Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rutgers' new athletic director faces fresh questions about her past
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
Rutgers' new athletic director faces fresh questions about her past
Sixteen years ago, members of the University of Tennessee women's volleyball team gathered for a last meeting with their head coach, Julie Hermann. In gym shorts or jeans, some piled onto a black leather couch. Others sat on the floor, cross-legged, almost breathless.

Many of them remember Hermann standing over them, as she had at hundreds of practices and matches. For several minutes, as the players recall, she said nothing.

The players say everyone, including the athletic director, had been brought together by a letter all 15 players on the team had submitted. In it, the players said, their coach had ruled through humiliation, fear and emotional abuse.

"The mental cruelty that we as a team have suffered is unbearable," the players wrote. Specifically, they said the coach had called them "whores, alcoholics and learning disabled."

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...cart_river
05-26-2013 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: Rutgers' new athletic director faces fresh questions about her past
I suppose that Rutgers feels that as long as she didn't call her players "nappy headed 'hos," then it's OK.
05-26-2013 01:44 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
The athletic situation keeps going from bad to worse.

Fire the AD making him the scapegoat for the presidents cover up and the poor decisions of the Rutgers legal department in the basketball abuse scandal.

Hire a new basketball coach with out a college degree which is totally against the job requirement and university policy.

Hire an abusive ex- coach for the new AD.

When is Rutgers going to get rid of the clown heading the insane asylum making all of these stupid irrational decisions. This PHD academic clown just keeps throwing more water on a grease fire filled with cover up after cover up. Who is the Rutgers president going to blame next for his own stupidity, rash and irrational decision making, and ineptitude. Tom P. I'm glad your free and walking with the settlement you received. Working for that irrational clown president must have really gotten you down.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 02:55 AM by panite.)
05-26-2013 02:54 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
I blame the search firm. They don't seem to be producing candidates that are properly vetted for these positions.
05-26-2013 07:29 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Great hire. 05-duck
05-26-2013 07:42 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-26-2013 01:44 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  I suppose that Rutgers feels that as long as she didn't call her players "nappy headed 'hos," then it's OK.

Actually she probably did:

"In the letter submitted by all 15 team members, the players said Hermann called them "whores, alcoholics and learning disabled.""

http://espn.go.com/new-york/college-spor...ons-report
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 07:45 AM by PirateMarv.)
05-26-2013 07:44 AM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Oh, and I love the Ronald Reagan defense she's using. "I don't remember that," doesn't fly unless you're senile.

Not remembering paying $150K to settle a discrimination case? Not remembering that you were at (let alone a bridesmaid) in a wedding?

It's too much.
05-26-2013 07:48 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
My god, I was able to look past a coach acting crazy because they got rid of him as soon as it came out. This though....what kind of a bonehead goes through that experience about Rice AND THEN hires a new AD that acted similarly and wont even admit that any of it happened DESPITE it being very very public?

Seriously, WTF Rutgers? This isn't going out to the Rutgers fans here as I am sure you are thinking the same thing as the rest of us while on the outside looking in. This is just unbelieveable.
05-26-2013 08:34 AM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
This is just a comedy of errors at this point. The search firm and quite possibly the president have a lot to answer.
05-26-2013 08:57 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(05-26-2013 08:34 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  My god, I was able to look past a coach acting crazy because they got rid of him as soon as it came out. This though....what kind of a bonehead goes through that experience about Rice AND THEN hires a new AD that acted similarly and wont even admit that any of it happened DESPITE it being very very public?

Seriously, WTF Rutgers? This isn't going out to the Rutgers fans here as I am sure you are thinking the same thing as the rest of us while on the outside looking in. This is just unbelieveable.

You hit that right on the head. Rimshot 04-jawdrop 03-banghead 03-nutkick 05-mafia 07-coffee3
05-26-2013 09:12 AM
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
Wow, that's crazy to read but honestly...that stuff was nearly 20 years ago. People change. It's kinda ****** for them to bring it up after all these years too IMO. The line that they feared she was going to reach into their lives today and ruin them is a bit dramatic too. What power does a Rutgers AD have over UT students that graduated over 20 years ago? It's not like she just got elected POTUS. lol

women... 03-lmfao
05-26-2013 09:40 AM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(05-26-2013 09:40 AM)krux Wrote:  Wow, that's crazy to read but honestly...that stuff was nearly 20 years ago. People change. It's kinda ****** for them to bring it up after all these years too IMO. The line that they feared she was going to reach into their lives today and ruin them is a bit dramatic too. What power does a Rutgers AD have over UT students that graduated over 20 years ago? It's not like she just got elected POTUS. lol

women... 03-lmfao

Not trying to say that the lady should never again be hired or shouldnt have an opportunity to be an AD at a school. I do believe that people should be allowed an opportunity to show they have learned from their mistakes But this is an extreme situation. Rutgers shouldn't have hired her due to their particular situation, in my opinion.

Now had they come out after this all came out and said that her past has given her experience to learn from and can see such behavior where other AD potentials wouldn't be able to. That isn't what is being said though, instead she is categorically denying that any of this ever happened and she is doing it with some pretty poorly put together "statements".

It is a clusterphuck.
05-26-2013 09:57 AM
SeaBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan
For possible legal complications, can you fire the new AD now without also firing the new basketball coach? Or would that make the legal situation worse?
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 10:09 AM by SeaBlue.)
05-26-2013 10:07 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
With all the drama going on with Rutgers athletic programs, the B1G may be regretting their decision to invite them...

IMO Rutgers needs to clean house, starting with the President, then the new AD and basketball coach. The President's decisions of late make him look like a moron, and all the bad publicity isn't helping him look any better...
05-26-2013 10:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
I want to congratulate the Louisville athletic department on dumping this problem child on Rutgers

well played
05-26-2013 11:50 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Is Rutgers aiming for some kind of world record for consecutive poor decisions?
05-26-2013 11:57 AM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
i think this is a non story. Unless the girls really were whores, alcoholics or mentally challenged why are they so offended? Way to sensitive. This country needs to toughen up
05-26-2013 12:51 PM
krux Offline
Banned

(05-26-2013 11:50 AM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  I want to congratulate the Louisville athletic department on dumping this problem child on Rutgers

well played

I dunno, people seemed to like Julie around here. I would bet, if she were to get fired, Jurich would bring her back even if just temporarily.
05-26-2013 03:02 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(05-26-2013 12:51 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  i think this is a non story. Unless the girls really were whores, alcoholics or mentally challenged why are they so offended? Way to sensitive. This country needs to toughen up
IMO the freedom of speech should come with the freedom to get your @ss kicked when you intentionally offend someone. I don't think the country is too sensitive. I think the nation is too stupid to know what civil behavior is, and actually rewards those who are unable to act civil...

We cheer when people insult others without reason, and then compound the problem by jumping on the bandwagon. We belittle people, preferring to tear them down to make ourselves feel better, instead of working together to improve everyone's lives...

Screw that. People need to grow up and learn how to act right. If you're unable to do that, then stupidity should be a punishable offense...
05-26-2013 03:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

(05-26-2013 03:02 PM)krux Wrote:  
(05-26-2013 11:50 AM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  I want to congratulate the Louisville athletic department on dumping this problem child on Rutgers

well played

I dunno, people seemed to like Julie around here. I would bet, if she were to get fired, Jurich would bring her back even if just temporarily.

I'm wondering how she got on our payroll in the first place.
05-26-2013 03:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.