Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chicago Tribune article: Notre Dame and ACC jazzed about partnership
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Chicago Tribune article: Notre Dame and ACC jazzed about partnership
05-17-2013 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: Chicago Tribune article: Notre Dame and ACC jazzed about partnership
(05-17-2013 09:55 AM)TerryD Wrote:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col...4250.story
I am jazzed too... until ND takes an ACC bowl spot. I am about fairness...maybe ND won't even care, or accept a minor bowl bid...
05-17-2013 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
The amount of hand wringing over Notre Dame taking a spot in one of these meaningless exhibition games is ridiculous. If you get into the play offs or the Orange Bowl, Notre Dame cannot "steal" that from you. If you're going to cry your eyes out because your team plays in Music City Bowl because Notre Dame went to the Russell Athletics Bowl, then that's just pathetic.
05-17-2013 10:04 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-17-2013 10:04 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  The amount of hand wringing over Notre Dame taking a spot in one of these meaningless exhibition games is ridiculous. If you get into the play offs or the Orange Bowl, Notre Dame cannot "steal" that from you. If you're going to cry your eyes out because your team plays in Music City Bowl because Notre Dame went to the Russell Athletics Bowl, then that's just pathetic.
Hey dude... the rest of us have no problem with your ACC deal... if Wake comes up 7-5 or 6-6 and ND takes your place we could care less... and call me when you think that is fair...
05-17-2013 10:08 PM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
(05-17-2013 10:08 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-17-2013 10:04 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  The amount of hand wringing over Notre Dame taking a spot in one of these meaningless exhibition games is ridiculous. If you get into the play offs or the Orange Bowl, Notre Dame cannot "steal" that from you. If you're going to cry your eyes out because your team plays in Music City Bowl because Notre Dame went to the Russell Athletics Bowl, then that's just pathetic.
Hey dude... the rest of us have no problem with your ACC deal... if Wake comes up 7-5 or 6-6 and ND takes your place we could care less... and call me when you think that is fair...

Not only that, being eligible for an ACC contracted bowl game(provided they don't earn an AQ bid) while only playing 5 ACC games isn't ethical especially when ND earns a AQ bid they share none of that revenue with the ACC despite playing 5 ACC teams while earning that bid. Having your cake and eating it too.
05-17-2013 10:32 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-17-2013 10:32 PM)Poliicious Wrote:  

Not only that, being eligible for an ACC contracted bowl game(provided they don't earn an AQ bid) while only playing 5 ACC games isn't ethical especially when ND earns a AQ bid they share none of that revenue with the ACC despite playing 5 ACC teams while earning that bid. Having your cake and eating it too.

On one hand, when ND takes a lower bowl slot that does hurt ACC teams that get knocked to an even lower bowl, but on the other, having ND in your bowl lineup will allow the ACC to sign a better roster of bowls, so on balance it is a wash.

And when ND plays an ACC team in the Orange Bowl, the ACC is paid $15 million more than when you play a B1G or SEC team, so you come out way ahead thanks to ND.

The ND deal is pure gold for the ACC. Enormous benefits and essentially no costs. Best deal ever.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 11:01 PM by quo vadis.)
05-17-2013 10:57 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-17-2013 10:57 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

On one hand, when ND takes a lower bowl slot that does hurt ACC teams that get knocked to an even lower bowl, but on the other, having ND in your bowl lineup will allow the ACC to sign a better roster of bowls, so on balance it is a wash.

And when ND plays an ACC team in the Orange Bowl, the ACC is paid $15 million more than when you play a B1G or SEC team, so you come out way ahead thanks to ND.

The ND deal is pure gold for the ACC. Enormous benefits and essentially no costs. Best deal ever.
Unless your team gets bounced out of a ACC contract bowl...
05-17-2013 11:05 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

Merit and fairness have nothing to do with who is chosen for those lower bowls. It's based on who makes that bowl the most money. Of course, Wake will get one of the lower picks unless we win the conference and get an automatic bid. Just like Notre Dame will bump FSU and Clemson into another bowl. The revenue from those bowls is shared so it makes no difference which one your team actually plays in.
05-17-2013 11:11 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-17-2013 11:05 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-17-2013 10:57 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Unless your team gets bounced out of a ACC contract bowl...

.... In which case you will make more money than if you played in the bowl because ND was not part of your lineup to take your place. You get to stay at home and count more loot. 04-cheers
05-17-2013 11:18 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

It's not like you would stay home anyway. Some other bowl will be available. When was the last time a team with a winning record from a power conference had to sit at home because there was no bowl available?
05-17-2013 11:22 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-17-2013 11:22 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  It's not like you would stay home anyway. Some other bowl will be available. When was the last time a team with a winning record from a power conference had to sit at home because there was no bowl available?
You will if all the bowls are booked. Just stay at home, cash the check, and see how happy that makes your competitive juices flow...
05-17-2013 11:35 PM
Advertisement

WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

That's incredibly unlikely to happen and even if it did missing out on watching my 6 or 7 win team play in some minor bowl would hardly be the end of the world.
05-17-2013 11:52 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-17-2013 11:52 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  That's incredibly unlikely to happen and even if it did missing out on watching my 6 or 7 win team play in some minor bowl would hardly be the end of the world.
We will remember that you just made this statement. I am sure the ND fans will be happy... I think my work is finished here.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 12:03 AM by USAFMEDIC.)
05-18-2013 12:02 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-18-2013 12:02 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-17-2013 11:52 PM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  That's incredibly unlikely to happen and even if it did missing out on watching my 6 or 7 win team play in some minor bowl would hardly be the end of the world.
We will remember that you just made this statement. I am sure the ND fans will be happy... I think my work is finished here.

I could care less if, or what minor bowl ND plays in.

If it is not a national championship or BCS type bowl, who really cares?
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 12:06 AM by TerryD.)
05-18-2013 12:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(05-17-2013 09:50 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-17-2013 09:55 AM)TerryD Wrote:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col...4250.story
I am jazzed too... until ND takes an ACC bowl spot. I am about fairness...maybe ND won't even care, or accept a minor bowl bid...

[Image: bY5XsDW.gif] Just adding this because we're talking about bowls that really aren't important.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 01:20 AM by domer1978.)
05-18-2013 12:44 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(05-18-2013 12:05 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

I could care less if, or what minor bowl ND plays in.

If it is not a national championship or BCS type bowl, who really cares?
Well there are holiday football games and a chance to travel to a nice game. Everyone loves the game. I realize I am on the wrong side of this issue with you Terry, but I just want the playing field to be equal. That's all. I respect you above all others as a ND fan.
05-18-2013 01:10 AM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn

If it's not ethical, why did the ACC agree to it. It's not like ND made some kind of special deal behind everyone's back and then sprung it on the ACC. 01-wingedeagle
05-18-2013 02:38 AM
Otacon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: West Virginia
I haven't heard the term "jazzed" since A.C Slater coined the word back in 1987.......
05-18-2013 03:22 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-18-2013 03:22 AM)Otacon Wrote:  I haven't heard the term "jazzed" since A.C Slater coined the word back in 1987.......

True. Next they'll say it's groovy.
05-18-2013 06:28 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

... but as "Wake" correctly noted, the odds of an ACC team with even a 7-5 record actually not getting into a bowl game because ND takes a slot is very unlikely. So is it really a big deal that once every seven or so years that instead of the Belk Bowl your team plays in the Music City Bowl? I can't get too excited worrying about that.

The Notre Dame deal is an amazing deal for the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 06:56 AM by quo vadis.)
05-18-2013 06:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.