thousands of SEC fans be seen streaming across North Carolina interstates several times each Fall to see a football game--not in Chapel Hill or Raleigh--but in Greenville!
07-03-2013 08:57 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
As of right now. I can only see the SEC adding only 2 of 3 programs. If going to 16 is the goal. Then Cincinnati,ECU,or SMU are all in play. Cincy should be the hands down first choice.
07-04-2013 06:44 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Cincy would be the first choice if they weren't located so close to the U of Kentucky. That's why the SEC hasn't looked at them. SMU would probably be higher up the chain than Cincy. I'm not for going to 16 anyway though.
07-04-2013 09:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.