ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU on margue Nauticus Downtown Norfolk
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
ODU on margue Nauticus Downtown Norfolk
Nauticus Downtown Norfolk has ODU /CUSA on the Marque.

Looks nice!

[Image: Nauticus_6.png]

small edit..
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 11:00 AM by ODU Oldtimer.)
06-27-2013 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AimHigher Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU on margue Nauticus Downtown Norfolk
If the city of Norfolk tears down Waterside and said here ODU build a 50k stadium here. Norfolk also says they will extend the TIDE to ODU campus. Would ODU build there? Harbor Park has a lot of parking to offer and most parking garage downtown on the weekends are ghost towns.
06-27-2013 03:21 PM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

(06-27-2013 03:21 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  If the city of Norfolk tears down Waterside and said here ODU build a 50k stadium here. Norfolk also says they will extend the TIDE to ODU campus. Would ODU build there? Harbor Park has a lot of parking to offer and most parking garage downtown on the weekends are ghost towns.

The only way that could ever work is a partnership, the venue site could and would be used for some great future sporting events and many other events (what a concept).

What a fantastic place for a Bowl Game. After name rights Norfolk Southern Harbor Stadium

Nhaaaaaaaaa ......Never would happen.
06-27-2013 04:14 PM
ODnick Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Old Dominion
The Waterside footprint looks very small, not sure if that could work. Excellent idea though..
06-27-2013 04:20 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

(06-27-2013 04:20 PM)ODnick Wrote:  The Waterside footprint looks very small, not sure if that could work. Excellent idea though..

Yeah, I don't believe the site is large enough, and I thought the city entered into a contract with Cordish to renovate.
06-27-2013 04:29 PM
MONARCHSWIN Offline
1st String

The venues really need to stay on campus. When they moved men's basketball to scope, everyone thought it was a great move, but in the end... not so much.
01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 05:52 PM by MONARCHSWIN.)
06-27-2013 05:52 PM
Advertisement

AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(06-27-2013 05:52 PM)MONARCHSWIN Wrote:  The venues really need to stay on campus. When they moved men's basketball to scope, everyone thought it was a great move, but in the end... not so much.
01-wingedeagle

I do like it to stay on campus but times have changed, the nightlife of granby st, lightrail hotels ect
06-27-2013 05:56 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I would hate for the stadium to be off campus, that usually doesnt work well.

Yes, Cordish will be renovating Waterside.
06-28-2013 11:09 AM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

I'd rather play at an unexpanded Foreman than a new stadium downtown. Not even a question.
06-28-2013 11:19 AM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

(06-28-2013 11:19 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  I'd rather play at an unexpanded Foreman than a new stadium downtown. Not even a question.

+1
06-28-2013 12:12 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

I don't know much about stadium sites or architecture. All I know is I want a louder stadium, a better sound system and another big screen so everyone can see replays/intro videos. I want the opposition to dread coming to Norfolk.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 02:39 PM by Monarchist13.)
06-28-2013 12:17 PM
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

Given a simple either/or decision, ie. either downtown stadium with 35k capacity and room to expand to 55K or so; or remain at Foreman Field at 20K, I could not make the decision quickly enough to go downtown. To me, it is a no-brainer.
06-28-2013 02:03 PM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

(06-28-2013 02:03 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Given a simple either/or decision, ie. either downtown stadium with 35k capacity and room to expand to 55K or so; or remain at Foreman Field at 20K, I could not make the decision quickly enough to go downtown. To me, it is a no-brainer.

The students in attendance would be 1/10 of what it is now, if we are lucky. The alumni don't make a peep of noise. The idea to move an ODU sporting venue away from campus is fatally flawed. Was the Scope experiment not evidence enough? Yes, the decision to move downtown would literally be a "no-brainer."
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 02:26 PM by Fatalisk.)
06-28-2013 02:18 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Agree with Fatalisk
06-28-2013 02:27 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

(06-28-2013 02:18 PM)Fatalisk Wrote:  
(06-28-2013 02:03 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Given a simple either/or decision, ie. either downtown stadium with 35k capacity and room to expand to 55K or so; or remain at Foreman Field at 20K, I could not make the decision quickly enough to go downtown. To me, it is a no-brainer.

The students in attendance would be 1/10 of what it is now, if we are lucky. The alumni don't make a peep of noise. The idea to move an ODU sporting venue away from campus is fatally flawed. Was the Scope experiment not evidence enough? Yes, the decision to move downtown would literally be a "no-brainer."

I agree that a stadium located far off campus would be highly flawed, however keeping capacity at it's current 20K is not an option. Given the choice between a poor option and a non-option I would begrudgingly go along with an off campus facility. I am confident that we will get a stadium plan that will make most of us happy. Thirty five to forty thousand capacity, with the ability to be expanded, on or near campus.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 02:43 PM by paintedblue.)
06-28-2013 02:38 PM
TedHead Offline
1st String

+1
06-28-2013 02:43 PM
Advertisement

Fatalisk Offline
All American

(06-28-2013 02:38 PM)paintedblue Wrote:  

I agree that a stadium located far off campus would be highly flawed, however keeping capacity at it's current 20K is not an option. I am confident that we will get a stadium plan that will make most of us happy.

I agree, neither are options. I only posed the hypothetical of an unexpanded S.B. Ballard to demonstrate the severity with which I opposed the idea of a downtown stadium.

If building new on campus isn't possible, I'd also much rather expand S.B. Ballard than build new downtown.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 02:44 PM by Fatalisk.)
06-28-2013 02:44 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

I am only for a downtown stadium if lightrail goes to ODU
06-28-2013 03:50 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

No to a downtown stadium. Sure, I'd imagine it has the potential to create some attractive visuals. However, having an on campus stadium owned by the university is always preferential to any off campus situation.
06-28-2013 03:53 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

Let’s look at it this way. You have four options, A, B, C and D. These options are:
OPTION A - Construct a new stadium (either on campus or in the immediate campus vicinity) with a seating capacity of a 35K with knowledge that there is the ability for expansion to 55K or so at a later date if needed to meet demand.
OPTION B – Expand H. B. Ballard Stadium at Foreman Field to a seating capacity of 35K with knowledge that there is the ability for expansion to 55K or so at a later date if needed to meet demand.
OPTION C - Construct a new stadium downtown with a seating capacity of a 35K or so with knowledge that there is the ability for expansion to 55K or so at a later date if needed to meet demand.
OPTION D – Leave Foreman Field at H. B. Ballard Stadium as is at a maximum seating capacity of roughly 20K.
How would you rank these four options in order of preference? My order of preference is:
1. A
2. B
3. C
4. D
06-28-2013 04:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.