Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gordon Gee's comments on conference expansion
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Gordon Gee's comments on conference expansion
From SI.com - you can listen to the whole 27 minutes, as there's a lot of other interesting tidbits in there.

http://college-football.si.com/2013/05/3...&eref=sihp

"We've for some time talked about the need for us to expand the footprint of the Big 10 without getting too far outside of our geography. Texas, Georgia Tech, those are the kind of places we have talked about, but they are geographically a little challenging. We also have talked for some time about Maryland and Rutgers, but we wanted to pair those two together."

“[The addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten] gives us 40 to 50 million more viewers, makes the BTN worth more money than God. I did say that. It’s a very powerful instrument for us.”

“This is a high possibility. If the ACC continues to struggle, and Florida State goes off to the SEC or something like that, and Clemson moves in a different direction, all of a sudden Virginia and Duke, which are very similar institutions to — and North Carolina — which are very similar institutions to the Big Ten, there is a real possibility that we may end up having that kind of T which goes south. And I could see them joining us. And I could see them having a real interest in joining us.”

“I think that when we added Nebraska, it caused a whole domino effect that I don't think that we quite predicted. I think if we had predicted that, we would have added Missouri and Kansas at the same time, right Gene?"
Gene (OSU's AD) - "That was on the table."
Gee - "And Pitt was on the table. You know Penn State just abhors Pitt. It would be the same way. Even though we love Cincinnati as a city, we want it to be an Ohio State city. They’d have to take Gene out and shoot him to let Cincinnati into the Big Ten. There are some things that we just would not to. And that’s the way that Penn State also feels about Pitt. One of the problems we have is that Iowa has tremendous pressure about Iowa State. But we're not interested about Iowa State. We are interested in Missouri and Kansas eventually I think... This all has to be speculation that remains right here, and I could see eventually that t that goes South, all according to what happens with the ACC, so we need to be ready to move.”

He also had some comments on the NCAA in general:

“My view, very candidly — and I’ve said this to you before and I’m not certain if [athletic director] Gene [Smith] shares this, we haven’t really talked about this — but I think we’re moving precipitously toward about three or four superconferences of about 16 to 20 teams. And the possibility of them bolting from the NCAA is not unlikely.”

“The smaller schools in the Divisions II and III, which have substantial power but no power in terms of television draw or anything else, they have increasingly become rigid about the way that we change some of the rules in support of the revenue-generating institutions. And eventually that’s gonna drive us all into a new kind of a configuration. And that’s where I think we’re going.”

IMO, these are more interesting than his jokes on Catholics or the SEC. Also, please don't discuss those parts of his comments as that thread is already shut down.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2013 04:20 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
05-31-2013 04:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Gordon Gee's comments on conference expansion
(05-31-2013 04:18 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  From SI.com - you can listen to the whole 27 minutes, as there's a lot of other interesting tidbits in there.

"We've for some time talked about the need for us to expand the footprint of the Big 10 without getting too far outside of our geography. Texas, Georgia Tech, those are the kind of places we have talked about, but they are geographically a little challenging. We also have talked for some time about Maryland and Rutgers, but we wanted to pair those two together."

“[The addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten] gives us 40 to 50 million more viewers, makes the BTN worth more money than God. I did say that. It’s a very powerful instrument for us.”

“This is a high possibility. If the ACC continues to struggle, and Florida State goes off to the SEC or something like that, and Clemson moves in a different direction, all of a sudden Virginia and Duke, which are very similar institutions to — and North Carolina — which are very similar institutions to the Big Ten, there is a real possibility that we may end up having that kind of T which goes south. And I could see them joining us. And I could see them having a real interest in joining us.”

“I think that when we added Nebraska, it caused a whole domino effect that I don't think that we quite predicted. I think if we had predicted that, we would have added Missouri and Kansas at the same time, right Gene?"
Gee - "And Pitt was on the table. You know Penn State just abhors Pitt. It would be the same way. Even though we love Cincinnati as a city, we want it to be an Ohio State city. They’d have to take Gene out and shoot him to let Cincinnati into the Big Ten. There are some things that we just would not to. And that’s the way that Penn State also feels about Pitt. One of the problems we have is that Iowa has tremendous pressure about Iowa State. But we're not interested about Iowa State. We are interested in Missouri and Kansas eventually I think... This all has to be speculation that remains right here, and I could see eventually that t that goes South, all according to what happens with the ACC, so we need to be ready to move.”

“My view, very candidly — and I’ve said this to you before and I’m not certain if [athletic director] Gene [Smith] shares this, we haven’t really talked about this — but I think we’re moving precipitously toward about three or four superconferences of about 16 to 20 teams. And the possibility of them bolting from the NCAA is not unlikely.”

The smaller schools in the Divisions II and III, which have substantial power but no power in terms of television draw or anything else, they have increasingly become rigid about the way that we change some of the rules in support of the revenue-generating institutions. And eventually that’s gonna drive us all into a new kind of a configuration. And that’s where I think we’re going.

IMO, these are more interesting than his jokes on Catholics or the SEC. Also, please don't discuss those parts of his comments as that thread is already shut down.

I've seen this play run before.

They ran it to get Division I split into I-A and I-AA in football.
Ran it again to push more of I-A into I-AA.
Used that play to create the federated governance structure.

I suspect there are two possible plays being considering.

Play #1. Strengthening the power of the "equity" conferences. Tweaking the system so you don't see another situation like the stipend where the power leagues approve it and the have nots get it knocked out.

Play #2 Back out of the deal cut when the federated governance structure was adopted that preserved for eternity the revenue formula for the NCAA.
05-31-2013 04:32 PM
LUcanesfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Flames / Canes
Sounds like the B1G has a "thing" for the ACC. Lol.

If they had taken Missouri and Kansas along with Nebraska, the Big 12 would have been ripped apart.
05-31-2013 04:38 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
I thought the Big Ten had non-disclosure agreements with the schools they were interested in? Guess it only worked one way. 03-lmfao

Thanks Gee! This info might help with the exit fee case. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
05-31-2013 04:46 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-31-2013 04:18 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  “I think that when we added Nebraska, it caused a whole domino effect that I don't think that we quite predicted. I think if we had predicted that, we would have added Missouri and Kansas at the same time, right Gene?"

That was a huge decision point, then. The Big 12 was saved by only losing two schools one year and then two more the next. If they had lost four at once (Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Colorado), then maybe TAMU goes to the SEC then instead of a year later, and UT and OU don't think the Big 12 is worth saving, and they just make the best deal they can with the Pac (or the SEC).
05-31-2013 04:47 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-31-2013 04:46 PM)omniorange Wrote:  I thought the Big Ten had non-disclosure agreements with the schools they were interested in? Guess it only worked one way. 03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil

The Big Ten lawyers, the other school presidents, AD's and Jim Delany must love this guy.

Barry Alvarez already came out and apologized to his ex-coach, saying that he did not say or feel what was attributed to him by Gordon Gee.
05-31-2013 05:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(05-31-2013 05:18 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(05-31-2013 04:46 PM)omniorange Wrote:  I thought the Big Ten had non-disclosure agreements with the schools they were interested in? Guess it only worked one way. 03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil

The Big Ten lawyers, the other school presidents, AD's and Jim Delany must love this guy.

Barry Alvarez already came out and apologized to his ex-coach, saying that he did not say or feel what was attributed to him by Gordon Gee.

I'm waiting for a reporter to ask Swarbrick if it's true that the Big Ten wasn't interested in Notre Dame during the expansion in 2010 with Swarbrick answering, "I'm sorry, I am unable to divulge any information on that due to a non-disclosure statement the university signed."

Cheers,
Neil
05-31-2013 05:44 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-31-2013 04:18 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  From SI.com - you can listen to the whole 27 minutes, as there's a lot of other interesting tidbits in there.

“The smaller schools in the Divisions II and III, which have substantial power but no power in terms of television draw or anything else, they have increasingly become rigid about the way that we change some of the rules in support of the revenue-generating institutions. And eventually that’s gonna drive us all into a new kind of a configuration. And that’s where I think we’re going.”

I think we can arrange that......05-mafia
05-31-2013 05:49 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Sounds like Gee hasn't been keeping up with current events. Did anyone explain to him what a grant of rights is?

It makes you wonder whether facts play any particular role in shaping his opinions. The most revealing comment to me was that he thinks we're moving toward superconferences, although he and his AD "haven't really talked about this." I would expect a university president to be interested in the university AD's thoughts about changing the fundamental structure of D-1 collegiate athletics.
05-31-2013 05:58 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(05-31-2013 04:18 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  [The addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten] gives us 40 to 50 million more viewers, makes the BTN worth more money than God. I did say that. It’s a very powerful instrument for us.”

Uh, what?
05-31-2013 06:12 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: RE: Gordon Gee's comments on conference expansion
(05-31-2013 06:12 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(05-31-2013 04:18 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  [The addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten] gives us 40 to 50 million more viewers, makes the BTN worth more money than God. I did say that. It’s a very powerful instrument for us.”

Uh, what?

I said the same thing. I could see 15 maybe maybe 20 million but thats a lot of new viewers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
05-31-2013 06:42 PM
Advertisement

ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Only way they can get up to that amount is if adding the two gets them into all of NY, CT, NJ, MD, DC, DE, and VA.
05-31-2013 07:20 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
More proof that these administrators aren't as good as us at realignment theorizing.

One of the comments that didnt get quoted was him talking about how in the future Virginia and Duke would be a good pair to do an end around North Carolina with.

Sorry Mr. Gee you are far too late with that realization. Should have read these boards months ago. 03-lmfao[/i]
05-31-2013 07:45 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Gee sounds like he is running a for profit business...really think the greed is opening up the biggest schools to taxation.
05-31-2013 10:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
I think this codger has the symptoms of early Alzheimer's, or he's just an arrogant a$$hole. Either way I think he's signed his own exit order. What an embarrassment this guy must be to Buckeye fans. This is the paradigm of everything that is wrong with CFB today.
05-31-2013 10:29 PM
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
I like the fact Gee mentioned Cincinnati. We would never let them in the Big Ten. At least the Big 10 was not only thinking about us, we may have been on the table like Pitt and Penn State discussion. OSU is only one vote. We know Ohio State does not want us and we know they can decide that alone, but at the same token, our school was mentioned and not in a negative way. OSU officials may not always feel this way. President Ono tweeted the other day that Gee called and offered an apology over the incident.
06-01-2013 06:41 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline

(05-31-2013 07:45 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  More proof that these administrators aren't as good as us at realignment theorizing.

One of the comments that didnt get quoted was him talking about how in the future Virginia and Duke would be a good pair to do an end around North Carolina with.

Sorry Mr. Gee you are far too late with that realization. Should have read these boards months ago. 03-lmfao[/i]

fwiw, he made these comments in December.
06-01-2013 08:20 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline

(06-01-2013 06:41 AM)Vewb1 Wrote:  I like the fact Gee mentioned Cincinnati. We would never let them in the Big Ten. At least the Big 10 was not only thinking about us, we may have been on the table like Pitt and Penn State discussion. OSU is only one vote. We know Ohio State does not want us and we know they can decide that alone, but at the same token, our school was mentioned and not in a negative way. OSU officials may not always feel this way. President Ono tweeted the other day that Gee called and offered an apology over the incident.

Growing up, I always thought that the best schools for the Big 10 to add that were similar culturally were Missouri, Cincinnati, Nebraska, Kansas, and Pitt. In that order. Looks like Gee agrees with me, but mistakenly thinks that it will hurt OSU and PSU if they do so. You know, like how Michigan was hurt when MSU was added and half their fans switched... wait a minute, that didn't happen...
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 08:28 AM by Captain Bearcat.)
06-01-2013 08:25 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I know this is going to shock everyone but the lying Paternos publicly swore up and down for years that they were fighting like hell for Pitt to get into the Big Ten if it were to ever expand. Then, after Nebraska, they said, "What could we do, we were outvoted?" Then, after Rutgers and Maryland went to the B1G, Jay Paterno wrote an editorial for the Centre Daily Times (yes those people even wrote for the local newspapers to help control the message up there) in which he said, "Alas, Pitt/Penn State will never happen even though we fought like hell for Pitt to get into the Big Ten for years."

Tell me why on earth Gee would lie about them "abhorring" Pitt?

It doesn't matter because we are thrilled to have landed where we did but it's just example 2,567 of the Paterno's having always been BLATANT and SHAMELESS liars. Anyone who believes anything that comes out of any of their mouths is a gullible rube who gets what he/she deserves.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 09:34 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
06-01-2013 09:32 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Sounds like Gee is on that Woody Hayes slippery slope.
06-01-2013 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.