ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt never an Option for ODU to join Virginia, Virginia Tech in FBS landscape
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Sun Belt never an Option for ODU to join Virginia, Virginia Tech in FBS landscape
A lot of work in not much time for ODU's big move excerpts

By Harry Minium
The Virginian-Pilot
June 30, 2013
NORFOLK

The most far-reaching change in Old Dominion University's athletic history began with a relaxed conversation on April Fool's Day 2012 in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

.....Football Bowl Subdivision, joining Virginia and Virginia Tech, the state's only FBS programs. It is heavy company for a school that didn't begin playing football until 2009.

Before taking the plunge, ODU officials needed to know if alumni had a taste for big-time football. Selig, Wilder and Mark Benson of the school's athletic foundation made calls on 15 potential donors in late April and early May. "Not one of them said no," Selig said. ODU raised $3 million in less than two weeks

The Sun Belt, MAC, Conference USA and CAA were presented as prospective homes. Although Selig had not spoken with Sun Belt officials, he felt obligated to include it .....

Read more ... http://hamptonroads.com/2013/06/lot-work...s-big-move
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 01:55 AM by ODU Oldtimer.)
06-30-2013 01:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

RE: Sun Belt never an Option for ODU to join Virginia, Virginia Tech in FBS landscape
(06-30-2013 01:47 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  A lot of work in not much time for ODU's big move excerpts

By Harry Minium
The Virginian-Pilot
June 30, 2013
NORFOLK

The most far-reaching change in Old Dominion University's athletic history began with a relaxed conversation on April Fool's Day 2012 in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

.....Football Bowl Subdivision, joining Virginia and Virginia Tech, the state's only FBS programs. It is heavy company for a school that didn't begin playing football until 2009.

Before taking the plunge, ODU officials needed to know if alumni had a taste for big-time football. Selig, Wilder and Mark Benson of the school's athletic foundation made calls on 15 potential donors in late April and early May. "Not one of them said no," Selig said. ODU raised $3 million in less than two weeks

The Sun Belt, MAC, Conference USA and CAA were presented as prospective homes. Although Selig had not spoken with Sun Belt officials, he felt obligated to include it .....

Read more ... http://hamptonroads.com/2013/06/lot-work...s-big-move

Another great find, OT!
06-30-2013 09:02 AM
ODU2003 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Sun Belt never an Option for ODU to join Virginia, Virginia Tech in FBS landscape
It's a good article and a reminder of how well ODU navigated that difficult situation.

CUSA was the best (realistic) scenario for ODU at that time.
06-30-2013 09:41 AM
TheDancinMonarch Online
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Fascinating story. But one important detail was left out. Right after the April 1 meeting with Teague Dr. Selig went to the CAA with a proposal to immediately increase the CAA exit fee to $1M, theoretically to keep VCU and GMU from leaving. That effort failed and the rest is history. It is important to include that in the final record as it points out just exactly what kind of a weasel Dr. Selig is.
06-30-2013 09:56 AM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

(06-30-2013 09:56 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  Fascinating story. But one important detail was left out. Right after the April 1 meeting with Teague Dr. Selig went to the CAA with a proposal to immediately increase the CAA exit fee to $1M, theoretically to keep VCU and GMU from leaving. That effort failed and the rest is history.

Maybe, just maybe GMU and ODU might have presented this proposal to give the two of us more time ,or even save the conference membership. We already knew VCU's intentions. It could have been a combination of the three Mason, VCU and ODU, in an attempt to present a face to the other members, that they did not plan to leave, so the CAA would not collapse around Us. All three, had a critical decision that would need to be made for the best interest of the their School. The pressure on all three had to be enormous.

I do not know who voted for what, when or why. I do not even know what the final vote was at that time. I do know the column mentions we have/had an exit fee of $250,000 from the CAA, but now the exit fee is $1,000,000. How much time passed before the exit fee change was approved. Just wondering.

I would never submit that I have the slightest insight into the overall long term planning or why ODU did what they did. I am sure there are reasons for the proposal.

However, I feel confidant that Dr. Broderick and Dr. Selig acted in the best interest of Old Dominion University.

Aim High
06-30-2013 10:43 AM
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Online
All American

(06-30-2013 10:43 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  
(06-30-2013 09:56 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  Fascinating story. But one important detail was left out. Right after the April 1 meeting with Teague Dr. Selig went to the CAA with a proposal to immediately increase the CAA exit fee to $1M, theoretically to keep VCU and GMU from leaving. That effort failed and the rest is history.

Maybe, just maybe GMU and ODU might have presented this proposal to give the two of us more time ,or even save the conference membership. We already knew VCU's intentions. It could have been a combination of the three Mason, VCU and ODU, in an attempt to present a face to the other members, that they did not plan to leave, so the CAA would not collapse around Us. All three, had a critical decision that would need to be made for the best interest of the their School. The pressure on all three had to be enormous.

I do not know who voted for what, when or why. I do not even know what the final vote was at that time. I do know the column mentions we have/had an exit fee of $250,000 from the CAA, but now the exit fee is $1,000,000. How much time passed before the exit fee change was approved. Just wondering.

I would never submit that I have the slightest insight into the overall long term planning or why ODU did what they did. I am sure there are reasons for the proposal.

However, I feel confidant that Dr. Broderick and Dr. Selig acted in the best interest of Old Dominion University.

Aim High

The exit fee was raised to $1m June 13, 2012. I'm not sure that they ever took a vote on the April 2012 proposal to raise the fee. And trust me Selig is a weasel. And trust him to do what is best for him first.
06-30-2013 10:57 AM
odusteeler Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: ODU, W&M
(06-30-2013 10:57 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  

Aim High

The exit fee was raised to $1m June 13, 2012. I'm not sure that they ever took a vote on the April 2012 proposal to raise the fee. And trust me Selig is a weasel. And trust him to do what is best for him first.

Well if he's a weasel, he's our weasel...and I'd prefer that to an inopportune saint. Sometimes politics is a dirty business. Let's accept and move on.
06-30-2013 11:04 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
The Sun Belt was an option for Charlotte in the sense that we had an invitation, but I don't feel like it was ever a serious option. Our fan base would have revolted if we went from playing basketball in CUSA 1.0 to the A10 to the SBC. While CUSA is no basketball powerhouse, with ODU, Charlotte, WKU, UAB, and UTEP, there is a solid core of schools with a solid history and dedication to their basketball programs.

Throw in an improving USM, a North Texas that is dumping a ton of money into their facilities, and MT and CUSA has the potential to be a 2 bid league most seasons. At worst I think it'll be like the old CAA with 1 bid seasons and the occasional 2 or 3 bid year.

Glad to be in a conference with you guys. I would have been a lot less enthusiastic about CUSA if ODU were not invited.
06-30-2013 11:21 AM
TheDancinMonarch Online
All American

(06-30-2013 11:04 AM)odusteeler Wrote:  

Aim High

Well if he's a weasel, he's our weasel...and I'd prefer that to an inopportune saint. Sometimes politics is a dirty business. Let's accept and move on.

That he is but I'd keep him on a short leash.
06-30-2013 11:43 AM
Advertisement

ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

Aim High

That's not the point. If Teague told Selig that they were going to leave as a favor, so we would have more time to consider our options and supposedly we turn around and try and screw VCU over then that's bad. It is not in our interests to have the reputation of being untrustworthy, maybe in the future someone isn't going to give us a head start and we will be left behind, because they think we will turn around and pull something like that.

I put supposedly in bold because this isn't sourced. I'm not going to believe it just because I'm not a fan of some of the decisions that he has made.

Either way, this article is a great insight in to the efforts of Harnage, Broderick and Selig to really do what's right for ODU.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 12:28 PM by ODUgradstudent.)
06-30-2013 12:27 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I think Wood Selig is dong a great job. He has never done anything to make me believe he has anything at heart other than what is best for ODU athletics. If his does anything to change that opinion, I will post it here for all to see.
06-30-2013 12:43 PM
odusteeler Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(06-30-2013 12:27 PM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  

Aim High

That's not the point. If Teague told Selig that they were going to leave as a favor, so we would have more time to consider our options and supposedly we turn around and try and screw VCU over then that's bad. It is not in our interests to have the reputation of being untrustworthy, maybe in the future someone isn't going to give us a head start and we will be left behind, because they think we will turn around and pull something like that.

I put supposedly in bold because this isn't sourced. I'm not going to believe it just because I'm not a fan of some of the decisions that he has made.

Either way, this article is a great insight in to the efforts of Harnage, Broderick and Selig to really do what's right for ODU.

Perhaps Selig requested the vote knowing the outcome beforehand. It would provide justification for a move, and possible motivation for others to come with. I have a hard time believing he thought there was a realistic possibility of that passing. Again, it's shrewd politics.
06-30-2013 01:07 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-30-2013 01:07 PM)odusteeler Wrote:  
(06-30-2013 10:43 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  Maybe, just maybe GMU and ODU might have presented this proposal to give the two of us more time ,or even save the conference membership. We already knew VCU's intentions. It could have been a combination of the three Mason, VCU and ODU, in an attempt to present a face to the other members, that they did not plan to leave, so the CAA would not collapse around Us. All three, had a critical decision that would need to be made for the best interest of the their School. The pressure on all three had to be enormous.

Aim High

Perhaps Selig requested the vote knowing the outcome beforehand. It would provide justification for a move, and possible motivation for others to come with. I have a hard time believing he thought there was a realistic possibility of that passing. Again, it's shrewd politics.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. By moving for a vote on a higher exit fee, it's cover for ODU's eventual move. An additional $750,000 isn't going to keep an upwardly-mobile school from moving, but it gives everyone else piece of mind that other schools won't jump to lateral positions. As such, it's good optics if you're wanting to not telegraph your intentions.

Interesting how VCU's move ended up being the catalyst. If they stayed in the CAA, Mason stays for sure, and ODU might not feel as pressured to go FBS at the first opportunity (though if the upgrade moratorium mention was correct, they might have had to fast-track a move anyway).
06-30-2013 01:29 PM
Advertisement

Monarchs Offline
2nd String

Fabulous article by Harry.

If only this article had been published at the time it was happening...there would have been a lot less threads on the CAAZone calling for people's heads!
06-30-2013 02:38 PM
TheDancinMonarch Online
All American

(06-30-2013 01:29 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(06-30-2013 10:57 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  The exit fee was raised to $1m June 13, 2012. I'm not sure that they ever took a vote on the April 2012 proposal to raise the fee. And trust me Selig is a weasel. And trust him to do what is best for him first.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. By moving for a vote on a higher exit fee, it's cover for ODU's eventual move. An additional $750,000 isn't going to keep an upwardly-mobile school from moving, but it gives everyone else piece of mind that other schools won't jump to lateral positions. As such, it's good optics if you're wanting to not telegraph your intentions.

Interesting how VCU's move ended up being the catalyst. If they stayed in the CAA, Mason stays for sure, and ODU might not feel as pressured to go FBS at the first opportunity (though if the upgrade moratorium mention was correct, they might have had to fast-track a move anyway).

In early April 2012, the time of the vote that never happened, we had no intentions. At least according to the article.
06-30-2013 04:32 PM
Beans N Cornbread Offline
2nd String

I love how there always has to be a conspiracy theory. I read it like this.....a bunch of high paid mofos got blindsided with unanticipated news and scramble to react. That's that.

I'm not super old and wise but I've worked for 11 years with two corporate giants....one in banking and one in pharma and the same crap happens regardless of the industry. New regulations or a bad quarter or a bad FDA inspection or a major rival leaving your conference lead to decisions that are always questioned and doubted. Let's just see how it plays out....
06-30-2013 05:02 PM
odusteeler Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(06-30-2013 04:32 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  
(06-30-2013 01:29 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(06-30-2013 11:04 AM)odusteeler Wrote:  Well if he's a weasel, he's our weasel...and I'd prefer that to an inopportune saint. Sometimes politics is a dirty business. Let's accept and move on.

In early April 2012, the time of the vote that never happened, we had no intentions. At least according to the article.

But we knew about an impending implosion of the CAA. The vote forces people to lay their cards on the table to a degree - either your all-in with the CAA, or your not. From that, a decision about ODU's future can be made.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 05:07 PM by odusteeler.)
06-30-2013 05:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.