Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Guys in MLB: July 2013
smackdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice Owls
Rice Guys in MLB: July 2013
Wow! What a way to start the month! Aardsma just got his first W of the season (and in a looooong time, if I recall). What a way to get it. Here's how it went down:

Aardsma comes in T12 after the Mets have burned through a fair number of pitchers. He gets out of the 12th, the Mets fail to score B12, so the Mets bring David back out for the 13th. And he promptly gives up a solo homer. Mets now down 4-3 and David in line for the L.

B13 the Mets load the bases with 2 outs, and the Dbacks get a .167 hitter to the plate for New York, then get him down 0-2. David's one strike away from the loss, then the Mets batter lines a single to LF, 2 runs score, and the Mets walk off winners. Aarsdma with the W. How 'bout that?? :)

Hootie-hoo.
07-01-2013 11:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: Rice Guys in MLB: July 2013
(07-01-2013 11:34 PM)smackdaddy Wrote:  Wow! What a way to start the month! Aardsma just got his first W of the season (and in a looooong time, if I recall). What a way to get it. Here's how it went down:

Aardsma comes in T12 after the Mets have burned through a fair number of pitchers. He gets out of the 12th, the Mets fail to score B12, so the Mets bring David back out for the 13th. And he promptly gives up a solo homer. Mets now down 4-3 and David in line for the L.

B13 the Mets load the bases with 2 outs, and the Dbacks get a .167 hitter to the plate for New York, then get him down 0-2. David's one strike away from the loss, then the Mets batter lines a single to LF, 2 runs score, and the Mets walk off winners. Aarsdma with the W. How 'bout that?? :)

Hootie-hoo.

Flamin' hot hootie-hoo!!
07-02-2013 12:20 AM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
OT but not worthy of new thread:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dying-k...vel,33022/
the onion Wrote:Danny Kelvin, a 10-year-old Astros fan suffering from an advanced form of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, told reporters Thursday that he is just trying to hold on until the team develops a player actually worth meeting.

Parody, just in case anyone missed the source on this.
07-02-2013 02:28 PM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

Gotta love some July 3rd baseball! Rendon just went yard for his 2nd MLB dinger. He's now batting a tidy .315 on the year.

Over in Cincy, Tony Cingrani's on the mound again for the Reds. He's got 3 Ks in the 3rd, but looks like he's in a little trouble (2 on, 1 down, following his 3rd BB).

EDIT: And Tony gets an unusual DP to get out of the inning unscathed! I'll have to wait for a better description to understand it (ESPN's Gamecast noted it as a pop-up to 2B, then a tag of the runner who'd been on 1B--so I'm guessing a screwed-up hit-and-run or some nice play by the 2B to stab a ball that the runner on 1st didn't think he was going to get.)

EDIT: Bah, Tony was cruising in the 5th with 2 straight outs, then gave up a 5-pitch walk followed by a home run. Reds now down 2-1. Tony did stay in to end the inning, so maybe he'll come back out for the 6th. He's on the hook for the L but could earn the W if the Reds can take back the lead T6.

FINAL EDIT: With a chance to be the hero, Rendon flies out with two on and two out in B9. Nats lose 4-1. In Cincy, Cingrani is pulled in the 6th down 2-1, but the Reds hit a solo shot B6 to take Tony off the hook. His record will remain unblemished at 3-0. Way to go, Owls.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 08:55 PM by smackdaddy.)
07-03-2013 07:12 PM
4GOwls Offline
Special Teams

Brock Holt was called up by the Red Sox and started last night

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/pla...brock-holt
07-07-2013 03:36 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Rendon hit his 3rd homer of the year today and has two hits and 3 RBI for the game. Berkman continues to really struggle and has been benched quite a bit lately.
07-07-2013 03:46 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Berkman went on the DL today.
07-07-2013 08:02 PM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

Holt is playing 3B and batting 8th again tonight for the Red Sox. He was 0-fer at the plate last night in his first game. Tonight he advanced the runner his first at-bat with a grounder to 2B, walked his second at-bat, then just got his first hit of 2013 with a single in his third at-bat. Three productive trips to the plate and with that last swing of the bat raised his average a whopping 250 points. Way to go, Brock! Welcome back to the show!
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 09:26 PM by smackdaddy.)
07-07-2013 09:24 PM
TJS_NYC Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Shiner Bock
(07-07-2013 09:24 PM)smackdaddy Wrote:  Holt is playing 3B and batting 8th again tonight for the Red Sox. He was 0-fer at the plate last night in his first game. Tonight he advanced the runner his first at-bat with a grounder to 2B, walked his second at-bat, then just got his first hit of 2013 with a single in his third at-bat. Three productive trips to the plate and with that last swing of the bat raised his average a whopping 250 points. Way to go, Brock! Welcome back to the show!

He also made two outstanding defensive plays at 3rd that should make the Red Sox highlight reel (there will be little else from the loss) - see links below.

http://wapc.mlb.com/bos/play/?content_id...0&c_id=bos

http://wapc.mlb.com/bos/play/?content_id..._id=571788
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 07:16 AM by TJS_NYC.)
07-07-2013 09:59 PM
SpaceCityBuzz Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Brock had a sacrifice fly (to bring in a run) in his first game yesterday so it wasn't a complete "0-fer at the plate last night in his first game".
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 11:21 PM by SpaceCityBuzz.)
07-07-2013 11:20 PM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

Aside from Brock Holt getting 2 RBI in a Red Sox win, it was a tough day yesterday for most of the Rice guys in the bigs. Cingrani got tagged with his first loss of the season--a tough-luck L considering he only gave up 3 hits in 7 innings--but his Reds were shut out. Rendon's team lost, but he did get another hit and walk to keep his average around .300.

And if you're jonesing for some Rice baseball in these dog days of collegiate summer, here's a little clip of our All-American alum turning a nifty play at his new position: Rendon Turns Two
07-10-2013 09:37 AM
Advertisement

bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

Interesting, Holt playing 3rd, Rendon playing 2nd.
07-10-2013 11:27 AM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
And Anthony gets his 4th HR. Linedrive to LF off Cliff Lee.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 07:32 PM by grol.)
07-10-2013 07:31 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
Atlanta - Cincy

Janish is shown as a defensive sub in T9. A moment later Cingrani is put in as a PR.
07-11-2013 09:23 PM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

Brock had a big two-run single for the Red Sox last night; nice piece of hitting to go the opposite way. Here's the video for those wanting to see Brock in the bigs: HOLT'S 2-RUN SINGLE
07-13-2013 09:05 AM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

With a single tonight, Brock ups his hitting streak to 7 games. He's only been with the Red Sox for 8 games, so do the math. :) With two huge RBI hits the past two nights, some dazzling plays at 3B, and his average currently at .320, hopefully the Sox will keep Holt around. I'm not always a Boston fan, but it was pretty sweet to see Big Papi, Pedroia, and their whole dugout cheering hard for our former Owl last night; must be surreal for Brock, too.
07-13-2013 11:07 PM
Advertisement

smackdaddy Offline
All American

Interesting non-Rendon play in Miami last night--a very critical and costly non-play, at that. The Nationals sat Anthony and instead gave the start to former 2B Steve Lombardozzi. Besides going 0-fer-4, Lombardozzi was part of a failed 4-6-3 DP in the 10th that resulted in the Marlins scoring the walk-off run on the play. I'm not saying Rendon turns that play any faster, but I do wonder if Davey Johnson questioned his decision after the game. FYI, props to our old friend Justin Ruggiano on a nice slide into 2B to slow the throw back to 1B.

Here's the clip if you wanna see if Rendon makes this play or not if he's in there: RENDON'S NON-DP
07-14-2013 06:38 AM
owlsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Rice has an amazing array of talent in MLB right now. Let's hope that catches the eye of the high school generation, and leads to enhanced recruiting (led by this signed class coming up actually matriculating to Rice).
07-14-2013 07:03 AM
Owl-88 Offline
All American

Savery picked up his second win in relief last night and helped his own cause by sacrificing the runner into scoring position.
07-14-2013 08:45 AM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
(07-14-2013 06:38 AM)smackdaddy Wrote:  Interesting non-Rendon play in Miami last night--a very critical and costly non-play, at that. The Nationals sat Anthony and instead gave the start to former 2B Steve Lombardozzi. Besides going 0-fer-4, Lombardozzi was part of a failed 4-6-3 DP in the 10th that resulted in the Marlins scoring the walk-off run on the play. I'm not saying Rendon turns that play any faster, but I do wonder if Davey Johnson questioned his decision after the game. FYI, props to our old friend Justin Ruggiano on a nice slide into 2B to slow the throw back to 1B.

Here's the clip if you wanna see if Rendon makes this play or not if he's in there: RENDON'S NON-DP

I think the 0-4 is a bigger item. ball was slowly hit.

As for second guessing, it depends on if he views Anthony as a 162 game per year player. If not, then there will by definition be chances at 2B and at bats taken by someone else.
07-14-2013 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.