Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Statistical analysis of 2013 CWS teams
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Statistical analysis of 2013 CWS teams
It's not a complete list yet but I wanted to check up some stats on the 2013 CWS teams. Specifically, I checked out the following stats - batting average, team sacrifice hits, team steals and roughly how many pitchers threw meaningful innings.

One trend I'm seeing are good hitting teams with speed and a deep pitching staff are making it to Omaha. I guess that's not a surprise, but really the only team that has similar stats to Rice in Omaha will be UCLA. Every other team is built more for speed than we were this past season.

Code:
LSU    .308   42 SH  54 SB  66 G  14 pitchers
UCLA    .251   64 SH  66 SB  61 G  7 pitchers
Louis   .291   52 SH  130 SB 63 G  9 pitchers
NC St  .279   49 SH  107 SB 63 G  11 pitchers
Ind.    .305   54 SH  71 SB  62 G  10 pitchers
Rice    .279  84 SH  44 SB  64 G   7 pitchers

Really doesn't matter much on the remaining teams either. UNC (.308, 46, 85 SB, 10 pitchers) or So. Car. (.286, 35 SH, 62 SB, 8-10 pitchers); Ms. State (.296, 54 SH, 56 SB, 11 pitchers) or UVA (.314, 50 SH, 64 SB, 9 pitchers); and Oregon State (.293, 56 SH, 53 SB, 8 pitchers) or Kansas State (.322, 41 SH, 99 SB, 10 pitchers).

The bottom line to me is that I don't think you can have a 2:1 ratio for sacrifices to steals. Last year, Arizona won the national title with a lot of sacrifices (75) but they still had more steals (84) than sacrifices.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 11:35 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
06-10-2013 11:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Statistical analysis of 2013 CWS teams
I kind of wonder how teams are racking up those innings for the deep pitching staffs. Based on yesterday's game, I wonder if NCSU's bullpen was a variant of "pitching by committee" whereas Wayne Graham's use of the bullpen is more traditional in trying to get multiple innings out of the reliever.

It stands to reason that if the strategy for compensating for the lack of a #4 and/or #5 starter is to pitch by committee in mid-week games, then the same strategy could work for relief in weekend series. If that's the case, then the numbers above may just reflect that strategy rather than a true depth of quality in the bullpen. Obviously, you have to have some quality to pursue that sort of strategy, but I really wonder if the #8 and #9 pitchers on Rice's staff are really any worse than guys in similar positions on other squads and at the same time whether the #5-7 guys on Rice's staff maybe aren't stronger than their peers on other teams.

As usual, this is just speculation on my part without any real depth to my knowledge on these teams or pitching in general.
06-10-2013 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.