Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UMass Decision Time...
Bookmark and Share
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Exclamation UMass Decision Time...
This just in:

"Decision time for UMass is coming regarding its future in the MAC in football. When UMass went to the FBS level a few years ago, the MAC took them in the way they accepted Temple, which allowed basketball to remain in the Atlantic 10. But both sides have escape clauses and the word may be that the MAC is ready to tell UMass, if you want to stay in the MAC in football, you have become a full member in all sports, which would mean UMass leaving the rising in stature A10.

If UMass balks at that, they will need to find another conference for their football team, with only Conference USA as the most likely choice, but even that has no guarantees…"

http://ajerseyguy.com/

Football Scoops asks if UMass is heading back to FCS

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/9847-c...ack-to-fcs
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 07:49 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
06-02-2013 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
RE: Ultimatum Time?
I disagree that CUSA would be the next option, they are full. Sun Belt is it at 11 and desperate for #12, they would take UMass football only in a heartbeat.
06-02-2013 04:22 PM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I cannot see UMass being happy playing in the MAC for basketball with the conference traditionally getting just one NCAA tourney bid. It may be time to part ways. The best thing about the MAC is the rivalries that build in all sports. The membership made sense when Temple was a conference member but it makes no sense now.
06-02-2013 04:24 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(06-02-2013 04:22 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  I disagree that CUSA would be the next option, they are full. Sun Belt is it at 11 and desperate for #12, they would take UMass football only in a heartbeat.

yup, CUSA decided at it's spring meeting to stay at 14 unless a special situation arose, and Umass isn't a special situation.
06-02-2013 04:25 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

RE: UMass Ultimatum Time...
(06-02-2013 04:24 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  I cannot see UMass being happy playing in the MAC for basketball with the conference traditionally getting just one NCAA tourney bid. It may be time to part ways. The best thing about the MAC is the rivalries that build in all sports. The membership made sense when Temple was a conference member but it makes no sense now.

UMass is in a league with 5 bids and still haven't danced in 15 years. I don't think they'll notice the difference.
06-02-2013 05:04 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I would not be too excited if CUSA invited UMass. They make little geographic sense in a conference that has made geography pretty important throughout realignment.
06-02-2013 05:09 PM
Advertisement

All American

(06-02-2013 05:04 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  
(06-02-2013 04:24 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  I cannot see UMass being happy playing in the MAC for basketball with the conference traditionally getting just one NCAA tourney bid. It may be time to part ways. The best thing about the MAC is the rivalries that build in all sports. The membership made sense when Temple was a conference member but it makes no sense now.

UMass is in a league with 5 bids and still haven't danced in 15 years. I don't think they'll notice the difference.

Very true, they are like Indiana Football who brags about being in a 10 bowl tie-in Big Ten and then still sits home every bowl season. At least Indiana gets a financial windfall, where the MAC's new TV deal will be better than the A-10's $350,000.
06-02-2013 05:10 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Glad UMass is getting called on the carpet finally. Happy if they are all in, otherwise loving MO State & Arkansas State!
06-02-2013 05:22 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
The Sun Belt would take UMass FBall only in a second. Would give them 12..
06-02-2013 06:18 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
UMass is between a rock and a hard place.

I wonder if they would consider moving back down to the FCS CAA for football?

I don't see them as:

1) Full member of the MAC,
2). Full member of the C-USA because of geography.
3). Full member of the SBC because of geography - I know that would be ridiculous.
4). I doubt they could survive as a FBS independent.

I can see why the MAC might be putting the squeeze on UMass.

The MAC has to get a 14th FB teams - they can not sit at 13 for the next 5 or 10 years.

The MAC literally is in the proverbial "S*it or get off the can" situation.

They have to plan to go to 14 or retrench and go back to 12.

EDIT: I might add that the MAC that both #13 and #14 would have to be all sports, otherwise, there would be no stability. I don't think they'd take another Temple or UMass.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013 06:46 PM by emu steve.)
06-02-2013 06:20 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(06-02-2013 06:18 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  The Sun Belt would take UMass FBall only in a second. Would give them 12..

Wow, while you were posting this I was composing a post shooting down the idea.
06-02-2013 06:21 PM
Advertisement

UMassD Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UMass
Source? 07-coffee3
06-02-2013 06:27 PM
Steve86 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
(06-02-2013 06:27 PM)UMassD Wrote:  Source? 07-coffee3

Go read in the link in the first post.
06-02-2013 07:34 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(06-02-2013 07:34 PM)Steve86 Wrote:  
(06-02-2013 06:27 PM)UMassD Wrote:  Source? 07-coffee3

Go read in the link in the first post.

No substantial source. Guy probably has just been reading this board. nothing new, really.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013 07:43 PM by axeme.)
06-02-2013 07:43 PM
All American

(06-02-2013 06:18 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  The Sun Belt would take UMass FBall only in a second. Would give them 12..

Let the Sun Belt have them then. We can go back to 12 teams that actually want to be here, if James Madison and Delaware are interested in #13 and #14, then that works too. So does Mo State and Arkansas State. The Sun Belt can become the land of patched together 6 FCS transition teams, 2 basketball only teams, 3 football only teams and stretch from the NE to the SW to the NW. That conference will implode and go the way of the WAC. The MAC is better than to be a mess of teams. None of the real conference we aspire to be have football or basketball only teams. The Big East imploded for a reason.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013 07:48 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
06-02-2013 07:45 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
If it is true then the timing is lining up with JMU's feasibility study. I could see UMass asking for the "ultimatum" so they can use it to join all sports and putting the blame on the MAC.
06-02-2013 08:04 PM
Advertisement

The Optimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nicheless MAC
MAC leadership has yet to show me they are willing to play hardball with these types of situations. They will not demand UMass come to the MAC in all sports. I agree that it'd be nice if we steted holding MAC members accountable, though.

We can dream!
06-02-2013 08:11 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

Football-only for an FCS call up is a horrible idea, regardless of the school or the conference.

You have to show the critics within you school's staff, administration, alums, etc that the university is COMMITTED to the move and the move is a done deal. That way there's no point in arguing about what's already done.

But when you just kinda, sorta, maybe, just a little, try it out and see what happens you empower your critics to blast you after ever loss and every set back, no matter how small.

this is a slow bleed for everyone involved and its unsustainable in the long term. The quicker its resolved, the better for all parties involved.
06-02-2013 08:49 PM
All American

(06-02-2013 08:11 PM)The Optimist Wrote:  MAC leadership has yet to show me they are willing to play hardball with these types of situations. They will not demand UMass come to the MAC in all sports. I agree that it'd be nice if we steted holding MAC members accountable, though.

We can dream!

They made Temple accountable to the tune of $6 million. Steinbrecher is a good commissioner. He is no Rick Chryst.
06-02-2013 08:53 PM
All American

(06-02-2013 08:04 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  If it is true then the timing is lining up with JMU's feasibility study. I could see UMass asking for the "ultimatum" so they can use it to join all sports and putting the blame on the MAC.

This also lines up with the MAC Grant of rights and the new ESPN TV deal negotiation.

Mid-July:

- James Madison receives their awaited CAA conference money.
- James Madison has said their FBS study will be ready
- Old Dominion beat writer says JMU likely to MAC and Old Dominion is looking to schedule a long-term scheduling agreement as an OOC rival.
- CBS Sports says MAC Grant of Rights being discussed
- CBS Sports says ESPN and MAC renegotiating TV Deal.
- Kent State President has confirmed the MAC has talked to a "Virginia School"
- Delaware beat writer has been quoted that Delaware has studied joining the MAC since back in April
- James Madison beat writer has said JMU not interested in the Sun Belt but was interested in CUSA and also the MAC. CUSA may have been their first choice, but has since closed that door.
- UMass Coach Molnar recently quoted saying UMass will be playing mid-week MAC games on campus starting in 2014.
- Atlantic 10 has been quietly talking to Siena which sits right next to UMass

I'm sure there is more I have forgotten or have left out, but there is plenty of smoke indicating UMass and James Madison on their way soon.
06-02-2013 09:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.