Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Owls @ Aggies ticket policy
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
Owls @ Aggies ticket policy
I looked up to see if I could get some tickets for the season opener in 100 days. I was stunned to see that to buy 2 tickets I would need to donate $1000 to the Owl Club. Has this been the case for other road games? Will I get squeezed out for Notre Dame tickets next year too?

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/rice/graphi...cevsam.jpg
05-21-2013 03:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Owls @ Aggies ticket policy
As far as I know, this hasn't been the case for other road games. I question whether it will be the case for the Notre Dame game (if we still have it) because of the trip length difference.

My guess: We have a limited quantity of tickets and think there will be high demand. Therefore, they put the donation on it. Other schools do it for premium games.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2013 04:14 PM by d1owls4life.)
05-21-2013 04:13 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-21-2013 03:56 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  I looked up to see if I could get some tickets for the season opener in 100 days. I was stunned to see that to buy 2 tickets I would need to donate $1000 to the Owl Club. Has this been the case for other road games? Will I get squeezed out for Notre Dame tickets next year too?

There has always been a donation amount attached to tickets like CWS. Most of the time there wasn't a figure mentioned but there was a pecking order with season ticket holders and the higher level of Owl Club level given first chance at tickets.

And there are donation levels attached to box seats at HRS, Reckling, Tudor as well.

And yes I imagine ND tickets will be the same thing...after all ND and A&M can sell all the tickets they want and only have to give the bare minimum to Rice. You actually will get better tickets (but pay more) through Stubhub or other secondary ticket agencies.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2013 04:15 PM by Tiki Owl.)
05-21-2013 04:13 PM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

(05-21-2013 03:56 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  I looked up to see if I could get some tickets for the season opener in 100 days. I was stunned to see that to buy 2 tickets I would need to donate $1000 to the Owl Club. Has this been the case for other road games? Will I get squeezed out for Notre Dame tickets next year too?

Also, why does an Ohio State player have the ball in the poster?
05-21-2013 04:34 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(05-21-2013 04:34 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

Pretty sure that is a program cover shot from a previous Rice/A&M game.
05-21-2013 04:49 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(05-21-2013 04:49 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 04:34 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

Pretty sure that is a program cover shot from a previous Rice/A&M game.

Per the helmet project, 1978 was the only year aTm had stripes on the helmet, although it says they had 2 stripes for all games except against UT and I-State. They also had the aTm on the side

[Image: Texas_AM_OLD2.gif]

Source: http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/sec.htm
05-21-2013 05:17 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
The program image looks like November 1x (going by the number of letters in the date).

That would probably date it to 1948-50-52-54-56, where TAMU used blank white helmets. It's conceivable that they may have had a stripe in there at one point.

http://www.collegefootball.bz/texas-am/opponents/rice

[Image: ricevsam.jpg]
05-21-2013 06:59 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Many programs from that era featured generic artwork not specifically meant to represent either team. Graphics were not what they are in today's Photoshop era. I think this is one of those generic covers, not meant to represent any team. And should that fail, remember that this is from a game at Kyle Field, so it would have been Aggies doing this.
05-21-2013 07:06 PM
75src Offline
All American

It would definitely be in November since always played them a week and half before Thanksgiving in the SWC. I tried to figure out the date which looked like 1968 when A&M moved it half of the series back to Kyle Field. The other possibilites would have to be 1956 or earlier. A&M and Rice have never had uniforms looking like that. However, the maroon on the uniforms has become much lighter than the official school maroon just like our official blue is not navy and the gray is diffferent. The official colors for schools is on the Wiki page for the universities along with the Pantome numbers.

The Rice allotment for the game will probably be something section 100 which is the worst seats in the place-on the south west end way beyound the end line but still facing north-south. I will probably go to the secondary market for tickets. I can get along being surrounded by Aggies since I went to grad school there.

(05-21-2013 06:59 PM)I45owl Wrote:  The program image looks like November 1x (going by the number of letters in the date).

That would probably date it to 1948-50-52-54-56, where TAMU used blank white helmets. It's conceivable that they may have had a stripe in there at one point.

http://www.collegefootball.bz/texas-am/opponents/rice

[Image: ricevsam.jpg]
05-22-2013 12:37 PM
BSWBRice Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice University
I might be slow, but does this mean that in order to get tickets in the "Rice" section, I need to make a donation of at least $1000? Is there any chance a few might trickle down to the plebians for whom that amount is a little on the steep side?
05-22-2013 06:03 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-22-2013 06:03 PM)BSWBRice Wrote:  I might be slow, but does this mean that in order to get tickets in the "Rice" section, I need to make a donation of at least $1000? Is there any chance a few might trickle down to the plebians for whom that amount is a little on the steep side?

Well if you thought you would win the lottery the other day then I think you might believe there will be extra tickets. As your donation level goes up so does the number of tickets that you can buy. The CWS is done the same way.

Best option if you really want to go is the secondary market.
05-23-2013 08:08 AM
Advertisement

JOwl Offline
sum guy

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-21-2013 07:06 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Many programs from that era featured generic artwork not specifically meant to represent either team. Graphics were not what they are in today's Photoshop era. I think this is one of those generic covers, not meant to represent any team. And should that fail, remember that this is from a game at Kyle Field, so it would have been Aggies doing this.

I think you nailed it, 69.

I used TinEye (http://www.tineye.com) to see if I could find an image matching the original Rice/A&M poster, but it came up with this:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images...osters.jpg
[Image: 0002-9679-4~Pittsburgh-vs-Indiana-1952-Posters.jpg]
05-23-2013 10:18 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

JOwl - I think that was a premonition that Greenspan would relocate from Indiana to Rice 05-stirthepot
05-23-2013 10:33 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(05-22-2013 06:03 PM)BSWBRice Wrote:  I might be slow, but does this mean that in order to get tickets in the "Rice" section, I need to make a donation of at least $1000?

Funny thing about scarce resources -- they have to be rationed somehow. Price is a pretty efficient way to do it.* in this case, price is EXTREMELY efficient (in the sense of approaching optimal) from our point of view, as the premium stemming from the scarcity is going to the benefit of Rice, rather than the benefit of the home team or the event promoter, or a ticket broker, or some other entity.

*Admittedly, not the only way. Some alternatives are:
- Ration by time investment -- i.e., make people queue up in a parking lot.
- Ration by some prior classification -- e.g. alumni prioritized by class year.

These might work if the tickets were non-transferable and we could make it hard for the original buyers to re-sell them to Aggies, but as a practical matter we can't. In contrast, a price premium DOES limit re-selling, which is good; and since in this case it is Rice that captures the premium, even better.

In fact, if Rice were not making any effort to capture this premium for itself, and instead letting it be captured by ticket re-sellers, I suspect that most of us would consider it a colossal blunder.
05-23-2013 10:49 AM
BSWBRice Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice University
Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone know what the difference is between this game and our recent games at UT? I was always able to get "Rice" tickets to those games relatively easily. Did A&M just not give us the same number of seats?
05-23-2013 11:03 AM
75src Offline
All American

The seats that A&M will probably assign us (my guess in Section 100) are probably worse for actually seeing the game than watching it on the wall size television at the Williams Former Student Center on their campus. I wonder if the game will be picked up on television.
05-23-2013 11:37 AM
Advertisement

Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
(05-21-2013 04:13 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

There has always been a donation amount attached to tickets like CWS. Most of the time there wasn't a figure mentioned but there was a pecking order with season ticket holders and the higher level of Owl Club level given first chance at tickets.

And there are donation levels attached to box seats at HRS, Reckling, Tudor as well.

And yes I imagine ND tickets will be the same thing...after all ND and A&M can sell all the tickets they want and only have to give the bare minimum to Rice. You actually will get better tickets (but pay more) through Stubhub or other secondary ticket agencies.

You're right. Don't go through the Owls ticket office for the A&M game. Order through the A&M ticket office or StubHub. Maybe even Ticketmaster. You won't be sitting with other Rice fans unless you all order as a block, but you'll be at the game.
05-23-2013 12:40 PM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

yeah, I've discovered that. I need six and my allotment won't get anwhere near what I need
05-23-2013 01:48 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(05-21-2013 04:13 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  As far as I know, this hasn't been the case for other road games. I question whether it will be the case for the Notre Dame game (if we still have it) because of the trip length difference.

This site still shows Rice on the 2014 Notre Dame schedule with the game on August 30. However, Notre Dame still has nine opponents scheduled (Arizona State has been dropped) and four ACC teams to schedule, so one more game needs to go. I'm guessing one of the Owls (at Temple or our game in South Bend).

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/indep...hedule.php
05-23-2013 06:06 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(05-23-2013 06:06 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 04:13 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  As far as I know, this hasn't been the case for other road games. I question whether it will be the case for the Notre Dame game (if we still have it) because of the trip length difference.

This site still shows Rice on the 2014 Notre Dame schedule with the game on August 30. However, Notre Dame still has nine opponents scheduled (Arizona State has been dropped) and four ACC teams to schedule, so one more game needs to go. I'm guessing one of the Owls (at Temple or our game in South Bend).

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/indep...hedule.php

Yeah, that's what I was basing that comment on. I wouldn't be shocked if we get paid off so that they can fit their ACC games in.
05-23-2013 09:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.