UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'Group of Five' look to add bowls
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation 'Group of Five' look to add bowls
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 12:34 PM by WesternBlazer.)
06-11-2013 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
RE: 'Group of Five' look to add bowls
Looks like this is the creation of 1-AA all over again. 03-puke
06-11-2013 02:01 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
That's what the power 5 want. Look at the bright side. When they do split off we will get the OCS approved a the evil three will be happy we were left behind.
06-11-2013 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Southside Blazer 82 Offline
Special Teams

'Group of Five' look to add bowls
Montgomery?
06-12-2013 12:37 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
They've already hijacked the national championship, it's their own private "sandbox" now...I'm glad I no longer follow/indulge them, they remind me in a way of organized crime. Sooner or later, they will be destroyed at the hands of their own. And I for one, will celebrate their demise. Free UAB!!!
06-12-2013 07:10 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
ALL of the discussion so far is about the NUMBER of bowls and nothing said about the cash payout of the bowls. If one starts from the least payout bowl, how far up the cash scale of bowl payouts would you have to go before equaling the payout of the least BCS bowl? Remember, the bowls pay out to the conferences so the dominance of the "Power conferences" in all the major pay out bowls is more critical than just the number of bowls being scheduled. All those tens of millions handed out by the SEC to their member schools at their meeting in Destin, FL came from their shares of all those high and middle payout bowls. If more bowls are added (and especially one in Dubai which would throw a lot of money into it), chances are the Power conferences would have "dibs" to grab them up first.
06-13-2013 12:13 PM
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(06-12-2013 07:10 AM)Matrix Wrote:  They've already hijacked the national championship, it's their own private "sandbox" now...I'm glad I no longer follow/indulge them, they remind me in a way of organized crime. Sooner or later, they will be destroyed at the hands of their own. And I for one, will celebrate their demise. Free UAB!!!

Amen, brother!
06-13-2013 12:24 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(06-12-2013 12:37 AM)Southside Blazer 82 Wrote:  Montgomery?

Sun Belt has explored that possibility.
06-13-2013 01:09 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Let us not forget that there is still a requirement of a .500 season to go to a bowl (unless you are a conference divisional champion). Add to that the likelihood of all P5 teams going to 9 conference games starting in 2015(most are doing it starting in 2013, I think) and its entirely possible the P5 conferences will not have enough bowl eligible teams. I mean, they won't have the yearly home schedule that includes 4 cupcakes leading toward 6 win bowl eligibility.

I think the G5 conferences simply are tired of being in a position of having to wait to see if there are any bowl spots left at season's end. They would like to have foreknowledge of their bowl situation.
06-13-2013 02:28 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(06-13-2013 02:28 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Let us not forget that there is still a requirement of a .500 season to go to a bowl (unless you are a conference divisional champion). Add to that the likelihood of all P5 teams going to 9 conference games starting in 2015(most are doing it starting in 2013, I think) and its entirely possible the P5 conferences will not have enough bowl eligible teams. I mean, they won't have the yearly home schedule that includes 4 cupcakes leading toward 6 win bowl eligibility.

I think the G5 conferences simply are tired of being in a position of having to wait to see if there are any bowl spots left at season's end. They would like to have foreknowledge of their bowl situation.

Let us also not forget that the 12 game season is no more "set in stone" than the 10 game season or the 11 game seasons that preceded it. I believe the Power conferences are mulling over a 13, 14 or even a 15 game regular season that would give them plenty of opportunities to have their cake (the 9 game conference schedule) and eat it too (having lots of "peasant conference" schools willing to come to their stadium every year for program "survival funding" paydays). Unless they pay a million or more per visit (Bama paid Kent State $1.2 million), a few hundred thousands really won't be a big help to the peasant schools bottom line, but it will be much better than nothing. Right now, most P5 schools play 4 "cupcake" games which only rarely surprise in result. That gives them 1/3 of their schedule to boost them toward that .500 season record to qualify for a bowl invitation.
06-13-2013 03:31 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-13-2013 03:31 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(06-13-2013 02:28 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Let us not forget that there is still a requirement of a .500 season to go to a bowl (unless you are a conference divisional champion). Add to that the likelihood of all P5 teams going to 9 conference games starting in 2015(most are doing it starting in 2013, I think) and its entirely possible the P5 conferences will not have enough bowl eligible teams. I mean, they won't have the yearly home schedule that includes 4 cupcakes leading toward 6 win bowl eligibility.

Let us also not forget that the 12 game season is no more "set in stone" than the 10 game season or the 11 game seasons that preceded it. I believe the Power conferences are mulling over a 13, 14 or even a 15 game regular season that would give them plenty of opportunities to have their cake (the 9 game conference schedule) and eat it too (having lots of "peasant conference" schools willing to come to their stadium every year for program "survival funding" paydays). Unless they pay a million or more per visit (Bama paid Kent State $1.2 million), a few hundred thousands really won't be a big help to the peasant schools bottom line, but it will be much better than nothing. Right now, most P5 schools play 4 "cupcake" games which only rarely surprise in result. That gives them 1/3 of their schedule to boost them toward that .500 season record to qualify for a bowl invitation.

I believe this will happen with 13 or 14 being the regular season number. That will also mean renegotiation with the networks (of course, there is probably already an "understanding") and could be used to appease those who want an 8 team playoff - vote to increase to 14 regular season games and we'll agree to an 8-team playoff. This would also lead to increased scholarship numbers to account for increased injures - maybe 5 more schollys. Should all of this come to pass that is when the P5 super-conference division will come to fruition. Of course, I could be wrong...
06-13-2013 03:51 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Report: Florida loses $840,000 on Sugar Bowl visit
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...bowl-visit
06-13-2013 05:05 PM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
the expense need to be look at it
losing 840k when they paid you ...how much ..5 millions ????
06-13-2013 05:09 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I think the biggest problem is that the ticket prices are too high as well as # of tickets you have to get to sustain any profitabilty but bowls need to have the high ticket prices to help offset the bowl payout costs that aren't made up by sponsorships.
06-13-2013 06:09 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
Only a few bowl games each year have a high demand for their tickets, but for those that do, I feel certain that they increase their income from tickets by supplying many thousands to the "secondary market" (like "StubHub") for far greater money than they would get at face value like those supplied to the participating schools and local sponsors. Add to that the great TV revenue and the picture gets much rosier for the bowls bottom line.

Through premium programs and high game ticket prices, the schools have already pretty well eliminated the "average Joe" fan who usually watches games on home or sports bar TV anyways. Those exorbitantly high ticket prices quoted on TV for major games are usually paid by businesses who use game tickets to "sweeten" the deal for contracts they are after in their field. Who wouldn't pay a couple/several thousands for a ticket that may get a contract for millions signed, sealed and delivered.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 10:51 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-15-2013 10:50 AM
BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

"In each of the past two years, there were 72 bowl-eligible teams for 70 spots – and that included 6-7 UCLA in 2011 and 6-7 Georgia Tech in 2012 each receiving an NCAA waiver to play in a bowl."

So if there were enough (71) teams that were truly bowl-eligible each of those two years, why did UCLA and GT get waivers?
06-15-2013 12:59 PM
Advertisement

cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(06-13-2013 01:09 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 12:37 AM)Southside Blazer 82 Wrote:  Montgomery?

Sun Belt has explored that possibility.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...er_default
06-15-2013 03:48 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

06-15-2013 06:26 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(06-15-2013 12:59 PM)BlazerGrad88 Wrote:  "In each of the past two years, there were 72 bowl-eligible teams for 70 spots – and that included 6-7 UCLA in 2011 and 6-7 Georgia Tech in 2012 each receiving an NCAA waiver to play in a bowl."

So if there were enough (71) teams that were truly bowl-eligible each of those two years, why did UCLA and GT get waivers?

I would guess that their name value (to the bowls) would exceed that of Temple, Bowling Green or many other "midmajors" who might be eligible.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2013 11:12 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-16-2013 11:11 AM
uabbean Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(06-13-2013 05:09 PM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  the expense need to be look at it
losing 840k when they paid you ...how much ..5 millions ????
Actually Fld gets only two shares or 2/16ths or one eight from bowl directly or 625,000 directly from the bowl - carry a large official party and paid for the unused tickets at $ 60 a pop - easy to see how they "lost" money. But before you cry any crocodile tears for poor Flor. they received about 20 million a year from the SEC.
06-16-2013 04:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.