Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN: Big Ten, Pinstripe Bowl agree.....
westophilia Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Boise State
ESPN: Big Ten, Pinstripe Bowl agree.....
http://espn.go.com/new-york/college-foot...tripe-bowl

The Pinstripe Bowl and the Big Ten have agreed to an eight-year partnership, it was announced Monday.

Commissioner Jim Delany was at Yankee Stadium for the announcement of the deal with the three-year-old bowl game that will begin in 2014. He appeared at a news conference with Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner and team president Randy Levine.

"When we began planning we had an objective to end up in New York at the New Era Pinstripe Bowl," Delany said. "We're in the east now with Maryland and Rutgers. Not only is New York the financial capital, sports capital of the country, but it is the place you need to be if you truly want to present a national slate of bowl games."

The Big Ten will send one of its teams to the Pinstripe Bowl from 2014-21. The partnership will provide the Big Ten signage inside Yankee Stadium for all Yankees home regular season games starting in 2014, a source said.

"No doubt having the Big Ten is going to take (the Pinstripe Bowl) to new heights," Steinbrenner said. "My family can definitely be considered a Big Ten family. My mother went to Ohio State. Dad (the late George Steinbrenner) coached football at Northwestern and Purdue. So from a family standpoint we're very excited."

Starting in 2014, a team from the Big Ten annually will play an ACC team in the Pinstripe Bowl, sources said. However, the ACC partnership was not part of Monday afternoon's news conference.

The deal between the Big Ten and Yankee Stadium also will include additional future conference events held at the ballpark, a source said.

Delany said the Big Ten will not be locked into sending a team from a specific slot in the standings to the Pinstripe Bowl -- or to any of its bowls outside the College Football Playoff system.

"All of us in college football are making an effort to sort of change from a system of pure selection to a system of working with the bowl and the conference to place a team that makes sense," he said. "That means for us we're going to try to get over an 8-year period, a minimum of six and a maximum of eight different teams here."

Starting in 2014, the Pinstripe Bowl is expected to be in a Big Ten three-bowl pool with the Kraft Fight Hunger and Gator/Music City to get the fifth through seventh selections from the conference.

The Pinstripe also is expected to be in an ACC four-bowl pool with the Belk, Sun and Gator/Music City to get the third through sixth selections from the league.

This year, the last of the current bowl cycle, will match teams from the Big 12 and American Athletic (formerly the Big East) conferences.

The move is not unexpected. Athletic directors at the Big Ten meetings in Chicago two weeks ago said the league was working to add the Pinstripe Bowl to its new postseason lineup.
06-04-2013 01:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: ESPN: Big Ten, Pinstripe Bowl agree.....
although this is mostly old news, i did not realize this was an 8 year agreement. Seems like a long time and this has the potential to be the big ten's stinker bowl. the one that nobody wants. although Detroit will be probably win that one.

Although in theory New York is a great destination, i do not consider it a great city to visit. Its expensive and its cold and its airport flights are always delayed. At least there is times square on new years eve, so i guess it could work if the big ten sells it as each team will play here once and only once, because times square at midnite you dont need to do more than once.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 04:53 AM by goofus.)
06-04-2013 04:45 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
going overboard making such a big deal of this
06-04-2013 05:49 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(06-04-2013 04:45 AM)goofus Wrote:  although this is mostly old news, i did not realize this was an 8 year agreement. Seems like a long time and this has the potential to be the big ten's stinker bowl. the one that nobody wants. although Detroit will be probably win that one.

Although in theory New York is a great destination, i do not consider it a great city to visit. Its expensive and its cold and its airport flights are always delayed. At least there is times square on new years eve, so i guess it could work if the big ten sells it as each team will play here once and only once, because times square at midnite you dont need to do more than once.

Excellent city to visit even in the winter. Granted I live 10 miles outside Manhattan, so I'm pretty biased. As for Times Square on New Years Eve, avoid it like the plague even once is too many times. However, NY overall is a great place on New Years Eve. I've flown out of here countless times and I've literally never experienced a delay. LaGuardia sucks though. Newark and JFK are good.

All that being said I can't and won't dispute the expensive part.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 09:12 AM by brista21.)
06-04-2013 09:01 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(06-04-2013 09:01 AM)brista21 Wrote:  All that being said I can't and won't dispute the expensive part.

Which is a large part of why the 'pool' system is important ~ it makes not sending the same school two times in a row or twice in three years even more important.

Though a bowl out in the weather, and a chance to beat up on Syracuse or BC or Pitt ... brilliant move. One bowl that won't be condemned to be a permanent away game.
06-04-2013 09:24 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-04-2013 09:24 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 09:01 AM)brista21 Wrote:  All that being said I can't and won't dispute the expensive part.

Which is a large part of why the 'pool' system is important ~ it makes not sending the same school two times in a row or twice in three years even more important.

Though a bowl out in the weather, and a chance to beat up on Syracuse or BC or Pitt ... brilliant move. One bowl that won't be condemned to be a permanent away game.

Bring it on: Kansas State and West Virginia both failed.
06-04-2013 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brista21 Offline

Donators
(06-04-2013 10:48 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

The "hometown" teams are 3-0 so far in the bowl.
06-04-2013 12:20 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(06-04-2013 12:20 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

The hometown teams can have it. Yankee Stadium sucks as a bowl venue. I said that when they first created the bowl, and nothing has changed my mind about it...
06-04-2013 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brista21 Offline

Donators
(06-04-2013 01:39 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 12:20 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

The hometown teams can have it. Yankee Stadium sucks as a bowl venue. I said that when they first created the bowl, and nothing has changed my mind about it...

Oh I couldn't agree more. I'm also not a lover of the new Yankee Stadium period. There's a much nicer ballpark in Flushing...
06-04-2013 04:06 PM
Strings74 Offline
Water Engineer

(06-04-2013 04:45 AM)goofus Wrote:  although this is mostly old news, i did not realize this was an 8 year agreement. Seems like a long time and this has the potential to be the big ten's stinker bowl. the one that nobody wants. although Detroit will be probably win that one.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but damn. New York is one of the great cities of the world. There is a hell of a lot more to the experience than chilly winter weather and Times Square (of all places).
06-05-2013 03:18 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(06-05-2013 03:18 PM)Strings74 Wrote:  

You are of course entitled to your opinion but damn. New York is one of the great cities of the world. There is a hell of a lot more to the experience than chilly winter weather and Times Square (of all places).

hmm, well if the game was indoors in a dome in Manhatten, maybe that would be more appealing. Whatever happened to that dome the jets were supposed to move to?
06-05-2013 04:01 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(06-05-2013 04:01 PM)goofus Wrote:  

hmm, well if the game was indoors in a dome in Manhatten, maybe that would be more appealing. Whatever happened to that dome the jets were supposed to move to?

The Jets bought into the new stadium with the Giants in NJ instead. The state of NY would not help to fund the domed stadium in NYC so the project flopped.
06-05-2013 08:01 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns

There's our world famous pimps, and chuds, and khlav khalash and crab juice stands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCigBUKQAY
06-05-2013 08:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.