Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Anyone follow that FAU - UNC baseball game last night?
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
OT: Anyone follow that FAU - UNC baseball game last night?
I followed it online after watching Heat-Pacers. Amazing game, the final game of the Chapel Hill regional, with the winner advancing to the super-regional while the loser goes home. Back and forth with #1 UNC avoiding a colossal upset at the hands of FLorida-Atlantic, 13-12 in 13 innings.

To summarize some of the highlights:

FAU trailed 6-4 in the ninth but scored 4 times to go up 8-6, leaving UNC just three outs from elimination, but Carolina scored twice to take it into extra innings.

In the top of the 12th, FAU scored on a 3-run homer to seemingly seal it 11-8, but then in the bottom of the 12th their relievers choked up and walked a bunch of people, and they needed a dramatic play-at-the-plate out to keep the score tied at 11. Finally, Carolina scores in the bottom of the 13th to win it.

Had UNC lost, that would have been the basketball equivalent of say #1 Louisville losing to a #13th seed in the round of 64 or 32, and at home to boot.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:03 PM by quo vadis.)
06-04-2013 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: OT: Anyone follow that FAU - UNC baseball game last night?
The game was on ESPNU. Very entertaining. FAU just ran out of pitching in the last two innings, as is bound to happen to at least one of the teams in a 13-inning game. Both teams dug really deep and came up with some huge hits from the ninth inning on.

The difference between the college baseball tournament and the hoops tournament is that there is more parity in college baseball. There were actually fewer upsets in the regional round this year than there have been in the past few years. 14 of the 16 regional top seeds won their regional this year and moved on to the super regionals next weekend, and the other two regionals were won by the #2 seeds in those regionals, so no #3 or 4 seeds advanced this year. Five years ago, Fresno State was a #4 regional seed and won the College World Series, that was roughly the seeding equivalent of a 14 or 15 seed winning the basketball Final Four (something that will never happen in hoops).
06-04-2013 11:51 AM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(06-04-2013 11:02 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I followed it online after watching Heat-Pacers. Amazing game, the final game of the Chapel Hill regional, with the winner advancing to the super-regional while the loser goes home. Back and forth with #1 UNC avoiding a colossal upset at the hands of FLorida-Atlantic, 13-12 in 13 innings.

FAU trailed 6-4 in the ninth but scored 4 times to go up 8-6, leaving UNC just three outs from elimination, but Carolina scored twice to take it into extra innings.

In the top of the 12th, FAU scored on a 3-run homer to seemingly seal it 11-8, but then in the bottom of the 12th their relievers choked up and walked a bunch of people, and they needed a dramatic play-at-the-plate out to keep the score tied at 12. Finally, Carolina scores in the bottom of the 13th to win it.

Had UNC lost, that would have been the basketball equivalent of say #1 Louisville losing to a #13th seed in the round of 64 or 32, and at home to boot.

Tremendous game. In fact, I think it's the best baseball game I've seen since '91 NLCS with Sid Bream chugging around 3rd to score the game-winning run for the Braves over the Pirates.

I would have said the above even if we had lost. Just amazing the guts both teams displayed. Especiallly FAU in the ninth scoring 6 runs to take the lead, then UNC scoring 2 to tie it once and 3 to tie it a second time. Just awesome.
06-04-2013 12:04 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(06-04-2013 11:51 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The difference between the college baseball tournament and the hoops tournament is that there is more parity in college baseball.

I'd say the difference is there is more variability in baseball, and that's because hitting the ball is so hard. Even the best hitters fail 65% of the time or more. That means that, especially in a real short series, anything can happen. Sure, if UNC and FAU played 100 times, no way would FAU win more of them. But over just two games, the variance in performance is so great that the lesser team can steal it.

Heck, just ask LSU. Around here, even with the team playing in a home super-regional this week, they are still licking their wounds over their loss last year to Mighty ..... Stony Brook, LOL.
06-04-2013 12:06 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(06-04-2013 12:04 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 11:02 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I followed it online after watching Heat-Pacers. Amazing game, the final game of the Chapel Hill regional, with the winner advancing to the super-regional while the loser goes home. Back and forth with #1 UNC avoiding a colossal upset at the hands of FLorida-Atlantic, 13-12 in 13 innings.

In the top of the 12th, FAU scored on a 3-run homer to seemingly seal it 11-8, but then in the bottom of the 12th their relievers choked up and walked a bunch of people, and they needed a dramatic play-at-the-plate out to keep the score tied at 12. Finally, Carolina scores in the bottom of the 13th to win it.

Tremendous game. In fact, I think it's the best baseball game I've seen since '91 NLCS with Sid Bream chugging around 3rd to score the game-winning run for the Braves over the Pirates.

I would have said the above even if we had lost. Just amazing the guts both teams displayed. Especiallly FAU in the ninth scoring 6 runs to take the lead, then UNC scoring 2 to tie it once and 3 to tie it a second time. Just awesome.

As a long suffering Pirates fan, I am considering a reduction in your rep points for just mentioning that ##^%&* game..... :)
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:34 PM by TerryD.)
06-04-2013 12:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Carolina's coach Mike Fox said it was the greatest game he has ever been associated with.
06-04-2013 12:36 PM
Freshy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

In the top of the 12th, FAU scored on a 3-run homer to seemingly seal it 11-8, but then in the bottom of the 12th their relievers choked up and walked a bunch of people, and they needed a dramatic play-at-the-plate out to keep the score tied at 11. Finally, Carolina scores in the bottom of the 13th to win it.

Not true. FAU was the champion of a four bid conference with an RPI in the mid 20s. They were the two seed in the regional. The basketball equivalent would have been losing to a 5 through 8 seed...probably around a 6 or 7. FAU is a very good baseball team.
06-04-2013 01:38 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Reminds me of Game 6 of the 2011 World Series.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 01:45 PM by Love and Honor.)
06-04-2013 01:45 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
I got in the car heading home from band practice just in time to see the replay of the FAU kid hitting the 3-run homer to make it 11-8 in the top of the 12th.

What followed in the bottom of the 12th was crazy exciting drama. Had that kid been called safe on the slide -- and replay clearly showed he was safe -- that would have been an ending worthy of "Braves/Pirates 1992 NLCS" comparison.

But I believe the ump figured that since the ball beat the runner by a second (easy) the kid most have been out.

And that was not even close to the worst ump call of the extra innings.

What was even more exciting was the Carolina kid striking out that FAU batter to end the top of the 13th.

Kudos for Carolina (or any team for that matter) for overcoming the worst ump call of the night on the first out in the bottom of the 13th. Kudos, I guess, to the ump for selling it and not budging, but he was WAY off.

Hate it for the last FAU pitcher as he was just starting to get heated up when Carolina got the walk-off single.
06-04-2013 02:52 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(06-04-2013 02:52 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  I got in the car heading home from band practice just in time to see the replay of the FAU kid hitting the 3-run homer to make it 11-8 in the top of the 12th.

What followed in the bottom of the 12th was crazy exciting drama. Had that kid been called safe on the slide -- and replay clearly showed he was safe -- that would have been an ending worthy of "Braves/Pirates 1992 NLCS" comparison.

But I believe the ump figured that since the ball beat the runner by a second (easy) the kid most have been out.

And that was not even close to the worst ump call of the extra innings.

What was even more exciting was the Carolina kid striking out that FAU batter to end the top of the 13th.

Kudos for Carolina (or any team for that matter) for overcoming the worst ump call of the night on the first out in the bottom of the 13th. Kudos, I guess, to the ump for selling it and not budging, but he was WAY off.

Hate it for the last FAU pitcher as he was just starting to get heated up when Carolina got the walk-off single.

Yeah, that call on the first (only) out in the bottom of the 13th was very, very bad. Sometimes when you see the replay you think, it's not that bad because it was close and the ump had to call it live without a replay. But that one wasn't close.
06-04-2013 02:56 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU

Considering we're ranked #23 in the nation.. No.

It was an amazing game, but heartbreaking to be on the losing end. Congrats to UNC and good luck the rest of the way.
06-04-2013 03:03 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Speaking of that Braves/Pirates '92 Classic -- I just dialed up the YouTube video and, really, Belinda's 3-1 pitch to Berryhill (in the bottom of the 9th) SHOULD have been called a strike, even by a "hitter's umpire" standards.
06-04-2013 03:10 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Outcome of the game doesn't matter anyway because the cocks are taking care of business this weekend in Chapel Hill. UNC is just prolonging the inevitable.
06-04-2013 07:43 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(06-04-2013 07:43 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Outcome of the game doesn't matter anyway because the cocks are taking care of business this weekend in Chapel Hill. UNC is just prolonging the inevitable.

The matchup between the #1 overall seed and the team that has made the last three national title series has to be the marquee super regional.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 08:43 PM by quo vadis.)
06-04-2013 08:43 PM
samandrea Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(06-04-2013 07:43 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Outcome of the game doesn't matter anyway because the cocks are taking care of business this weekend in Chapel Hill. UNC is just prolonging the inevitable.

Carolina will start the beatings of sc this weekend and continue into the fall. Go Heels!!
06-05-2013 05:09 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Wedge mentioned the call at first base. I thought the worst part of the umpiring was at home plate in the last three innings of the the first 9 and then into the extra innings. I say "the worst" because the strike zone kept moving around on the pitchers and hitters. In the last few innings he actually shrank the zone which contributed to the big hits at a time when the pitching was thin. It doesn't matter what kind of strike zone an umpire establishes as long as he keeps it consistent. But moving the zone is unfair to the pitchers, can confuse the hitters, and it detracted from what was a spectacular game.
06-05-2013 10:28 AM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
Bad calls were going both ways, but since the major program won and the mid-major lost, everything is right in the world. If the end result was the other way around, ESPN would still be talking about the umpires from the game on Monday... just after they talk about LeBron for 40 minutes.
06-05-2013 11:25 AM
Advertisement

Ragu Online
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Great game and proud of the Owls. As others have said, FAU is a solid mid major baseball program. It wouldnt be like a double digit seed beating a 1 in basketball. It still would have been an upset but FAU has been ranked multiple times this year and the Sun Belt had good baseball this year as well.

Very disappointed that they couldn't pull it out but they did about as well as you could do in a loss. Remember they had to beat #1 UNC on Sunday just to force the game on Monday night.
06-05-2013 12:47 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(06-05-2013 12:47 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Great game and proud of the Owls. As others have said, FAU is a solid mid major baseball program. It wouldnt be like a double digit seed beating a 1 in basketball. It still would have been an upset but FAU has been ranked multiple times this year and the Sun Belt had good baseball this year as well.

Very disappointed that they couldn't pull it out but they did about as well as you could do in a loss. Remember they had to beat #1 UNC on Sunday just to force the game on Monday night.

FAU played a great tournament.
You have every right to be proud of your team......they are a classy bunch.
06-05-2013 02:34 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

We are all happy to see Chad Holbrook (South Carolina baseball Coach) return to Chapel Hill where he was an assistant baseball coach for 15 seasons. Holbrook is also a Carolina graduate and played baseball for the Tar Heels.
Holbrook's son Reese was diagnosed with Lukemia and a benefit golf tournament was founded in his honor in Chapel Hill. Holbrook's wife Jenn was an administrative assistant to Tar Heel basketball coach Roy Williams and Coach Williams was instrumental in making the tournament a success (it has donated almost $1 Million to the UNC Pediatric Oncology Department and is now also supporting the Palmetto Children's Hospital in Columbia, S.C.
Mike Fox, Chad Holbrook, Roy Williams and Ray Tanner are good folks doing good things.
Go Heels!

https://www.facebook.com/events/443688342342757/

http://ramsclub.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATC...64&SITE=RC

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Board...11738348/1

BTW, Ray Tanner, 'lil carolina's AD (and former baseball coach) is the former baseball coach at NC State.
06-05-2013 02:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.