Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Louisville folks tell me about Julie Hermann
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Louisville folks tell me about Julie Hermann
So what can you tell me about Julie Hermann? She is now going to be the next AD at Rutgers.
05-15-2013 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Louisville folks tell me about Julie Hermann
She's TJ's right hand (wo)man. She's def learned from the best. I'm pretty sure she handled a good portion of our fundraising. You should also have no problems with NCAA compliance.

Another thing, I'm sure you'll be getting a piece of TJ's brain. Our whole athletic staff is very family-like. I'm sure they'll talk frequently and he'll help her if she needs it.
05-15-2013 09:49 AM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

UofL Athletics Site Wrote:Julie Hermann is in her 15th year in athletic administration at UofL, currently serving as Executive Senior Associate Athletic Director.

Hermann's primary responsibilities are supervising 20 sports (women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, field hockey, men's and women's golf, lacrosse, rowing, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's track and field, and volleyball), Student Development, Sports Medicine, Strength and Conditioning, Marketing, Development and the Olga Peers Academic unit, as well as serving as senior woman administrator.

Hermann has served on many community boards, including Frazier Rehab Institute, Metro Parks, Women 4 Women, YMCA, the Louisville Sports Commission, the Kentucky Sports Commission, the Commission on the Status of Women and the Center for Women and Families. She has served on numerous conference committees, the AVCA Hall of Fame selection committee and is the former chair of the NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Committee. She currently serves as president of the National Association of Collegiate Women's Administrators.

Actively involved in the Louisville community, Hermann was named a 2008 Woman of Distinction by the Center for Women and Families, a 2004 Ladies of Leadership award winner from the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, the 2006 Heart of the Community award presented by Women4Women, and in 2008 she received the Mary Kay Bonsteel Tachau Gender Equity Award from UofL.

Prior to joining the UofL staff, she spent one year as an assistant coach for USA Volleyball, helping the National Team to a silver medal finish at the World University Games in 1997. Before joining the National Team, Hermann served as the head women's volleyball coach at the University of Tennessee for six seasons. Under her watch, the Lady Vol volleyball squad improved more than 150 places in the ratings percentage index (RPI) and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in a decade.

Prior to her time at Tennessee, Hermann spent one season at Northern Arizona where she was hired by current UofL AD Tom Jurich. Hermann earned the top post at NAU following two seasons as an assistant at the University of Georgia, where she helped restore the Bulldogs program to national status. Georgia recorded a 70-16 mark in her two seasons and earned a spot in the Top 20.

Hermann opened her collegiate coaching career at Wyoming where she spent two years helping the Cowgirls to the NCAA Tournament and a final eight finish.

As a student-athlete, Hermann was an All-Big Eight volleyball player at the University of Nebraska from 1981-84 as the Huskers won four conference championships, four tournament championships, appeared in four consecutive NCAA Tournaments and earned a pair of top five finishes. She was honored as the FCA College Athlete of the Year and was an FCA national platform speaker.

Source: GoCards.com
05-15-2013 09:49 AM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

If women's basketball was part of her portfolio, people assume that the success it has experienced (2 NCAA championship games in 5 years) is due, at least in part, to her. I've heard that she has, in fact, played a major role in that success.
05-15-2013 09:55 AM
brista21 Offline

Donators
Thanks for the information folks. Sounds like the powers that be made a good hire. Only time will tell if it was the right hire at the right time.

That being said hopefully the ties between Jurich and Hermann lead to us still seeing each other on the gridiron, hardwood and other fields of play once in a while.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 10:16 AM by brista21.)
05-15-2013 10:09 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Great hire. She will be a very active AD at both the University and the community.
05-15-2013 10:24 AM
Advertisement

3d2bcards Offline
Water Engineer

I feel you made a great hire and that Louisville will miss her.
05-15-2013 10:45 AM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

Here's a link to some very interesting quotes about her from Howie Lindsey
Quote:She is a hot-headed, aggressive, tenacious competitor. She wants every sport competing for a conference title all the time. Fair warning: Coaches that aren’t on their game will be hounded by her. She is so incredibly competitive it can be tough to work around when things aren’t going the way she wants them to, i.e. winning.

She understands marketing, licensing, working a fan base and building an athletic department. She understands what makes a great coach and she understands the right fit.

This is not a PC hire. Julie is not just a diversity hire. This is a great hire. She is tough, focused and very well connected.
05-15-2013 11:39 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(05-15-2013 09:41 AM)brista21 Wrote:  So what can you tell me about Julie Hermann? She is now going to be the next AD at Rutgers.

She is a true professional, who is very good at her job. Julie did Louisville proud while she worked for us. She will do a good job for Rutgers. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 07:35 PM by Wilkie01.)
05-15-2013 07:33 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
I can now no longer hate Rutgers!03-weeping

If Rutgers allows her to do her job, she will right the ship and take you to the next level.
05-15-2013 08:15 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Look for many OOC games with Rutgers for Years to come with Louisville in most sports. Watch Your Mens Basketball turn a 180 in a couple of Years. She, like TJ have a Long List of great coaches to choose from.
05-15-2013 08:54 PM
Advertisement

CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
(05-15-2013 09:41 AM)brista21 Wrote:  So what can you tell me about Julie Hermann? She is now going to be the next AD at Rutgers.

I think one of her biggest challanges will be dealing with the NJ\NY media, boosters, and just the overall culture of that part of the country....quite different then what it's like here in Kentucky.

On the plus side, we kind of know the Big 10 around here with it being in our region, and also of course she can pick up the phone anytime she needs to and get advice from Jurich.
05-15-2013 10:46 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(05-15-2013 10:46 PM)CardHouse Wrote:  

I think one of her biggest challanges will be dealing with the NJ\NY media, boosters, and just the overall culture of that part of the country....quite different then what it's like here in Kentucky.

On the plus side, we kind of know the Big 10 around here with it being in our region, and also of course she can pick up the phone anytime she needs to and get advice from Jurich.

Not off to a good start...

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...ector.html
05-28-2013 01:44 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
Ouch, this is bad for Rutgers. What a coincidence that the previous coach of the Men's basketball team had anger management issues and now it appears that the new AD also has anger management issues. It was a long time ago and hopefully, she has learned to channel her anger or at least cover it up a bit. Bad break for Rutgers, but shouldn't they have done some due diligence on this.
05-28-2013 03:28 PM
brista21 Offline

Donators
(05-28-2013 03:28 PM)tj_2009 Wrote:  Ouch, this is bad for Rutgers. What a coincidence that the previous coach of the Men's basketball team had anger management issues and now it appears that the new AD also has anger management issues. It was a long time ago and hopefully, she has learned to channel her anger or at least cover it up a bit. Bad break for Rutgers, but shouldn't they have done some due diligence on this.

Unfortunately, Barchi is an incompetent fool and should not have ever even been considered to be president of a large public research university.
05-28-2013 03:59 PM
krux Offline
Banned

I say, let it all blow over and you'll still be happy with the hire one day. Keep in mind, this is damn near 20 years ago that this happened. It's really not "new"...you're just now hearing about it.
05-28-2013 04:37 PM
Advertisement

tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
If you are Rutgers administration you probably do not want to hear this but according to this article Julie Hermann is part of a sex discrimination lawsuit while at Louisville in 2008.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/28/julie-...h-scandal/

I guess this is a good example why you should do background checks and due diligence before hiring a candidate.
Rutgers is probably wondering what else is going to happen.

Apparently, the president Robert Barchi is standing behind his hire Julie Hermann. Makes you wonder about his competency as he was also the same guy who ignored the men's college basketball coach having abusive behavior to his players. Kind of makes you wonder whether any parents are going to notice this.
Hmmm.. school with a track record of tolerating abusive behavior from a coach (mens BB), hiring an AD with a track record of abusive behavior and sweeping sexual discrimination allegations under the table and a university president who conveniently did not notice the Men's basketball coach being abusive to his players.

I'm thinking this does not look good for Rutgers. On the other hand this could help recruiting for ACC schools like Syracuse to freely recruit New Jersey without any threat of Rutgers being able to keep the best players in state.
05-28-2013 06:46 PM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

Nobody would be happier if Rutgers backed out than UofL - we'd take her back in a New York minute.

By the way, my understanding is that the 2008 case is not over yet - the school is appealing the decision. But whether or not that's the case, she addressed this judgment during her interview.
05-28-2013 07:33 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(05-28-2013 07:33 PM)Cardinals Wrote:  Nobody would be happier if Rutgers backed out than UofL - we'd take her back in a New York minute.

By the way, my understanding is that the 2008 case is not over yet - the school is appealing the decision. But whether or not that's the case, she addressed this judgment during her interview.

The school appealed and had the decision reversed. I guess it was found on appeal by UofL that even though she had a decent case, there was not enough proof of a retaliatory firing. Hermann herself is not a party to the lawsuit, the school is. Jurich had a suit filed against him by Ms. Banker, but it was thrown out of court. The former coach is now appealing to the Kentucky Supreme Court, who has yet to decide whether they'll hear her appeal.

As for bringing her back, Jurich said it was possible before this latest item became public. He might not want the PR hit now by bringing her back. Either way, the school president is backing her and now the NJ governor is backing the RU president.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013 09:28 PM by mattsarz.)
05-28-2013 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
lmao such an inauspicious start... regardless, she's very competent lady
05-29-2013 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.