Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

W&M was/is heavily discussing a move to the Patriot
Bookmark and Share
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
http://shadesof48.com/?p=269#!prettyPhoto

All I can really do is shake my head. It seems like every school has a contingency plan....besides JMU, that is.
07-03-2013 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmusuperfan Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
W&M should leave esp if we do. Patriot is a good fit for them
07-03-2013 12:28 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

I Root For: JMU
RE: W&M was/is heavily discussing a move to the Patriot
This is a smart move on the part of W&M and the Patriot League. If CAA is no longer a Virginia stronghold, Patriot League makes all the sense in the world. The Patriot League is a nice conference with quality like-minded schools. Good for W&M.
07-03-2013 12:29 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
I think they would do well there. Great fit for them especially if the future of the CAA includes Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina and Radford.
07-03-2013 12:42 PM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

(07-03-2013 12:21 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  http://shadesof48.com/?p=269#!prettyPhoto

All I can really do is shake my head. It seems like every school has a contingency plan....besides JMU, that is.
The only difference between JMU and WandM is they were less discreet with their emails.
07-03-2013 12:47 PM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

Has anyone ever tried to do a FOIA request for JMU?
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 12:55 PM by bridgeforthduke.)
07-03-2013 12:54 PM
Advertisement

JMUDukeDawg Offline
1st String

(07-03-2013 12:54 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Has anyone ever tried to do a FOIA request for JMU?

I had one typed up and ready to go, but I'm not a Virginia resident so I don't know how that would go.

I thought it was also interesting that there was mention of a Patriot League Southern Division anchored by W&M and UR. Looks like they're ready to strike when the walls start to crumble. I would anticipate both those schools announcing that move shortly after we (hopefully) announce a move to FBS.

I would also imagine that similar discussions regarding fan base and athletic support are going on at JMU, but maybe more discreetly.
07-03-2013 01:03 PM
POTUS#4 Offline
1st String

It's a whole lot easier to plan a move down than it is to plan a move up.
07-03-2013 01:10 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I hope JMU is paying attention to this part:

"The underlying issue here is financial model. It would cost as much if not more to compete in the Patriot League. In addition to some increased costs, there would be a real loss in revenue without the CAA rivalries because there is no guarantee that the CAA schools would continue to play us in all sports. I am not an alarmist but a change of this magnitude could be very divisive among our supporters. It could significantly lessen interest in our teams which would impact fund raising, ticket sales and sponsorships. That would be devastating to Athletics."

of course, for us, it's opposite. Staying in the CAA would do this.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 01:11 PM by Duke Dawg.)
07-03-2013 01:10 PM
JMUDDOG Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-03-2013 01:10 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  I hope JMU is paying attention to this part:

"The underlying issue here is financial model. It would cost as much if not more to compete in the Patriot League. In addition to some increased costs, there would be a real loss in revenue without the CAA rivalries because there is no guarantee that the CAA schools would continue to play us in all sports. I am not an alarmist but a change of this magnitude could be very divisive among our supporters. It could significantly lessen interest in our teams which would impact fund raising, ticket sales and sponsorships. That would be devastating to Athletics."

of course, for us, it's opposite. Staying in the CAA would do this.

Good point. but that just makes me think W&M will continue to stay in the CAA though.
07-03-2013 02:07 PM
DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

Strong move by w&m. They recruit differently than all other CAA schools and would really make them a strong option for elite student athletes in the northeast. I'm sure some of the fans on the zone aren't pleased, but I think the long term gains outweigh the short-term disruptions.
07-03-2013 02:08 PM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I've said it before, but I really think 1AA as we know it will disappear in a few years. Just too expensive.
07-03-2013 02:12 PM
JMUDDOG Offline
Bench Warmer

if W&M does go to the patriot league, I think that will send a strong message for JMU to move up to the FBS.
07-03-2013 02:13 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-03-2013 02:08 PM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  Strong move by w&m. They recruit differently than all other CAA schools and would really make them a strong option for elite student athletes in the northeast. I'm sure some of the fans on the zone aren't pleased, but I think the long term gains outweigh the short-term disruptions.

There is no move by W&M. They aren't going to the Patriot.
07-03-2013 02:23 PM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

(07-03-2013 02:23 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 02:08 PM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  Strong move by w&m. They recruit differently than all other CAA schools and would really make them a strong option for elite student athletes in the northeast. I'm sure some of the fans on the zone aren't pleased, but I think the long term gains outweigh the short-term disruptions.

There is no move by W&M. They aren't going to the Patriot.

Exactly, they were only packing a parachute. I'm sure that they aren't happy this is out.
07-03-2013 02:39 PM
JMU Offline
All American

W&M stays in the CAA as long as JMU is there. If JMU leaves then I would expect W&M to leave for the Patriot league. Appears that this is an open invitation by the Patriot league whenever the time is right for WM.
07-03-2013 02:54 PM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(07-03-2013 02:54 PM)JMU Wrote:  W&M stays in the CAA as long as JMU is there. If JMU leaves then I would expect W&M to leave for the Patriot league. Appears that this is an open invitation by the Patriot league whenever the time is right for WM.

Absolutely agree. Pretty smart move to look ahead by W&M. They at least know the option is there for them if/when they need it. While I would like to throw a jab at JMU for not doing the same, the two schools are in completely different modes. Moving up is way more difficult than moving down or laterally (to an extent).
07-03-2013 03:10 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

If W&M were to move to the Patriot (only after we leave the CAA), I would guess that one of the conditions will be that the Patriot will have to allow 63 scholarships for football. The conference is already going to 60 for this coming season, but going to 63 will allow their teams to play I-A teams. I could see it being a deal-breaker for W&M (and Richmond) if they cannot schedule games with JMU, ODU, UVA, etc - and they would just latch on with the SoCon instead.
07-03-2013 03:59 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-03-2013 03:59 PM)NH/JMU Saxkow Wrote:  If W&M were to move to the Patriot (only after we leave the CAA), I would guess that one of the conditions will be that the Patriot will have to allow 63 scholarships for football. The conference is already going to 60 for this coming season, but going to 63 will allow their teams to play I-A teams. I could see it being a deal-breaker for W&M (and Richmond) if they cannot schedule games with JMU, ODU, UVA, etc - and they would just latch on with the SoCon instead.

If JMU & UD moved up, W&M is just still more likely to stay in the CAA as they are going to the Patriot. The CAA would go from 12 to 10 teams again.

You'd have the CAA northern Maine, UNH, URI, Albany, SBU.
You'd have the remaining CAA southern Villanova, Towson, UR, W&M, and Elon.
And even if 1-2 more left (Towson, VU) you have some of your SC So-Con that could be added: Furman, Wofford, Citadel.

A W&M in the Patriot would have NO geographically close teams. What would their closest school be? 6 hrs?
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 04:37 PM by BDKJMU.)
07-03-2013 04:37 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(07-03-2013 03:59 PM)NH/JMU Saxkow Wrote:  If W&M were to move to the Patriot (only after we leave the CAA), I would guess that one of the conditions will be that the Patriot will have to allow 63 scholarships for football. The conference is already going to 60 for this coming season, but going to 63 will allow their teams to play I-A teams. I could see it being a deal-breaker for W&M (and Richmond) if they cannot schedule games with JMU, ODU, UVA, etc - and they would just latch on with the SoCon instead.

Yup.

Until the Patriot allows 63 scholarships AND redshirts, (the Patriot doesn't allow for any redshirt seasons, even for freshmen), there is no way UR and/or W&M even consider the PL.
07-03-2013 04:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.