Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USNR Rankings + Carnegie designations for FBS
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
USNR Rankings + Carnegie designations for FBS
Ok, so I got pretty bored and I can't sleep, so I compiled the USNR rankings & the Carnegie institution designations for each Go5 school broken down by conference.

USNR uses a multitude of data sets to determine their rankings, while Carnegie uses primarily the size of the institution coupled with its UG and G course offerings and the amount of research being undertaken.

For USNR, National universities offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master's and Ph.D. programs. These colleges also are committed to producing groundbreaking research. The rankings for these institutions are national. Regional universities offer a full range of undergrad programs and some master's programs but few doctoral programs. Regional universities are ranked within their respective region (ie- Northeast, Midwest, South, and West). National Liberal Arts Colleges emphasize undergraduate education and award at least half of their degrees in the liberal arts fields of study and are ranked nationally.

For the list below:

134 = national university
**RNP = Ranking not published (rankings are hidden below #199)
55-R(W) = regional university with region in parenthesis
23-LA = national liberal arts college

For the Carnegie Classifications, doctorate-granting universities are institutions that awarded at least 20 research doctoral degrees during the update year (excluding doctoral-level degrees that qualify recipients for entry into professional practice, such as the JD, MD, PharmD, DPT, etc.). Divisions within this class are based upon the amount of research undertaken with DRU being the lowest and RU/VH being the highest. Master's Colleges and Universities include institutions that awarded at least 50 master's degrees and fewer than 20 doctoral degrees during the update year. This classification also has three separate divisions, however all of the schools listed that fall within the classification are in the highest division, which is Master's Universities- Larger programs. Baccalaureate Colleges are institutions where baccalaureate degrees represent at least 10 percent of all undergraduate degrees and where fewer than 50 master's degrees or 20 doctoral degrees were awarded during the update year. There are also three divisions here; however, the only two listed colleges that fall into this category are the military academies, which are both apart of the Arts & Sciences division.

For the list below:

RU/VH= Research Universities (very high research activity)
RU/H= Research Universities (high research activity)
DRU= Doctoral/Research Universities
M/L= Master's University (Larger program)
Bac/A&S= Baccalaureate College (Arts & Sciences)

____________USNR; Carnegie

AAC:

Cincy: 139; RU/VH
ECU: 199; DRU
Houston: 184; RU/VH
Memphis: RNP; RU/H
Navy: 14-LA; Bac/A&S
SMU: 58; RU/H
Temple: 125; RU/H
Tulane: 51; RU/VH
Tulsa: 83; DRU
UCF: 174; RU/VH
UConn: 63; RU/VH
USF: 170; RU/VH

ACC:

Boston College: 30; RU/H
Clemson: 68; RU/H
Duke: 8; RU/VH
FSU: 86; RU/VH
Ga Tech: 36; RU/VH
Louisville: 160; RU/VH
Miami: 44; RU/VH
NCSU: 106; RU/VH
Notre Dame: 17; RU/VH
Pitt: 58; RU/VH
Syracuse: 58; RU/H
UNC: 30; RU/VH
UVA: 24; RU/VH
Va Tech: 72; RU/VH
Wake Forest: 27; RU/H

B1G:

Illinois: 46; RU/VH
Indiana: 83; RU/VH
Iowa: 72; RU/VH
Maryland: 58; RU/VH
Michigan: 29; RU/VH
Michigan St: 72; RU/VH
Minnesota: 68; RU/VH
Nebraska: 101; RU/VH
Northwestern: 12; RU/VH
OSU: 56; RU/VH
Penn St: 46; RU/VH
Purdue: 65; RU/VH
Rutgers: 68; RU/VH
Wisconsin: 41; RU/VH

Big 12:

Baylor: 77; RU/H
Iowa St: 101; RU/VH
Kansas: 106; RU/VH
Kansas St: 139; RU/H
Oklahoma: 101; RU/VH
Oklahoma St: 139; RU/H
Texas: 46; RU/VH
TCU: 92; DRU
Texas Tech: 165; RU/H
WVU: 165; RU/H

CUSA:

FAU: RNP; RU/H
FIU: RNP; RU/H
La Tech: 199; RU/H
Marshall: 41-R(S); M/L
MTSU: RNP; DRU
ODU: RNP; RU/H
Rice: 17; RU/VH
UAB: 151; RU/VH
UNCC: 199; DRU
UNT: RNP; RU/H
USM: RNP; RU/H
UTEP: RNP; RU/H
UTSA: RNP; RU/H
WKU: 33-R(S); M/L

Independents:

Army: 18-LA; Bac/A&S
BYU: 68; RU/H

MAC:

Akron: RNP; RU/H
Ball St: 184; RU/H
BGSU: 184; RU/H
Buffalo: 106; RU/VH
CMU: RNP; DRU
EMU: 80-R(MW); M/L
Kent St: RNP; RU/H
Miami: 89; RU/H
NIU: 189; RU/H
Ohio: 131; RU/H
Toledo: RNP; RU/H
UMass: 97; RU/VH
WMU: 189; RU/H

MWC:

Air Force: 31-LA; Bac/A&S
Boise St: 62-R(W); M/L
Colorado St: 134; RU/VH
Fresno St: 38-R(W); M/L
Hawaii: 156; RU/VH
Nevada: 189; RU/H
New Mexico: 179; RU/VH
SDSU: 165; RU/H
SJSU: 38-R(W); M/L
UNLV: RNP; RU/H
USU: 174; RU/H
Wyoming: 156; RU/H

PAC-12:

Arizona: 120; RU/VH
Arizona St: 139; RU/VH
Cal- Berkeley: 21; RU/VH
Colorado: 97; RU/VH
Oregon: 115; RU/VH
Oregon St: 139; RU/VH
Stanford: 6; RU/VH
UCLA: 24; RU/VH
USC: 24; RU/VH
Utah: 125; RU/VH
Washington: 46; RU/VH
Washington St: 125; RU/VH

SEC:

Alabama: 77; RU/H
Arkansas: 134; RU/VH
Auburn: 89; RU/H
Florida: 54; RU/VH
Georgia: 63; RU/VH
Kentucky: 125; RU/VH
LSU: 134; RU/VH
Missouri: 97; RU/VH
Miss St: 160; RU/VH
Ole Miss: 151; RU/H
South Carolina: 115; RU/VH
Tennessee: 101; RU/VH
Texas A&M: 65; RU/VH
Vanderbilt: 17; RU/VH

SBC:

Ark St: 56-R(S); M/L
App St: 10-R(S); M/L
Ga So: RNP; DRU
Ga St: RNP; RU/VH
Idaho: 165; RU/H
NMSU: 189; RU/H
Tx St: 46-R(W); M/L
Troy: 67-R(S); M/L
UALR: RNP; DRU
ULL: RNP; RU/H
ULM: 91-R(S); M/L
USA: RNP; RU/H
UTA: RNP; RU/H

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreview...s/rankings
http://classifications.carnegiefoundatio.../basic.php
http://classifications.carnegiefoundatio...tution.php
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 01:20 PM by mufanatehc.)
06-07-2013 01:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: USNR Rankings + Carnegie designations for the Go5
Temple and Hawaii are missing.

On a separate note, the only MWC members that are both nationally ranked and have RU/VH ratings are Colorado State, Hawaii and New Mexico. Just something to keep in mind if the Pac-12 ever needs to expand (I know, highly unlikely) and can't pry loose any Big 12 schools.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 02:06 AM by HawaiiMongoose.)
06-07-2013 02:00 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
You can see why Rice and UAB had been grouped with the old CUSA schools. Both, especially Rice, look really out of place in future CUSA.

Surprised UCF is VH in research. USF is designated as a Florida state research university along with UF and FSU. UCF is not (unless that has changed only in the last couple of years).
06-07-2013 07:50 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Are the ever going to increase the academic stature at Eastern Michigan? You would think the State would throw them a bone, even it is is just one doctoral progam and research school.
06-07-2013 10:27 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

(06-07-2013 10:27 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Are the ever going to increase the academic stature at Eastern Michigan? You would think the State would throw them a bone, even it is is just one doctoral progam and research school.

They're too close to UM, literally 5 miles from edge of campus to edge of campus.

They also have a few doctoral programs, just not enough to switch designations.

But they're really the one school that looks out of place in the MAC.
06-07-2013 10:58 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

(06-07-2013 02:00 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Temple and Hawaii are missing.

On a separate note, the only MWC members that are both nationally ranked and have RU/VH ratings are Colorado State, Hawaii and New Mexico. Just something to keep in mind if the Pac-12 ever needs to expand (I know, highly unlikely) and can't pry loose any Big 12 schools.

fixed. Also forgot NMSU & Idaho, but added as well
06-07-2013 11:15 AM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

Seeing all these schools in this layout is great for the casual fan who does not know the academic profile of San Diego State and Boise State and wonders why they will not get even a passing glance from the PAC. They are both schools that appear to be serving their function very well. Boise State is a regional school, but the state of Idaho already has two national universities. Does a state that size really need a third research institution? The state of California already has approximately 587 state research schools. Do they really need SDSU to fill that role? That is why I would love to see the MWC stick together and succeed. I'm pulling for New Mexico and Hawaii to the PAC someday if they can keep improving. Colorado State to the Big 12, especially if they lose WVU after their existing GoR expires, makes a lot of sense, too. A drop of WVU and the add of CSU builds a bridge to BYU, as well.

The ACC GoR that slowed things down may prove to be a blessing for the MWC and AAC cream of the crop schools. It gives them 10-15 years to build their profiles.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 11:19 AM by bigblueblindness.)
06-07-2013 11:17 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I'm in the process of adding the other FBS conferences
06-07-2013 12:52 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
RE: USNR Rankings + Carnegie designations for FBS
(06-07-2013 11:17 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Seeing all these schools in this layout is great for the casual fan who does not know the academic profile of San Diego State and Boise State and wonders why they will not get even a passing glance from the PAC. They are both schools that appear to be serving their function very well. Boise State is a regional school, but the state of Idaho already has two national universities. Does a state that size really need a third research institution? The state of California already has approximately 587 state research schools. Do they really need SDSU to fill that role? That is why I would love to see the MWC stick together and succeed. I'm pulling for New Mexico and Hawaii to the PAC someday if they can keep improving. Colorado State to the Big 12, especially if they lose WVU after their existing GoR expires, makes a lot of sense, too. A drop of WVU and the add of CSU builds a bridge to BYU, as well.

The ACC GoR that slowed things down may prove to be a blessing for the MWC and AAC cream of the crop schools. It gives them 10-15 years to build their profiles.

Idaho should think about merging another school with Boise in my opinion. They could take advantage of the enormous PR that surrounds Boise and boost an existing school like Idaho/Idaho State's programs by moving them to Boise. Idaho would be hard to do because of their Land Grant research but I think they could figure out something like making U of Idaho based out of Boise with the Moscow campus offering Ag or something.
06-07-2013 01:26 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(06-07-2013 01:26 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 11:17 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Seeing all these schools in this layout is great for the casual fan who does not know the academic profile of San Diego State and Boise State and wonders why they will not get even a passing glance from the PAC. They are both schools that appear to be serving their function very well. Boise State is a regional school, but the state of Idaho already has two national universities. Does a state that size really need a third research institution? The state of California already has approximately 587 state research schools. Do they really need SDSU to fill that role? That is why I would love to see the MWC stick together and succeed. I'm pulling for New Mexico and Hawaii to the PAC someday if they can keep improving. Colorado State to the Big 12, especially if they lose WVU after their existing GoR expires, makes a lot of sense, too. A drop of WVU and the add of CSU builds a bridge to BYU, as well.

Idaho should think about merging another school with Boise in my opinion. They could take advantage of the enormous PR that surrounds Boise and boost an existing school like Idaho/Idaho State's programs by moving them to Boise. Idaho would be hard to do because of their Land Grant research but I think they could figure out something like making U of Idaho based out of Boise with the Moscow campus offering Ag or something.

That's not a bad idea at all. Idaho would still have some work to do academically, but they would at least be in the discussion for PAC expansion over the next couple of decades if a top 150ish national flagship university with Boise State's current athletic success was available. As a fan of all things that make common sense, filling out the PAC with the flagship schools from Idaho and New Mexico is intriguing. Those states just need to figure out a way to make it happen. Many of the B1G schools are great examples of small population/large land area states that consolidated most of their efforts into one school and made it a national brand that attracts the best and brightest. I wish the state of Nevada could be lumped in the same conversation, but they have a pretty long way to go academically.
06-07-2013 01:53 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(06-07-2013 07:50 AM)bullet Wrote:  You can see why Rice and UAB had been grouped with the old CUSA schools. Both, especially Rice, look really out of place in future CUSA.

This is what I've long thought, the next school into the AAC if UC/UConn move on is probably going to be Rice due to its academic reputation and a need to balance out the western division.

After Rice I would think Old Dominion would make a lot of sense for the AAC because it brings a growing state into the conference and a natural rival for ECU. It doesn't sound like it makes sense now but 10 years down the road it might.
06-07-2013 03:07 PM
Advertisement

Metacog Drivel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Nice work, thanks for putting all the info together.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 03:11 PM by Metacog Drivel.)
06-07-2013 03:11 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(06-07-2013 10:58 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 10:27 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  Are the ever going to increase the academic stature at Eastern Michigan? You would think the State would throw them a bone, even it is is just one doctoral progam and research school.

They're too close to UM, literally 5 miles from edge of campus to edge of campus.

They also have a few doctoral programs, just not enough to switch designations.

But they're really the one school that looks out of place in the MAC.

While not as focused on FB/BB tradition the MAC is focused on adding schools academically to its top end.

Most recent adds Buffalo, Temple and UMass definitely fit the academic mold and if they can add Delaware that would raise the bar even higher.

A move from the MAC to CUSA is out on academic grounds alone, IMO.
06-07-2013 03:11 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
You forgot Hopkins for the B1G
06-07-2013 03:47 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

(06-07-2013 03:47 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  You forgot Hopkins for the B1G

The only associate members I included were for football.

I also included non football all sports members.
06-07-2013 03:58 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
1) UConn would be ranked #2 in the Big 12, and tied for #3 in the SEC.
2) SMU would be ranked #2 in the Big 12, and #3 in the SEC.

They would both fit in very well in the ACC, Big 10, or PAC 12.

Not bad for two little ol' G5 schools ......
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 09:12 AM by UConn-SMU.)
06-08-2013 08:30 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(06-07-2013 03:07 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 07:50 AM)bullet Wrote:  You can see why Rice and UAB had been grouped with the old CUSA schools. Both, especially Rice, look really out of place in future CUSA.

This is what I've long thought, the next school into the AAC if UC/UConn move on is probably going to be Rice due to its academic reputation and a need to balance out the western division.

After Rice I would think Old Dominion would make a lot of sense for the AAC because it brings a growing state into the conference and a natural rival for ECU. It doesn't sound like it makes sense now but 10 years down the road it might.

I would say Rice and UMass.
06-08-2013 10:08 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Just mentally calculated some quick numbers (so don't sue if I'm off by a little-and USNWR isn't that great a measure, but since its here):
Conference Average USNWR Median
ACC 55 37
Big 10 58 61
Big 12 113 103
Pac 12 82 108
SEC 106 99
06-08-2013 11:28 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

And since some SEC posters like to claim the SEC is "much" better than the Big 12 academically, the facts show there's basically no difference. And with Vandy, the SEC probably has a larger standard deviation.
Average SEC 106, Big 12 113
Median SEC 99, Big 12 103
SEC west average 116
SEC middle 10 average 110
AAU institutions, Big 12 30%, SEC 28.6%

SEC and Big 12 prior to Texas A&M and Missouri moving:
Average SEC 110, Big 12 103
Median SEC 108, Big 12 101

So when A&M and Missouri moved, they moved to a conference with a slightly lower average than they were in before. And the SEC West even with A&M is slightly lower ranked than the current Big 12.
06-08-2013 12:18 PM
Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M
(06-08-2013 08:30 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  1) UConn would be ranked #2 in the Big 12, and tied for #3 in the SEC.
2) SMU would be ranked #2 in the Big 12, and #3 in the SEC.

They would both fit in very well in the ACC, Big 10, or PAC 12.

Not bad for two little ol' G5 schools ......

Louisville sticks out like a sore thumb in the ACC.
06-08-2013 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.