Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice - NC State Super-regional Info
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Rice - NC State Super-regional Info
I'm going to be traveling to Raleigh, so not sure how much I can get done with regards to a preview, but let's consolidate all links to previews and NC State scouting reports here.

JD gets the ball rolling...

http://blog.chron.com/owls/2013/06/ralei...ina-state/

[quote]
RALEIGH SUPER REGIONAL
All games at Doak Field at Dail Park; Raleigh, N.C.

Friday: Rice at North Carolina State
3 p.m. ESPN2

Saturday: Rice at North Carolina State
3 p.m. ESPN2

Sunday: Rice at North Carolina State (if necessary)
3 p.m. EPNU

• Record: 47-14.
• Coach: Elliott Avent.
• Conference: Atlantic Coast Conference.
• NCAA appearances: 26.
• Last College World Series appearance: 1968.
• Road to super regional: Beat Binghamton 4-1, beat William & Mary 1-0, beat William & Mary 9-2.
• Players to watch: LHP Carlos Rodon (9-2, 3.19 ERA), SS Trea Turner (.377, 7 HRs, 41 RBIs, 63 runs, 27 SBs), RF Jake Fincher (.325, 26 RBIs, 79 hits, 14 SBs), 1B Tarran Senay (.292, 8 HRs, 56 RBIs,), LF Bryan Adametz (.309, 31 RBIs, 64 hits), RHP Ethan Ogburn (4-3, 2.95 ERA), LHP Grant Sasser (3-0, 1.13 ERA, 8 saves in 30 appearances), RHP Josh Easley (6-2, 1.45 ERA in 23 appearances).
• Team batting average: .281
• Team ERA: 3.12
• About the Wolfpack: North Carolina State was widely regarded as a possible national seed when the eight teams were announced. … Since an 18-10 start, the Wolf Pack has won 29 of the last 33 games. … The three runs allowed by NC State in the Raleigh Regional were its fewest in 26 regional appearances. … They are 10-1 as a regional host since 2003. … The 47 wins are two shy of the school record 49 set in 1993. … Senay was named Most Outstanding Player in the Raleigh Regional after hitting .455 (5-for-11) with a home run and seven RBIs in three games. … Fincher hit .462 (6-for-13) in the regional and has reached base safely in 59 of 61 games this season. … Rodon has won his last eight decisions.
• On the Web: North Carolina State Wolfpack
• On Twitter: @NCStateBaseball
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 01:31 AM by waltgreenberg.)
06-04-2013 01:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
RE: Rice - NC State Super-regional Info
From his regional preview, here is Kendall's breakdown of NC State...

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View...ticle=8527

Quote:N.C. State
North Carolina State will not be a fun team to face this weekend in the Raleigh Regional. The Wolfpack finished the regular season and conference tournament with a very impressive 18-10 mark vs. RPI Top 50 teams, but were snubbed out of a national seed, with Oregon getting the nod for the No. 8 spot. N.C. State's starting rotation has been kind of a revolving door this season, but keep an eye on imposing left-handed pitcher Carlos Rodon, who was up to 93 in the ninth inning last weekend against North Carolina, and had his usual devastating 83-85 slider working extremely well, particularly in on right-handed hitters. Left-handed pitcher Brad Stone is a tall lanky-framed guy who has shown flashes of greatness this season, making his 5.81 ERA rather deceptive, while Logan Jernigan was in the rotation last weekend and has a 1.07 ERA in 25 1/3 innings of work. Meanwhile, the strength of this team is the bullpen with quality arms such as Grant Sasser (1.18, 29 IP), Josh Easley (1.62), Andrew Woeck (2.86) and Ryan Wilkins (4.00) leading the charge. Also keep an eye on consistent closer Chris Overman, who doesn't have overpowering stuff, but is a bulldog who throws strikes. Meanwhile, from an offensive standpoint, the Wolfpack have the potential to put up some runs if they get on a roll. Third baseman Grant Clyde, who's hitting .291 with four homers and 24 RBIs has been solid lately, while shortstop Trea Turner leads the way with a .376 batting average, six homers, 40 RBIs, and of course, 24 stolen bases in 30 attempts. Bryan Adametz and Jake Fincher also are tough hitters, while imposing Tarran Senay, who's hitting .284 with six homers and 49 RBIs, has good power and is a run producer.

This is a team of jackrabbits on the bases-- they've stolen 104 of 137 bases (76%), have 5 players with 11+ steals, led by their best hitter, Trey Turner (27-33 SBs). Hopefully, Geoff can get back in action by Friday. Offensively, this will be a change for us, and a challenge for our pitchers-- they are an EXTREMELY patient and discipline team at the plate that likes to work deep into the count. Consequently, they have received a well-above average number of walks (4.0/game), but also a lot of strikeouts.

LHP Rondon is an absolute stud. He was national Freshman POY last season, and after getting off to a tough first month this year, he's reeled off 8 consecutive wins. He's the only pitcher in the country with a better strikeout per IP rate than Kubitza (161 Ks in 110.0 IP). It will be a very tough Game 1 matchup for Stephens and the Owls. And the strength of the Wolfpack staff is it's bullpen, which is arguably the deepest in the country-- with 7 different guys with ERAs under 2.80 and with 15+ appearances and/or 23+ innings pitched. Sounds like they play righty-lefty indefinitely. As a staff, they are 2nd in the country (behind only Louisville) in strikeouts; averaging just under 1 strikeout per IP...and that's against a very good Strength of Schedule (they're 19-10 vs. Top 50). They're also 5th in the country in BAA at .215. (We're 10th at .224.)
06-04-2013 04:15 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Here's Aaron Fitt and BA's breakdown of NC State prior to the regional...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/r...l-preview/

Quote:North Carolina State hosted and won a regional a year ago with a nice blend of quality veterans and precocious freshmen. The Wolfpack lost four key regulars from that team, including its top two hitters and its leading home run hitter, making this team less offensive. But the ‘Pack still has two of the nation’s most electric players in sophomore shortstop Trea Turner (.376/.460/.567, 6 HR, 40 RBI, 24 SB) and sophomore lefthander Carlos Rodon (8-2, 3.48 with a nation-leading 151 strikeouts in 101 innings), and the complementary pieces are solid. A broken ankle cost Turner 10 games and slowed him down a bit on the basepaths, but he remains a disruptive force on the basepaths and a gifted hitter with good bat speed. Fellow sophomore Jake Fincher (.317/.409/.361, 14 SB) brings more speed to the basepaths and to the outfield. Speed is N.C. State’s greatest offensive weapon, as five Wolfpack players stole double-digit bases. First baseman Tarran Senay (.284/.364/.446, 6 HR, 49 RBI) has emerged as the team’s primary RBI man and power threat as a senior, and fellow senior Bryan Adametz (.320/.369/.396) has morphed from solid bench player a year ago to a key part of the offensive attack this year. The Wolfpack is an average defensive infield with a strong-armed, swift outfield. Catcher Brett Austin has made a leap forward as a sophomore, and second baseman Logan Ratledge, center fielder Brett Williams and shortstop Turner make the Pack solid up the middle. Rodon had an up-and-down sophomore season, but when he is utterly overpowering when he’s on, as he was in a 10-inning, one-hit performance against North Carolina in the ACC tournament. His low-to-mid-90s fastball and wipeout slider are devastating. The Wolfpack has struggled all season to get consistent outings from its other starters, but freshman lefty Brad Stone (2-2, 5.81) has good stuff and pitched well last week. Veteran righty Ethan Ogburn (4-3, 2.98) will get the nod in the regional opener against Binghamton, and the Wolfpack needs him to keep the game close for four or five innings. The deep bullpen can take it from there. Between slop-tossing lefty Grant Sasser (3-0, 1.18), aggressive righties Ryan Wilkins (6-2, 4.00) and Chris Overman (1-1, 0.39) and a host of complementary pieces, N.C. State’s bullpen is a real asset.

So, it appears we'll be facing southpaw pitching both Friday and Saturday. Oh, goodie! 03-banghead
06-04-2013 04:29 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Rodon will start Friday for sure. It's possible NC State's #2 starter will be Ogburn though and Stone will be held back for a possible game 3. Either way, they have a quality team on paper and probably deserved that final national seed over Oregon.

It's a very good test but you can't expect any less at this point of the season.
06-04-2013 06:03 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Going to throw it out there. With how much use Zech put in yesterday, I find it difficult to believe he will be at his best come Friday. My thought: we go with a Stephens-Kubitza-Lemond rotation with Simms out of the pen as the stopper. I know John struggled this weekend, but I think that had to do with all the warm-up. This way, he has one role and one he is familiar with and thrived in.
06-04-2013 06:41 AM
temchugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
I'm planning to go to Raleigh. Can I get series tickets through Rice?
06-04-2013 06:45 AM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-04-2013 06:45 AM)temchugh Wrote:  I'm planning to go to Raleigh. Can I get series tickets through Rice?

Yup. I got mine locked up through Marc Laney of the Athletic Department in the wee hours of the morning (couldn't sleep). He thinks they'll be able to accomodate most everyone who wants tickets.
06-04-2013 08:13 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-04-2013 06:41 AM)d1owls4life Wrote:  Going to throw it out there. With how much use Zech put in yesterday, I find it difficult to believe he will be at his best come Friday. My thought: we go with a Stephens-Kubitza-Lemond rotation with Simms out of the pen as the stopper. I know John struggled this weekend, but I think that had to do with all the warm-up. This way, he has one role and one he is familiar with and thrived in.

I think Simms is closer for Friday night alone, and Zech is back in his customary role on Saturday (with Simms starting if necessary on Sunday).
06-04-2013 08:16 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(06-04-2013 08:16 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 06:41 AM)d1owls4life Wrote:  Going to throw it out there. With how much use Zech put in yesterday, I find it difficult to believe he will be at his best come Friday. My thought: we go with a Stephens-Kubitza-Lemond rotation with Simms out of the pen as the stopper. I know John struggled this weekend, but I think that had to do with all the warm-up. This way, he has one role and one he is familiar with and thrived in.

I think Simms is closer for Friday night alone, and Zech is back in his customary role on Saturday (with Simms starting if necessary on Sunday).

Just wondering if we want to mess with that again considering how poorly it went last time.
06-04-2013 08:22 AM
lyncas Offline
Water Engineer

Good stuff ! Thanks for posting the breakdown.

It looks like Rice has a big test this weekend to move onto the CWS.
06-04-2013 08:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Anyone got insight on accommodations (team hotel, nearby hotels, recommendations)? Trying to see if I can make it out for this one.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 08:49 AM by Antarius.)
06-04-2013 08:49 AM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-04-2013 08:49 AM)Antarius Wrote:  Anyone got insight on accommodations (team hotel, nearby hotels, recommendations)? Trying to see if I can make it out for this one.

Still awaiting word on team hotel...but as I post earlier, Marc Laney in on point for tickets, and believes they should be able to accomodate most everyone who wants to attend.
06-04-2013 08:53 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(06-04-2013 08:53 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 08:49 AM)Antarius Wrote:  Anyone got insight on accommodations (team hotel, nearby hotels, recommendations)? Trying to see if I can make it out for this one.

Still awaiting word on team hotel...but as I post earlier, Marc Laney in on point for tickets, and believes they should be able to accomodate most everyone who wants to attend.

Thanks.

The holdup is more on my side in trying to see if I can fit this into my schedule.
06-04-2013 08:57 AM
Memphis Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
NCAA Selections
Walt:

All season long, multiple experts claimed that CUSA was weak. Rice was in danger of not getting an invitation if Rice did not earn the automatic bid.

Is it possible that there was more disrespect of CUSA teams than was justified?

As it is always the case, the SEC and ACC had great reputations. Perhaps the perceptions of their resumes were inflated? I do not question that the SEC and ACC are deep and that their teams at the top are deserving.

I really thought that Memphis deserved an invitation. They played hard all year and had 2 wins over Ole Miss. They also took the weekend series against Rice at Reckling. Arguments can also be made that Houston and Southern Miss had good seasons and should have been considered.

Super Regional Round:

ACC: 4 teams
SEC: 4 teams
PAC12: 2 teams
Big12: 2 teams
Big10: 1 team
BigEast: 1 team
BigWest: 1 team
CUSA: 1 team
06-04-2013 09:43 AM
CoatzaOwl Offline
1st String

Donators

D1:

I think it's worth considering. I'd also throw into the mix a rotation of Simms/Stephens/Kubitza. Based on this weekend, Simms will be the most well rested by Friday - so go with John in Game 1 & give Jordan & Austin an extra day. I guess they'll all throw bullpen sessions on Wednesday & the coaches will incorporate that into their decision making.

At the end of the day, I guess it'll be Stephens/TBD/TBD. If we win Friday, it think Wayne will go with Simms & save a slightly better rested Kubitza for the Sunday if necessary game. If we lose Friday, I think it'll be Kubitza - can't risk going home without using Austin.
06-04-2013 09:45 AM
NicevilleWRC Offline
1st String

(06-04-2013 09:45 AM)CoatzaOwl Wrote:  Based on this weekend, Simms will be the most well rested by Friday - so go with John in Game 1 & give Jordan & Austin an extra day.

Wouldn't Stephens be the most rested since he started Saturday and Simms started Sunday?
06-04-2013 10:38 AM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
My exchange with Marc was finalized about an hour ago and at that time he still felt confident about having enough tickets.

Unlike at Nike U I do not think Festival Seating will be employed for ticket buyers in Raleigh.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:13 PM by Tiki Owl.)
06-04-2013 12:06 PM
v-eight Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: RICE

New Orleans Bowl

Ticket order form indicates they are only taking orders from Season Ticket Holders or Owl Club Donors. I'm neither, but within driving distance. Hope you're right. The wife and I would love to take the kids for the weekend series. I'll send in my order form just in case...
06-04-2013 12:17 PM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(06-04-2013 12:17 PM)v-eight Wrote:  

Ticket order form indicates they are only taking orders from Season Ticket Holders or Owl Club Donors. I'm neither, but within driving distance. Hope you're right. The wife and I would love to take the kids for the weekend series. I'll send in my order form just in case...

Rice is going to want to get their allotment of tickets in the hands of Rice fans. At the LSU Super Regionals, Rice had trouble selling out their tickets to the series. Raleigh is a lot further from Houston than Red Stick. Call/email Marc Laney.
06-04-2013 12:59 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
If this was a Saturday through Monday SR, and Monday were necessary, I might have tried to make it down. It's only 3 hours away. But my weekend is full and I'm going to have to miss this. Good luck to the team, and for those who will make it, cheer hard.
06-04-2013 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.