Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ireland, Dubai or the Bahamas may be hosting bowl games
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Ireland, Dubai or the Bahamas may be hosting bowl games
06-11-2013 02:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: Ireland, Dubai or the Bahamas may be hosting bowl games
I could see Ireland but not Dubai.
06-11-2013 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
I think the Bahamas would be a good place.
06-11-2013 02:35 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Bermuda triangle bowl, what could go wrong?
06-11-2013 03:03 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Would rather it be Puerto Rico. But I'll probably never go, so it doesn't affect me too much.
06-11-2013 03:07 PM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
Too many fans are thinking about where they can travel to, that's not what this is about. ND doesn't play in Ireland so ND can travel, they play in Ireland so the locals can see them play.

These are made for TV games...whether its in Dubai, Hawaii, Bahamas or Ireland...and a few fans can go but not many.
06-11-2013 03:18 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Dubai would be terrible. That's like a 14 hour flight, and not even O'Hare has direct flights. At least keep it within range where you can pretend that real fans can travel there.
06-11-2013 03:45 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
The Bahamas are a legit destination for a bowl game. No different than going to Florida. That being said do they have a venue capable there?
06-11-2013 04:01 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(06-11-2013 03:18 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Too many fans are thinking about where they can travel to, that's not what this is about. ND doesn't play in Ireland so ND can travel, they play in Ireland so the locals can see them play.

These are made for TV games...whether its in Dubai, Hawaii, Bahamas or Ireland...and a few fans can go but not many.

ND took 35,000 fans to Ireland last September. They would take fans to a bowl game there.
06-11-2013 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I call for a Bermuda Bowl, and they come back with Bahamas.
06-11-2013 04:11 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
These bowls will all be dumpster fires. Nobody is traveling to Dubai or Burmuda to see AAC also rans take on Sunbelt also rans. Find a few suitable stadiums with decent weather in areas that are within driving distances of a lot of G5 schools. These are junk bowls that people will maybe be willing to drive to. These things will likley be empty unless they are very close---they will be ghost towns if they cost any significant amount of money to attend. The only ones who will care will be the fans of the Sunbelt of MAC team that used to sit home in the past but now get to go to a bowl. I doubt the AAC teams stuck in these bowls are going to travel very well. Im afraid these AAC fansbases are no longer going to have much motivation to show up at this point.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 05:37 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-11-2013 04:15 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-11-2013 04:11 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  I call for a Bermuda Bowl, and they come back with Bahamas.

How about the Kokomo Bowl? I hear Kokomo, IN has a nice high school stadium 04-cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHtQ4-WBkis
06-11-2013 04:24 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(06-11-2013 04:01 PM)brista21 Wrote:  The Bahamas are a legit destination for a bowl game. No different than going to Florida. That being said do they have a venue capable there?
Obviously it would be the National Stadium, where the Bahamas plays their national team (association) football when they host ~ they were winners in the play-in first round of the last CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers, but had to withdraw from the second round group of four because construction work at the Tommy Robinson National Stadium was not going to be finished on time.

[Image: 250px-Tommy_Robinson_National_Stadium.jpg]

Capacity about 15,000, though it is supposed to be expandable to 30,000. 15,000 would probably be good for making sure of a full house for a US college American-rules football bowl game between two Go5 bowl eligible schools.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 05:35 PM by BruceMcF.)
06-11-2013 05:34 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(06-11-2013 04:24 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 04:11 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  I call for a Bermuda Bowl, and they come back with Bahamas.

How about the Kokomo Bowl? I hear Kokomo, IN has a nice high school stadium 04-cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHtQ4-WBkis
Haha. They do. I was stationed 18 miles north of Kokomo, at Grissom AFB. Nice Target store too...
06-11-2013 05:38 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Fans of participating teams aren't going to travel to late-December bowls in these places.

As long as they're dropping any pretense about fans of the participating teams, they might as well just build a giant stadium-sized TV studio in Bristol, CT and play the bowl games there. They can use special effects to simulate the presence of fans and crowd noise.
06-11-2013 05:47 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(06-11-2013 05:47 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Fans of participating teams aren't going to travel to late-December bowls in these places.

As long as they're dropping any pretense about fans of the participating teams, they might as well just build a giant stadium-sized TV studio in Bristol, CT and play the bowl games there. They can use special effects to simulate the presence of fans and crowd noise.

The soccer fans in Ireland just want to go see real football and they don't know the difference between Notre Dame and Ohio University. The locals in Dublin bought their entire allotment of tickets in 48 hrs and would have bought more had it not been sold out. There doesnt need to be one MAC fan make the travel to make it successful. Will be great for TV, advertising, and recruiting.

I think this will be very successful and the Big Ten will be trying to drop the Detroit Bowl they just stole from us and try to steal our Ireland Bowl just like they steal everything else from us. Pathetic.
06-11-2013 06:11 PM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Dubai would be pretty sweet.
06-11-2013 08:27 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2013 05:47 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Fans of participating teams aren't going to travel to late-December bowls in these places.
Actually, there are people from Northeast Ohio who already go to the Bahamas during late December. If it was Kent State, more would go to a bowl that was closer, but so long as the stadium is not too large and its an honest payout without the school being on the hook for tickets that go unsold, I could even see some local people convincing themselves they are stronger Kent State fans than they really are, to give themselves the excuse to go to the Caribbean in late December.

The Bahamas is closer than a West Coast bowl, that's for sure.
06-11-2013 08:45 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(06-11-2013 05:34 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 04:01 PM)brista21 Wrote:  The Bahamas are a legit destination for a bowl game. No different than going to Florida. That being said do they have a venue capable there?
Obviously it would be the National Stadium, where the Bahamas plays their national team (association) football when they host ~ they were winners in the play-in first round of the last CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers, but had to withdraw from the second round group of four because construction work at the Tommy Robinson National Stadium was not going to be finished on time.

[Image: 250px-Tommy_Robinson_National_Stadium.jpg]

Capacity about 15,000, though it is supposed to be expandable to 30,000. 15,000 would probably be good for making sure of a full house for a US college American-rules football bowl game between two Go5 bowl eligible schools.

30,000 is the minimum capacity required for a bowl game by the NCAA.
06-11-2013 09:22 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2013 09:22 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  30,000 is the minimum capacity required for a bowl game by the NCAA.
Then it would seem that the expansion to 30,000 would be part of the deal.

However, ESPN would be well advised to have a man on the scene if they are thinking of getting involved with the Nassau stadium:

http://www.bahamaspress.com/2012/11/12/w...-disaster/
06-11-2013 09:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.