Open TigerLinks

Wolken Article - Memphis: A Basketball Haven in a Football Region
Bookmark and Share
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Wolken Article - Memphis: A Basketball Haven in a Football Region
Wolken wrote a terrific article about the importance of basketball at all levels (high school, college, and pro) in the City of Memphis.

Quote:Here, there is nothing unusual about needing a scalped ticket to squeeze into high school games or for the local university to sell out FedEx Forum (capacity 18,119) on a Wednesday night against a program nobody has heard of.

And here, from the grassroots on up, it is considered a formality that Memphis — a metro area of 1.3 million — will produce more talent every year than cities three times its size, adding to a legacy that began when a team led by local players cracked the national consciousness at the 1973 Final Four.

"I didn't fully understand it," said University of Memphis coach Josh Pastner, who first arrived as an assistant in 2008. "There's no other place in America like it where it's such intense basketball passion and enthusiasm. It's the DNA of the city — the intensity, scrutiny, passion, emotional investment from all levels. It's just special."

Click Here for the Rest
05-23-2013 10:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Wolken Article - Memphis: A Basketball Haven in a Football Region
no doubt, we are a basketball city.
05-23-2013 10:21 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Great article...
05-23-2013 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMark Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Some national respect for something we've known a long time. Aren't too many cities that will put 35,000 fans through an arena for a college/pro doubleheader. I'm especially proud of the way the Memphis high schools dominate the largest state division with 13 titles in the last 14 seasons.
Memphis truly is HoopCity.
05-23-2013 10:43 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Great read. But I would take issue with one minor point. Being old now and around then, Memphis BB didn't start in 1973. Rather, it started in 1952, with the enrollment of Forrest Arnold, followed soon by Win Wilfong, Orby Arnold and a host of others, including several from Paxico (sp?), MO.

Both Dean Ehlers and Bob Vanatta had great teams that were ranked and nationally prominent, and Vanatta got to the finals of the NIT, when the NCAA had only 25 entrants who were conference champs, IIRC.

And Wilfong was drafted as the 6th overall choice in the 1st round of the NBA draft in 1957 or '58, I think. Then Mike Butler, a phenom from Kingsbury who played 4 years in the ABA, arrived in '64. Unfortunately, Moe Iba temporarily ruined BB, but the program was already established enough not to fail.

As my age group slowly dies off, I think it's important to remember the contribution of those early players and coaches. And Jack Eaton, too. Just a thought.

But kudos to Wolken for a really great story.
05-24-2013 05:27 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Great read. But I would take issue with one minor point. Being old now and around then, Memphis BB didn't start in 1973. Rather, it started in 1952, with the enrollment of Forrest Arnold, followed soon by Win Wilfong, Orby Arnold and a host of others, including several from Paxico (sp?), MO.

Both Dean Ehlers and Bob Vanatta had great teams that were ranked and nationally prominent, and Vanatta got to the finals of the NIT, when the NCAA had only 25 entrants who were conference champs, IIRC.

And Wilfong was drafted as the 6th overall choice in the 1st round of the NBA draft in 1957 or '58, I think. Then Mike Butler, a phenom from Kingsbury who played 4 years in the ABA, arrived in '64. Unfortunately, Moe Iba temporarily ruined BB, but the program was already established enough not to fail.

As my age group slowly dies off, I think it's important to remember the contribution of those early players and coaches. And Jack Eaton, too. Just a thought.

05-24-2013 06:01 AM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(05-24-2013 05:27 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Great read. But I would take issue with one minor point. Being old now and around then, Memphis BB didn't start in 1973. Rather, it started in 1952, with the enrollment of Forrest Arnold, followed soon by Win Wilfong, Orby Arnold and a host of others, including several from Paxico (sp?), MO.

Exactly.

Puxico. I believe that Kenny Andrews, the Buffalo, was the last of the Puxico players.

I appreciate Dan taking the time to highlight the passion and love that a relatively large % of the city's population has for the game. Conversations around Treadwell/Kingsbuy/Overton or Melrose/Northside games could get as passionate as Alabama/Auburn in other parts of the country.
05-24-2013 07:01 AM
TigerPat Away
All American

I moved here in 1978 and immediately was taken by the local college team, dislike of Ole Miss and UT, etc. Through the past 35 years, the ONE thing that unites this city is basketball. Before the Griz, it was U of Memphis.....but it is basketball, basketball.....and more basketball. The average Memphian knows more, and can speak pretty intelligently than anyplace I have visited in this country and I have been around.
March is magic in this town and I love it. Battles with Louisville, UAB, Cinncinati or, now with the Griz, San Antonio or LA, will dominate following day discussions. Why? Cuz people care!

If they didn't care, well.....they do care..... and so strong opinions are voiced. Some, without regard to who might be reading them. This, I'm, afraid, has become too commonplace here, on this board. It is discourteous and, dang it, rude behavior and should NOT be acceptable. But, I digress.......

Memphis basketball is important and part of the fabric of this city, like barbeque (pork, NOT beef, is the only real BBQ!), like Elvis, fried baloney and Jerry Lee Lewis, like Beale Street. I love it here.
05-24-2013 07:11 AM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(05-24-2013 06:01 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Great read. But I would take issue with one minor point. Being old now and around then, Memphis BB didn't start in 1973. Rather, it started in 1952, with the enrollment of Forrest Arnold, followed soon by Win Wilfong, Orby Arnold and a host of others, including several from Paxico (sp?), MO.

Triple A, there are still a few of us who remember the city coming to a standstill during the 1957 NIT championship game.
05-24-2013 07:51 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-24-2013 07:51 AM)dan o Wrote:  
(05-24-2013 06:01 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Great read. But I would take issue with one minor point. Being old now and around then, Memphis BB didn't start in 1973. Rather, it started in 1952, with the enrollment of Forrest Arnold, followed soon by Win Wilfong, Orby Arnold and a host of others, including several from Paxico (sp?), MO.

Triple A, there are still a few of us who remember the city coming to a standstill during the 1957 NIT championship game.

Yep. Just as big as the later NCAA F4 visits, IMO. I recall watching both the semis and finals on TV with my parents (I was 10 and a die-hard, game-attending fan for 5 years by then). I'm still mad at the refs for screwing us out of that NIT championship.
05-24-2013 07:58 AM
olegus Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
I remember watching those games with my family. I can't recall much of the games but I do remember how excited my mother was during them. she was a true blue tiger fan from that time on and watched all the games as long as she was alive.
05-24-2013 08:08 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(05-24-2013 05:27 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Great read. But I would take issue with one minor point. Being old now and around then, Memphis BB didn't start in 1973. Rather, it started in 1952, with the enrollment of Forrest Arnold, followed soon by Win Wilfong, Orby Arnold and a host of others, including several from Paxico (sp?), MO.

I think he was referring to Hank McDowell's quote. And the fact that the city embraced two black kids from Orange Mound. Those 1950s stars were from Missouri.
05-24-2013 08:11 AM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2013 07:58 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(05-24-2013 07:51 AM)dan o Wrote:  

Yep. Just as big as the later NCAA F4 visits, IMO. I recall watching both the semis and finals on TV with my parents (I was 10 and a die-hard, game-attending fan for 5 years by then). I'm still mad at the refs for screwing us out of that NIT championship.
Terrible way to end a great game.

As a result of that game, Bradley is right up there with UTK and Louisville on my "Most Wanted" to defeat list.
05-24-2013 08:12 AM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2013 08:11 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

I think he was referring to Hank McDowell's quote. And the fact that the city embraced two black kids from Orange Mound. Those 1950s stars were from Missouri.

Just my opinion, but I think the Finch years are just about as far back as most fans can personally remember. And that includes Wolken.

It won't be many years before Derrick Rose and the Laurinburg group will be the oldest memory of many fans.

Human nature.
05-24-2013 08:16 AM
missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies
GREAT job Dan !! 04-bow
05-24-2013 08:16 AM
Hoopla Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
There is just something about Memphis that makes you fall in love with her. Passionately. You don't have to be a Memphis State or University of Memphis alumnus to be a true blue Tigers fan.
05-24-2013 08:22 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame

I agree with all that, and started to clarify it, but didn't want to type that much more. However, Wolken made it clear with some wording near the beginning, that he was writing about Memphis as a basketball city that captured the imagination of the entire area.

Thus my contention that, while he made those references you cited that were specific to Orange Mound, etc. it gives people who weren't alive or around then the distinct impression that Memphis as a basketball city began then, when it most certainly began 20+ years sooner, at least. I know that for a fact. I lived it. It unified the city and did all those other things attributed to 1973. And the article ignores the contribution of those earlier players to the city's BB lore, regardless of where they were from.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 08:31 AM by TripleA.)
05-24-2013 08:28 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-23-2013 10:43 PM)UofMark Wrote:  Some national respect for something we've known a long time. Aren't too many cities that will put 35,000 fans through an arena for a college/pro doubleheader. I'm especially proud of the way the Memphis high schools dominate the largest state division with 13 titles in the last 14 seasons.
Memphis truly is HoopCity.

I agree with the subject matter, but are you insinuating that Wolken has a national following?
05-24-2013 08:34 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2013 08:28 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

I agree with all that, and started to clarify it, but didn't want to type that much more. However, Wolken made it clear with some wording near the beginning, that he was writing about Memphis as a basketball city that captured the imagination of the entire area.

Thus my contention that, while he made those references you cited that were specific to Orange Mound, etc. it gives people who weren't alive or around then the distinct impression that Memphis as a basketball city began then, when it most certainly began 20+ years sooner, at least. I know that for a fact. I lived it. It unified the city and did all those other things attributed to 1973. And the article ignores the contribution of those earlier players to the city's BB lore, regardless of where they were from.

With all of the above being true I think what clarified, for me, how big basketball is in Memphis was attending those Bluff City Classic games back in the 80's. Amazing turnouts and incredible basketball.

And there was that Russia versus Memphis All Star game at White Station.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 08:36 AM by Tiger46.)
05-24-2013 08:36 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If I were Pastner I'd have this article folded under my arm where ever I went recruiting. Great recruiting tool. Oh, and great article.
05-24-2013 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.