Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stoss - "Move To I-A Could Motivate Donors"
Bookmark and Share
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
http://jamesmadison.rivals.com/barrier_n...&mid=&rid=

not a subscriber. Anything to this article?
06-26-2013 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

RE: Stoss - "Move To I-A Could Motivate Donors"
bump...anyone have a rivals subscription?
06-26-2013 12:40 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Both Frerking and athletic director Jeff Bourne agreed taking the football team from I-AA to I-A could provide a boost. It's a move being sought by much of JMU's fan base, which has seen a number of Madison's peer institutions leave the Dukes behind and upgrade their conferences.

"We've heard that," Bourne said when asked about donors' interest in going I-A. "We've heard it verbally from a certain amount of our fans and donors that would give if we did that, and so it's been voiced. … It's kind of hard to gauge exactly what that means and what dollars would flow from it."
06-26-2013 12:49 PM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
... in other words, they are monitoring?
06-26-2013 01:02 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(06-26-2013 12:49 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  Both Frerking and athletic director Jeff Bourne agreed taking the football team from I-AA to I-A could provide a boost. It's a move being sought by much of JMU's fan base, which has seen a number of Madison's peer institutions leave the Dukes behind and upgrade their conferences.

"We've heard that," Bourne said when asked about donors' interest in going I-A. "We've heard it verbally from a certain amount of our fans and donors that would give if we did that, and so it's been voiced. … It's kind of hard to gauge exactly what that means and what dollars would flow from it."

Bourne...guy could be being warterboarded and still only reveal a cryptic message that reaveals nothing.
06-26-2013 01:04 PM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(06-26-2013 12:49 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  … It's kind of hard to gauge exactly what that means and what dollars would flow from it."

I really don't mean to always pile on, I know it gets old, but quotes like this just sound so wishy washy and not well thought out. I understand this is just a one off quote but I just think these are basic questions for which a polished, professional, more definitive sounding answer should be rehearsed.

How about something like:

We know its a small sample size but we are encouraged that our alumni would be willing to step up, should our classification change.

Our alumni have demonstrated tremendous support in filling BFS every week so it's no surprise they would be willing to give more. If we move up, we will be counting on their funding to support the move

These are the statements that inspire confidence. It seems Bourne is always going out of his way to lower expectations, even when presented with what should be seen as good news.
06-26-2013 01:14 PM
Advertisement

All American

(06-26-2013 01:14 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  
(06-26-2013 12:49 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  … It's kind of hard to gauge exactly what that means and what dollars would flow from it."

I really don't mean to always pile on, I know it gets old, but quotes like this just sound so wishy washy and not well thought out. I understand this is just a one off quote but I just think these are basic questions for which a polished, professional, more definitive sounding answer should be rehearsed.

We know its a small sample size but we are encouraged that our alumni would be willing to step up, should our classification change.

Our alumni have demonstrated tremendous support in filling BFS every week so it's no surprise they would be willing to give more. If we move up, we will be counting on their funding to support the move

These are the statements that inspire confidence. It seems Bourne is always going out of his way to lower expectations, even when presented with what should be seen as good news.

All would be appropriate responses or how about:

"we're not too sure what to expect, that's why we hired Carr Consulting to help us more accurately quantify the risks/rewards of moving to FBS"
06-26-2013 01:21 PM
JMU Offline
All American

+1,000,000. Bourne is a total buzz kill.
06-26-2013 01:21 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes

I see every Bourne statement as hesitant and reactionary. He is fat and happy as the saying goes and he protects Yeager every time he is pressed to comment about JMU and the CAA. People that know him personally protect him claiming he is a good ambassador of JMU, re-read his quotes, he sells out JMU every time he opens his mouth.
06-26-2013 01:22 PM
JMU Offline
All American

^ that's what accountants do: lower expectations, act conservatively, avoid risk, act visionless and try to determine certainty when there is none. He has limted faith in JMU and all the spirit and devotion that we have towards our school.
06-26-2013 01:27 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(06-26-2013 01:27 PM)JMU Wrote:  ^ that's what accountants do: lower expectations, act conservatively, avoid risk, act visionless and try to determine certainty when there is none. He has limted faith in JMU and all the spirit and devotion that we have towards our school.

I'm an accountant, it has nothing to with him being an accountant and everything to do with him being very close friends with Tom Yeager.
06-26-2013 01:31 PM
Advertisement

All American

Maybe he's just incompetent?
06-26-2013 01:33 PM
AllForDukes Offline
Special Teams

lather, rinse, repeat

Same old comments from the same old posters.
06-26-2013 01:42 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
or maybe he's not the CEO/President/Dictator/God of JMU.

how many minutes/hours do you think it will take before he's fired if he flat out said to a reporter that JMU is going IA before Alger, King, BOV, etc (ie - those REALLY in charge of this) are ready to make that announcement?

This is a MAJOR decision for JMU. Not whether we should hire a new swimming coach or not.
06-26-2013 01:45 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

so...is that all the article said?
06-26-2013 01:49 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

Well he's never going to know how much actual money would come from it. Some people don't always put their money where their mouth is. But JMU has to live with the results so I could see him being noncommittal on that point. But if coming up with a real dollar amount of new donations based on going to FBS is required, I don't see it ever happening. They have to have other reasons for going FBS.
06-26-2013 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

At least he answered a question that contained I-A or FBS in the same sentence?
06-26-2013 01:56 PM
rufus Offline
Special Teams

In other news, "Development of Better Product Could Increase Sales". This is truly a groundbreaking concept.
06-26-2013 01:58 PM
JMU Offline
All American

"Truckin, like the do-dah man. once told me you've got to play your hand
Sometimes your cards ain't worth a dime, if you don't lay'em down..."
06-26-2013 02:00 PM
JMad03 Online
Heisman

It speaks more of them having a fear of unknown and lack of faith in the alumni more than support, which is what I have the problem with. I have never heard a comment from him that wanted me to do more for JMU. And being a mouthpiece for the athletics program, that's a problem.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 02:04 PM by JMad03.)
06-26-2013 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.