Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sammy at Minute Maid!
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
Sammy at Minute Maid!
The Astros gathered all the local sports mascots for a photo op
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 09:54 PM by georgewebb.)
06-15-2013 06:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
RE: Sammy at Minut Maid!
Here's an idea - can we get Sammy (or someone in the costume) out to any local sports games? Whether it's the Dynamo, minor league baseball, arena football, or whatever else is going on this summer? Just be a presence wherever allowed.

I was at a minor league baseball game last night (Bobby Bramhall was on the opposing team, but didn't pitch), and for crying out loud, there is now a goose as a mascot for Wawa at the game, in addition to the team's multiple mascots. (If you don't know what Wawa is, think of Circle-K and 7-11. Convenience store and gas station.)

Anywhere there is a large concentration of kids, get the mascot there. I see it with lots of local restaurants (Chick-Fil-A cow, even the Papa John's franchise has a pizza slice costume), and I'm surprised it never struck me before. These are huge opportunities being missed, IMO. Brand yourself as for the kids and hopefully fun. It's never fun to be in a mascot costume in the middle of the summer, but some things have to be done.
06-15-2013 09:32 PM
Tiki Owl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Sammy at Minut Maid!
(06-15-2013 09:32 PM)gsloth Wrote:  Here's an idea - can we get Sammy (or someone in the costume) out to any local sports games? Whether it's the Dynamo, minor league baseball, arena football, or whatever else is going on this summer? Just be a presence wherever allowed.

I was at a minor league baseball game last night (Bobby Bramhall was on the opposing team, but didn't pitch), and for crying out loud, there is now a goose as a mascot for Wawa at the game, in addition to the team's multiple mascots. (If you don't know what Wawa is, think of Circle-K and 7-11. Convenience store and gas station.)

Anywhere there is a large concentration of kids, get the mascot there. I see it with lots of local restaurants (Chick-Fil-A cow, even the Papa John's franchise has a pizza slice costume), and I'm surprised it never struck me before. These are huge opportunities being missed, IMO. Brand yourself as for the kids and hopefully fun. It's never fun to be in a mascot costume in the middle of the summer, but some things have to be done.

I would have preferred a full time Sammy in place of any of Greenspan's (or even his) hires. But you are right getting Sammy out at various events is a plus. I like the pix when he is at Rice night at the rodeo. But since it is a student position it is difficult to ask them to do much more. I wonder if other schools that have very visible mascots (not talking about Bevo) have paid non-students in costume at times.
06-15-2013 09:45 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

RE: Sammy at Minute Maid!
The last two Astros games have been very enjoyable: low-scoring, one run games (2-1 and 4-3) that moved quickly (2:49 and 2:39). Friday's game was especially interesting in two respects: NONE of the runs were earned (even though the Astros had no errors); and the White Sox pitcher earned a complete-game loss -- not something you see very often.
06-16-2013 08:38 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(06-15-2013 09:45 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(06-15-2013 09:32 PM)gsloth Wrote:  Here's an idea - can we get Sammy (or someone in the costume) out to any local sports games? Whether it's the Dynamo, minor league baseball, arena football, or whatever else is going on this summer? Just be a presence wherever allowed.

I would have preferred a full time Sammy in place of any of Greenspan's (or even his) hires. But you are right getting Sammy out at various events is a plus. I like the pix when he is at Rice night at the rodeo. But since it is a student position it is difficult to ask them to do much more. I wonder if other schools that have very visible mascots (not talking about Bevo) have paid non-students in costume at times.

Time for metrosexual Sammy to be retired... with Greenspan.
06-16-2013 08:40 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
@Tiki - I definitely was wondering how to handle who-occupies-the-costume angle. Nothing that a job redefinition for a few of the summer interns (pretty sure they would have something like this) to get tagged with. A few extra hours shouldn't hurt the budget that much.

But I'm sure the legalities of job descriptions and "required" travel is probably much more complex than I can imagine.
06-16-2013 09:31 AM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(06-16-2013 08:40 AM)Memphis Owl Wrote:  

+1000
06-16-2013 09:55 AM
Advertisement

texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(06-16-2013 09:55 AM)WMD Owl Wrote:  
(06-16-2013 08:40 AM)Memphis Owl Wrote:  

+1000

please yes, bring back the one with Tiki Owl
06-16-2013 10:53 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2013 08:38 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  The last two Astros games have been very enjoyable: low-scoring, one run games (2-1 and 4-3) that moved quickly (2:49 and 2:39). Friday's game was especially interesting in two respects: NONE of the runs were earned (even though the Astros had no errors); and the White Sox pitcher earned a complete-game loss -- not something you see very often.

And another one-run victory: this one 5-4, clocking in at a not-speedy but reasonable 3:17. You'd think they were still in the National League?
06-16-2013 05:24 PM
Almadenmike Online
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(06-15-2013 06:09 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  The Astros gathered all the local sports mascots for a photo op

Any photos of this on the web yet?
06-16-2013 07:34 PM
Advertisement

CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
Per the Astros website:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/artic...u&c_id=hou

ORBIT'S BIRTHDAY
On Saturday, at Game 2 of the Astros-White Sox series, Orbit will continue his birthday celebration with visits from other local mascots, who will all participate in an autograph session from 4:30-5:00pm. Joining Orbit for Saturday's game will be Toro (Texans), Clutch (Rockets), Shasta and Sasha (University of Houston), Diesel (Dynamo), Sammy the Owl (Rice University), Tex and Rex (Texas Southern University) and the Chick-fil-A Cows. Ten thousand fans will also receive the first ever Orbit Bobblebelly giveaway, courtesy of Coca-Cola.

Happy Birthday, Orbit!!
06-16-2013 08:05 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
Is the Sammy costume shown in Tiki's avi still around?
06-17-2013 02:06 PM
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
The enjoyable part was that the Astros swept the White Sox. The youngsters are learning the game.

(06-16-2013 08:38 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  The last two Astros games have been very enjoyable: low-scoring, one run games (2-1 and 4-3) that moved quickly (2:49 and 2:39). Friday's game was especially interesting in two respects: NONE of the runs were earned (even though the Astros had no errors); and the White Sox pitcher earned a complete-game loss -- not something you see very often.
06-17-2013 03:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.