Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SoCon Status
Bookmark and Share
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
SoCon Status
Still waiting on the official word, which should be within the next few days.

With Mercer, ETSU, and VMI added to the SoCon, that will bring the conference up to 10 members.

I'd personally like to see Coastal Carolina added as #11. After that I think Kennesaw State would be a good addition if the SoCon wants 12 teams. Especially with the KSU/Mercer rivalry building in basketball.

Coastal is the only school from the Big South I'd want to see added. I think they stand out in that conference.

We'll get a lot of information in the coming weeks.
05-24-2013 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
RE: SoCon Status
I don't think two additional football schools will be added. You can't play 10 conference games. Maybe one more football school, or just two basketball schools, or none at all.
05-24-2013 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Good point. Then I'd have to rethink the situation. Will be interesting to see if they are content with 10 teams or not. Regardless, I just want to see quality additions. Coastal would stand out for the next team in line to me.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 01:07 PM by MercerFan.)
05-24-2013 01:07 PM
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
I'm with you 100%. Coastal just makes too much sense. Established football program. New basketball facility. Great destination.
05-24-2013 01:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Cats Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WCU
(05-24-2013 01:33 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  I'm with you 100%. Coastal just makes too much sense. Established football program. New basketball facility. Great destination.

The Citadel, Furman, and Wofford are all against the addition of CCU. Were that not the case, I think the first offer would have gone to Coastal.

The South Carolina schools don't want an additional SC school in the conference for football, they don't want the serious competition that CCU would bring within the conference, and they also think it's weak academically. At this point, I don't think CCU could get votes needs for an invite. Maybe after the three new schools are added, if they support CCU, it might then be possible, but at the risk of alienating the three SC schools, who then might go looking for a new home - they are that set against CCU.
05-26-2013 02:33 PM
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
I don't want to add a school unless it's unanimous... so it sounds like they are out then
05-26-2013 06:41 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Yeah let's not try go get better as a conference. Great idea. pfft
05-27-2013 09:09 PM
Advertisement

midline Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: etsu
(05-27-2013 09:09 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Yeah let's not try go get better as a conference. Great idea. pfft

Very true. Bottom line is that the Furmans, Woffords, and Samfords, are hiding behind the "higher level of education" line when making sure that Coastal, and Kennesaw St do not get in. Let's face it. VMI has never been good, and never will be. A program that is a guaranteed win in most sports for the remaining members. Now ETSU, and Mercer, will be fine additions in most sports, but both will be years before they are competitive in football. In truth the schools that are flapping their lips about academic integrity, are doing nothing more than trying to improve their win/loss without having to actually improve on the field. But Coastal, and Kennesaw, scare them to death. Coastal has played Furman four times over the last few years. Coastal has won three times. Kennesaw would have more football potential than any other new program if they handle things correctly. I think the elite schools don't want another potential App ST, or GSU, in the mix. They are much happier to appear to be better while having a much weaker conference. The odd part about it, is if they are so hung up on academic requirements, why have they not lobbied to have WCU, and UTC, kicked out of the conference. Neither schools is anywhere near being considered for the Ivy League. The SoCon currently, is not concerned with the ability to be as relevant in the future in football as they have been in the past.

As far as the Mercer situation, you know this has to be a nightmare for Bobby Lamb. He was expecting to ease into things with a new start after being run at Furman. Not sure what Mercers current stance is on funding scholarships for the football program, but they better get busy or it will get real ugly, real quick, and all of the energy for the new football program will evaporate quickly. But Bobby is a good coach. He got jobbed at Furman. There were some things Furman needed to do to get back to being competitive. Surprisingly, they are now doing some of the very things he requested. But when the old alumni got itchy feet, he paid the price. Even though they laid all the problems at his feet, they haven't improved since her left, and won't this year.
05-29-2013 11:09 AM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
(05-29-2013 11:09 AM)midline Wrote:  Not sure what Mercers current stance is on funding scholarships for the football program, but they better get busy or it will get real ugly, real quick, and all of the energy for the new football program will evaporate quickly.

Not sure where you're going with that? Anyways, the SoCon commissioner indirectly said that Mercer is going scholarship. Check my other post on it. Regardless, I think Lamb has been ready for this transition..possibly since the 1st day he was hired. The energy will not evaporte. Football in the south is a way of life. He may need a few years to get a winning program, but it will get there.
05-29-2013 07:42 PM
chattanoogamocs Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: team you hate
The CCU thing is more than just privates being against them. A number of conference reps are concerned about what many consider "short cuts" in their athletics program in regards to recruiting, etc.

One thing working against KSU is that too many SoCon reps think they will want to jump to FBS (ala GA State) and would only use the SoCon as a stepping stone.

Welcome to the SoCon! The majority of Moc fans supported your invitation. We have been impressed by your commitment to improve your entire athletics program (which has already paid off in basketball) and no doubt will pay off in football too.

Drop by http://www.mocfans.com. We are a pretty friendly lot as long as the discussion isn't trash talk.
05-30-2013 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.