Welcome Texas Arlington!
Bookmark and Share
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Welcome Texas Arlington!
(07-02-2013 06:19 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 05:54 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 05:39 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Of which you were never able to dominate in ... really ... anything.

I didn't even know you guys were still up there. Welcome to the SunBolt or Southland 2.0!

If we are comparing this to the SLC, UTA finished ahead of USL 5 times, behind 4 times and tied once in FB. In Basketball, UTA was ahead 5 times and behind 6 times. In baseball ULL was ahead of UTA 7 times and behind 3. And in the only women's sport where they were conference mates, UTA finished ahead of the Cajuns once, behind twice and tied twice in softball.

A couple of qualifiers. In basketball, USL was issued penalty in men's basketball in the '70's. UTA didn't come into prominence in baseball until the '80's. And the Cajuns were an affiliate member in softball from its admittance into the NCAA in 1983 until the American South was formed in 1988.

Let's not act like ya'll are the be all end all and were just so awesome at sports that you had outgrown the SLC and all of its competitors. Ya'll left because the SLC was reclassified as a 1-AA league and the SLC kicked out the rest of your sports.

No way your evaluation is correct. First of all your comment about us outgrowing the Southland. That sir is a fact. At the time you could stay in what was to beomce known as 1A football, the Southland teams decided to go to 1AA or the FCS today. USL said they were not going to drop down in football and wanted to stay 1A. The Southland said to be in all sports or none. So we left.

Now you can say we did not outgrow the Southland, but in fact the Southland chose to diminish itself, thus we outgrew it by default. Ya can spin it anyway you like, you can drag out all the stats you want but you cannot change the reason and cause of our leaving. The Southland decided they were fine being FCS in football, and we were not going to drop down.
07-06-2013 05:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
RE: Welcome Texas Arlington!
No one is disputing that you didn't want to drop down. What I am saying is that your overall athletic department was a middle of the pack. The Southland is a sports conference, not just football. Ya'll wanted to keep everthing else there but they wouldn't amend the bylaws. That right there shows you didn't outgrow the SLC.

As far as competition goes, ya'll were there. Heck, even in football, you guys won 0 (zero) outright conference titles (You tied with McNeese in 1976 at 4-1, but they had the tie-breaker). 1970 was the last time you won a title outright. In that time, you have been co-champs 3 times in 42 years. You were co-champs in 2005 (lost to Arkansas St), 1993 (lost to Utah St) and the aforementioned 1976. I'll even add that you played UTA once after we dropped to 1-AA and we won, one of only three total.

Also note, that UTA has won a more recent outright football championship since you have.

You made an institutional decision to play 1-A. You weren't playing at a 1-A level or beating the pants off the conference you were in. You weren't like us and TXST were we in the top half of almost every sport almost every year. WE outgrew the conference, especially as they started adding DII teams to keep the numbers up in football.

EDIT:Let me add that I am not pretending that UTA being in the top half of the SLC now is the same as it was in the 1970's, when you were a part. But the simple fact is the SLC is not a good competitive home for us. Like a plant does when it grows to big for the pot it is in, us and TXST had to move to a bigger pot. That doesn't make it any less of a pot for you. Losing MTSU and WKU will hurt the SBC, but UTA and TXST will cushion it pretty easily.

Fact is, ULL has won zero outright 1-A titles. You win two NO Bowls and act like ya'll are UCONN stuck in the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 11:15 PM by FoUTASportscaster.)
07-06-2013 10:58 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(07-06-2013 10:58 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  No one is disputing that you didn't want to drop down. What I am saying is that your overall athletic department was a middle of the pack. The Southland is a sports conference, not just football. Ya'll wanted to keep everthing else there but they wouldn't amend the bylaws. That right there shows you didn't outgrow the SLC.

As far as competition goes, ya'll were there. Heck, even in football, you guys won 0 (zero) outright conference titles (You tied with McNeese in 1976 at 4-1, but they had the tie-breaker). 1970 was the last time you won a title outright. In that time, you have been co-champs 3 times in 42 years. You were co-champs in 2005 (lost to Arkansas St), 1993 (lost to Utah St) and the aforementioned 1976. I'll even add that you played UTA once after we dropped to 1-AA and we won, one of only three total.

Also note, that UTA has won a more recent outright football championship since you have.

You made an institutional decision to play 1-A. You weren't playing at a 1-A level or beating the pants off the conference you were in. You weren't like us and TXST were we in the top half of almost every sport almost every year. WE outgrew the conference, especially as they started adding DII teams to keep the numbers up in football.

EDIT:Let me add that I am not pretending that UTA being in the top half of the SLC now is the same as it was in the 1970's, when you were a part. But the simple fact is the SLC is not a good competitive home for us. Like a plant does when it grows to big for the pot it is in, us and TXST had to move to a bigger pot. That doesn't make it any less of a pot for you. Losing MTSU and WKU will hurt the SBC, but UTA and TXST will cushion it pretty easily.

Fact is, ULL has won zero outright 1-A titles. You win two NO Bowls and act like ya'll are UCONN stuck in the AAC.

Jealousy is so ugly.
07-07-2013 12:09 AM
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Of what?

The reality is I am just an unbiased guy looking at the big picture.
07-07-2013 04:31 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(07-07-2013 04:31 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Of what?

It's hard to imagine uta which has a 13 Billion dollar impact on the dfw metro area, fuels 130,000+ area jobs, has 34,000 students, 150,000+ alumni, and tier one status within reach not being all things considered, a good pick-up for the sbc.
07-08-2013 08:50 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(07-07-2013 04:31 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Of what?

Really? Unbiased? The average age of a UTA student is 27! The big picture is that you guys are pretty much like UNO. It's a second chance for young adults to finish their degrees or get an advanced degree. It's not a traditional college. That my friend is the big picture. What are the accomplishments of any of your sports teams? How many times have you guys been to the CWS? How many NCAA tournament appearances has UTA made in basketball? How many NCAA tournament games have you guys won? You make light of our NOLA Bowl appearances, attendance and wins. Please give us the legendary history of UTA athletics!

http://wweb.uta.edu/catalog/content/gene...t_uta.aspx
07-08-2013 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.