UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Asst AD?
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
New Asst AD?
Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 1h
Memphis associate AD Bill Lansden has accepted an associate AD job at UAB, source told @CBSSports. So UAB just hired a smart and good man.

Steve Stroud ‏@Steve_Stroud 14m
@GaryParrishCBS Bill Lansden is a great one, UAB's big gain and Memphis' loss.

Ryan Ivey ‏@rivey35 31m
@GaryParrishCBS @cbssports Bill is a class act and a fantastic administrator. Great hire by UAB!

So, is someone leaving?
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 12:53 PM by WesternBlazer.)
07-02-2013 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
RE: New Asst AD?
Coleman Barnes went to little Miami. http://www.uabsports.com/genrel/coleman_...65220.html
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 12:55 PM by BeliefBlazer.)
07-02-2013 12:55 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

Gotta love how every single hire we've made in the last few months has gotten praise from those in the know.
07-02-2013 01:49 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

The next question is will the new AD spend time working for UAB instead of propping up his previous employers & alma mater?

At times you wonder who some of these people work for.

Maybe I'm wrong & am not in the know, but it is just what I perceive.
07-02-2013 02:00 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(07-02-2013 02:00 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The next question is will the new AD spend time working for UAB instead of propping up his previous employers & alma mater?

Where is this coming from???

Why would he "prop up" Memphis at UAB.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 02:35 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
07-02-2013 02:19 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Lansden was highly regarded, but was a holdover from the previous AD administration at Memphis. It's not a surprise that he was on his way out. Surprised and glad he landed at UAB.
07-02-2013 02:21 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(07-02-2013 02:19 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 02:00 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The next question is will the new AD spend time working for UAB instead of propping up his previous employers & alma mater?

Why would Henry to "prop up" Memphis at UAB.

Not talking about the incoming ad.
07-02-2013 02:33 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(07-02-2013 02:33 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  

But you clearly asked about him in the first paragraph.
07-02-2013 02:36 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Bill Lansden returned to the U of M in June 2004, and assumed the role of Associate Athletic Director of Development. In that role, he has helped Memphis set new records for fundraising, starting with a 4.7 million dollar total in 2005, five million in 2006, 5.6 million in 2007,six million dollars in 2008, seven million in 2009 and 7.3. million dollars total in 2010. The annual donations to the Tiger Scholarship Fund have increased 82 percent under Lansden’s guidance and Memphis has also completed a $12.9 million capital campaign, Today’s and Tomorrow’s Tigers, in 2008. The campaign provided new facilities for baseball, basketball, golf and a new Hall of Fame.

Lansden spent 2002-2004 two years in a similar capacity at Middle Tennessee. While at MTSU, he engineered a 40 percent increase in the Blue Raider Athletic Association membership to 1,750 in June of 2003. The association was expected to top the 2,000 mark in 2004 when Lansden joined the staff at Memphis.

Prior to his move to Murfreesboro, Lansden spent three years as the director of marketing and sales for the FedEx St. Jude Golf Classic. He coordinated all corporate hospitality for the weeklong PGA Tour event, administered marketing and promotional campaigns for the tournament, sold corporate sponsorships, and directed a dozen volunteer committees for the classic.

A member of the Germantown Chamber of Commerce, Lansden spent six-plus years in the athletic department at the University of Memphis, beginning his tenure as an intern in August of 1993. During his years at U of M, he was responsible for marketing and promoting, and providing game management for almost all Tiger Sports ranging from women’s soccer and volleyball to football and men’s basketball.

He spent three years as an Athletic Marketing Coordinator, and in that capacity, sold corporate sponsorships; administered community outreach programs; and managed graduate assistants, interns and volunteer workers. He took over as the Athletic Marketing Director in 1997, serving in that capacity for seven months before becoming the Annual Giving Director in the Tiger Clubs office. There, he oversaw the annual membership drive, contacted new members, and assisted in fundraising efforts totaling over $2 million.

Lansden earned his bachelor’s degree in business administration from Rhodes College in 1986, playing football all four years in college and serving as team captain his senior season. He received his master’s degree in sport administration from Georgia State University in Atlanta in 1993.

Lansden and his wife, Blair, live in Germantown and have a set of twin daughters, Delaney and Madeline.
07-02-2013 02:37 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(07-02-2013 02:36 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

I asked if he would do it, implying that maybe some other AD's in the past have done this, even ones that may have worked for UAB, & moved elsewhere.
07-02-2013 02:40 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(07-02-2013 02:37 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Bill Lansden returned to the U of M in June 2004, and assumed the role of Associate Athletic Director of Development. In that role, he has helped Memphis set new records for fundraising, starting with a 4.7 million dollar total in 2005, five million in 2006, 5.6 million in 2007,six million dollars in 2008, seven million in 2009 and 7.3. million dollars total in 2010. The annual donations to the Tiger Scholarship Fund have increased 82 percent under Lansden’s guidance and Memphis has also completed a $12.9 million capital campaign, Today’s and Tomorrow’s Tigers, in 2008. The campaign provided new facilities for baseball, basketball, golf and a new Hall of Fame.

Lansden spent 2002-2004 two years in a similar capacity at Middle Tennessee. While at MTSU, he engineered a 40 percent increase in the Blue Raider Athletic Association membership to 1,750 in June of 2003. The association was expected to top the 2,000 mark in 2004 when Lansden joined the staff at Memphis.

Prior to his move to Murfreesboro, Lansden spent three years as the director of marketing and sales for the FedEx St. Jude Golf Classic. He coordinated all corporate hospitality for the weeklong PGA Tour event, administered marketing and promotional campaigns for the tournament, sold corporate sponsorships, and directed a dozen volunteer committees for the classic.

A member of the Germantown Chamber of Commerce, Lansden spent six-plus years in the athletic department at the University of Memphis, beginning his tenure as an intern in August of 1993. During his years at U of M, he was responsible for marketing and promoting, and providing game management for almost all Tiger Sports ranging from women’s soccer and volleyball to football and men’s basketball.

He spent three years as an Athletic Marketing Coordinator, and in that capacity, sold corporate sponsorships; administered community outreach programs; and managed graduate assistants, interns and volunteer workers. He took over as the Athletic Marketing Director in 1997, serving in that capacity for seven months before becoming the Annual Giving Director in the Tiger Clubs office. There, he oversaw the annual membership drive, contacted new members, and assisted in fundraising efforts totaling over $2 million.

Lansden earned his bachelor’s degree in business administration from Rhodes College in 1986, playing football all four years in college and serving as team captain his senior season. He received his master’s degree in sport administration from Georgia State University in Atlanta in 1993.

Lansden and his wife, Blair, live in Germantown and have a set of twin daughters, Delaney and Madeline.

Looks like a great pickup by UAB.
07-02-2013 02:41 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-02-2013 02:40 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  

I asked if he would do it, implying that maybe some other AD's in the past have done this, even ones that may have worked for UAB, & moved elsewhere.

Instead of making us work for it why don't you just call out whoever it is you're trying to call out and tell us why?
07-02-2013 02:59 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Trolling the Memphis board, they seem to think pretty highly of him.
07-02-2013 03:09 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(07-02-2013 03:09 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Trolling the Memphis board, they seem to think pretty highly of him.

And as usual, pretty lowly of UAB.
07-02-2013 03:26 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(07-02-2013 03:26 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 03:09 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Trolling the Memphis board, they seem to think pretty highly of him.

And as usual, pretty lowly of UAB.

Yeah, no surprises there.
07-02-2013 03:27 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Bill Lansden Named Senior Associate AD for External Affairs At UAB

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/..._asso.html
07-02-2013 06:11 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

(07-02-2013 02:59 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 02:40 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 02:19 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Where is this coming from???

Instead of making us work for it why don't you just call out whoever it is you're trying to call out and tell us why?

The outgoing guy seemed to spend a lot of time discussing Fresno State & Kentucky.

Mackin certainly got the new guy signed up in a hurry.
07-02-2013 07:49 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
Bill is a quality guy. He works hard, has good values, and is well liked by everyone around him.

If he has the same role at UAB that he had here, the donors that he works with will like Bill. I'd be interested in seeing how the donors that post here like interacting with him after a year or so. I think you'll be pleased/impressed.

My observation is that the new AD wanted as many people that he hired surrounding him.

Congrats on what I believe is a great hire.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 11:38 PM by oldtiger.)
07-02-2013 11:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.