Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mississippi State gets slap on the wrist from NCAA
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Mississippi State gets slap on the wrist from NCAA
Quote:Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde 7m
Y! sources: NCAA has accepted Mississippi State self-imposed sanctions in Will Redmond benefits case. Bulldogs lose two scholarships.

Only two scholarships lost for having a coach complicit in a booster paying a player? Jeez.
06-07-2013 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

RE: Mississippi State gets slap on the wrist from NCAA
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/publ...g+benefits

Full release from NCAA.

Sanctions include:

-Two years probation
-One year show-cause for former WR's coach
-Loss of 2 OV's for two years (self-imposed)
-Loss of 4 recruiting days for this year (self-imposed)
-Loss of 2 scholarships for this year and last year (self-impoosed)
-No free admission to games for recruits for the first 2 conference home games (self-imposed)
-Disassociation of the booster

All this for the following:

Quote:The booster befriended a top Mississippi State recruit and began arranging for him to use cars, gave him cash and provided other benefits. During the recruitment, the booster exchanged more than 100 phone calls with the recruit, assisted the recruit in securing a car to drive to a campus visit and provided cash to the recruit on multiple occasions. Additionally, the booster and his friend provided a car to the recruit for approximately $2,000 below the actual value of the car. Prior to taking an official visit to a different university, the booster told the recruit that if he did not take the visit, the recruit would be paid $6,000.

The former assistant coach, who developed a friendship with the booster, became aware of the improper recruiting activity but did not report it to university officials. The former assistant coach had frequent contact with the booster and he began to suspect that the booster was in contact with the recruit. Eventually the booster revealed he had conversations with the recruit and, in subsequent conversations, assured the former assistant coach that the recruit would commit to Mississippi State. The recruit’s non-scholastic coach told the former assistant coach the recruit received a jacket and a gift card from the booster and expressed concerns over the recruit’s car. Despite confirmation from the booster and the non-scholastic coach’s concern, the former assistant coach did not report the information to the coaching staff or administration.

In two initial interviews with the university and the NCAA, the former assistant coach denied any knowledge of the booster’s activity. After he resigned his position, the former assistant coach admitted he was aware. As a result, the committee cited the former assistant coach for unethical conduct.

Still a slap on the wrist.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 09:54 AM by CommuterBob.)
06-07-2013 09:51 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Wait till They look into this past top recruiting class.
06-07-2013 09:56 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(06-07-2013 09:56 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Wait till They look into this past top recruiting class.

That's the school in Oxford, not Starkville.
06-07-2013 09:58 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Oh, I thought it was State. My bad.
06-07-2013 01:14 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
The NCAA or somebody also needs to "boost" this booster out of the boosting business... these trouble makers always seem to be the ones to get off...
06-07-2013 06:01 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
A slap on the wrist for what is by SEC standards, minor recruiting infractions.
06-07-2013 06:09 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(06-07-2013 06:09 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  A slap on the wrist for what is by SEC standards, minor recruiting infractions.
Yep. Minor little stuff. MSU took care of the situation with self-imposed sanctions. NCAA likes self responsibility. Plus MSU probably knew the IRS was probably snooping too... this is a red state. 03-lmfao
06-07-2013 10:46 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
The NCAA's list of penalties only includes slap-on-the-wrist options, especially for P5 schools (UNC, Penn State, etc.).

If Oklahoma, ND, or Michigan were found to have paid every player $10,000, they'd get a two year bowl ban and lose 10 scholarships.
06-08-2013 08:18 AM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
Looking more and more like professional sports.
06-08-2013 12:06 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(06-08-2013 08:18 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  The NCAA's list of penalties only includes slap-on-the-wrist options, especially for P5 schools (UNC, Penn State, etc.).

If Oklahoma, ND, or Michigan were found to have paid every player $10,000, they'd get a two year bowl ban and lose 10 scholarships.
You really just said that???

I don't think Penn State received just a little ole slap on the wrist... a four year bowl ban, massive fines, and over 80 lost scholarships?

You can't be serious.
06-08-2013 03:26 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(06-08-2013 08:18 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  The NCAA's list of penalties only includes slap-on-the-wrist options, especially for P5 schools (UNC, Penn State, etc.).

Wait until the first case that starts after August 1 of this year lasy out penalties. The options include forfeiture of revenue.
06-08-2013 03:29 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(06-08-2013 03:26 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

I don't think Penn State received just a little ole slap on the wrist... a four year bowl ban, massive fines, and over 80 lost scholarships?

You can't be serious.

What happened at Penn State from 1998 to 2011 was worse than what happened at SMU from 1981 to 1986, and SMU's program was shut down.

Penn State should have been shut down.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 05:52 PM by UConn-SMU.)
06-08-2013 05:52 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(06-08-2013 05:52 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

You can't be serious.
What happened at Penn State from 1998 to 2011 was worse than what happened at SMU from 1981 to 1986, and SMU's program was shut down.

That could still happen when the government has their say on Penn State's Cleary Act violation. Although I think if the government was going to revoke Penn State's accreditation they'd have done it by now...
06-08-2013 05:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(06-08-2013 05:52 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

You can't be serious.

Penn State involved one criminal and some senior leadership cover ups. It never involved the the Penn State football program. I guess you could argue the institutional control thing... I can certainly see, as an SMU fan, where you have an issue though. You said they got a slap on the wrist. I merely said that they got more than a slap on the wrist. Truthfully, I think the NCAA realized they pretty much killed SMU for 30 years and do not want to do that again. Sorry SMU had to be the ginea pig.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 12:15 AM by USAFMEDIC.)
06-09-2013 12:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.