Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston watch party on Rice campus!
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
Houston watch party on Rice campus!
HOUSTON WATCH PARTY

All Rice fans are invited to a watch party for the Rice games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (but not Monday) at the McMurtry College commons on the Rice campus. Soft drinks and water provided. Fans are welcome to bring their own food and drinks, and grills are available in the college quad. The game will be shown on McMurtry's giant screen. To get to McMurtry, take Entrance 1 from Main St or Entrance 23 from Rice Blvd; park in the Lovett Hall visitor lot or near Abercrombie Lab.

If any questions, contact me by PM or gwebb@alumni.rice.edu
05-29-2013 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceDad Offline
1st String

I Root For:
DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Houston watch party on Rice campus!
(05-29-2013 01:19 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  HOUSTON WATCH PARTY

All Rice fans are invited to a watch party for the Rice games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (but not Monday) at the McMurtry College commons on the Rice campus. Soft drinks and water provided. Fans are welcome to bring their own food and drinks, and grills are available in the college quad. The game will be shown on McMurtry's giant screen. To get to McMurtry, take Entrance 1 from Main St or Entrance 23 from Rice Blvd; park in the Lovett Hall visitor lot or near Abercrombie Lab.

Does that include adult beverages?
05-29-2013 01:37 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(05-29-2013 01:37 PM)RiceDad Wrote:  

Does that include adult beverages?

The clause in bold most certainly does!
05-29-2013 01:59 PM
Advertisement

Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
SIGH ... if only EMMIESIX were still a power at Valhalla. She'd have it open with the games on big screens 03-weeping
05-29-2013 02:08 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

About 35 people were there for Friday's game -- perhaps even more this evening. Go Owls!
06-01-2013 07:26 AM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

Another good turnout for the Houston watch party!
We will reconvene at McMurtry College for Sunday's game. All Rice fans are welcome! Oddly enough, you might want to bring a sweater, as it gets pretty chilly in the commons. And if you don't have dinner plans, bring some burgers and grill them out in the McMurtry quad.

As a reminder, McMurtry College is building 49 on the campus map:
http://www.rice.edu/maps/maps.html
To get there, take Entrance 1 from Main St and park in the Lovett Hall visitors lot (Lot L), or take Entrance 23 from Rice Blvd and park near Abercrombie Lab (Lot C).
06-02-2013 01:01 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

Great turnout Sunday night at the watch party -- over 40 people! And some delicious burgers and sausage on the grill.

Particular honors go to two hard-working Rice staff members:
- Rick Mello, senior associate athletic director, for getting the ESPN3 blackout fiasco fixed. As soon as we saw the blackout notice, Rick was on the phone to his NCAA contact, who then got on the phone to ESPN headquarters, and soon it was fixed. Others may have been rattling the cages as well, but Rick certainly knew who to call.
- Veronica Boorom, operations manager in Housing & Dining, who graciously facilitated our use of the McMurtry commons, and who came in on Sunday to make sure everything was going all right.

Thanks also to the members of McMurtry College for having us as their guests.

Finally, perhaps the nicest part of this whole process was this email that I received from someone who is close to the team, and is with them in Eugene right now:

Quote:Just wanted to say thank you to you for organizing the watch parties. The boys here know they have a big fan base following them in Houston and it means a lot! Go Owls!!

As indicated from the outset, I personally cannot organize anything for tonight. But other folks are working on it this morning. As soon as the details are confirmed, someone will post them here.
06-03-2013 11:03 AM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(06-03-2013 11:03 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  As indicated from the outset, I personally cannot organize anything for tonight. But other folks are working on it this morning. As soon as the details are confirmed, someone will post them here.

Update: plans for tonight appear to be coming together. Check this space after lunch!
06-03-2013 11:53 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(06-03-2013 11:53 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  Update: plans for tonight appear to be coming together. Check this space after lunch!

It's official: we are convening back at McMurtry College tonight. Many thanks to Rick Mello and Veronica Boorom at Rice for making this happen. Come one, come all! Go Owls!

To repeat a few reminders from the weekend:
- You might want to bring a sweater, as it gets pretty chilly in the commons.
- If you don't have dinner plans, bring some burgers and grill them out in the McMurtry quad.
- McMurtry College is building 49 on the campus map:
http://www.rice.edu/maps/maps.html
To get there, take Entrance 1 from Main St and park in the Lovett Hall visitors lot (Lot L), or take Entrance 23 from Rice Blvd and park near Abercrombie Lab (Lot C).
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 03:44 PM by georgewebb.)
06-03-2013 03:20 PM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

All is up and running at McMurtry to watch the regional final on the giant screen -- Go Owls!
06-03-2013 07:25 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
Glad to be with the group!
06-03-2013 07:58 PM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
My thanks to George, Jimmy C, Rick Mello and the folks @McMurtrey for all that Rice Hospitality. Fun times indeed.02-13-banana
06-03-2013 11:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.