Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New CUSA/MAC Alliance Proposal Yields *3* Champions
_sturt_ Offline
Irritant-in-Chief to the Whiny 5% (hehe)

I Root For: competence
New CUSA/MAC Alliance Proposal Yields *3* Champions
- CUSA adds 2 schools... perhaps Georgia State (East) and Texas State (West)

- MAC adds 3 schools... perhaps Army, Delaware and James Madison (all East)

- Top two football schools from the MAC East, MAC West, CUSA East and CUSA West--8 total--secede to form new football-only conference, though one that remains in an "alliance" relationship with CUSA and MAC

- Regular season play for CUSA and MAC: 5 intra-division games, 1 inter-division game, plus 2 non-conference games versus the teams formerly associated with the division that succeeded to the new conference

- Both CUSA and MAC crown their champions from among their 12 teams in the traditional way, via conference championship game

- Regular season play for new conference includes 6 non-conference games with each team's former CUSA or MAC division, then 3 in-conference tournament games: quarterfinals against the other school hailing from their former division, then the winners seeded into semifinals, and those winners playing the final Saturday for the conference championship; losers are matched against other losers, ensuring 3 games for all teams

- In adopting this tournament as the primary conference mechanism for yielding a champion, the new conference is more likely to put forward the best candidate for the major bowl slot from among the former CUSA and MAC teams

- In each succeeding season, CUSA and MAC division winners automatically replace the less successful of the two former division teams, automatically replenishing the new conference so that it mostly contains the elite of the two conferences

- How would TV work? Not much different than it already does, but the addition to the agenda, obviously, is the new conference's tournament games, which could spark additional interest over ordinary regular season games
05-11-2013 10:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
RE: New CUSA/MAC Alliance Proposal Yields *3* Champions
let it die
05-11-2013 10:46 PM
_sturt_ Offline

(hehe... you seem bothered... is it really that stressful?... can I suggest not clicking threads that list _sturt_ as the author?... I know it's so very difficult to resist, but it might be good for the hypertension, my friend...)
05-11-2013 10:52 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Can we ban f'n stuart? And can this thread be moved to its appropiate place?
05-11-2013 10:52 PM
_sturt_ Offline

Interesting thing about what this board has become since I used to frequent it years ago... so many whiny people... politically, they must be nanny-staters... lol... "please, please, protect me from having to see threads I don't agree with!!!"

my gawsh... grow up... 03-lmfao
05-11-2013 10:59 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
03-zzz
05-11-2013 10:59 PM
Advertisement

Dorrej Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
Stupid idea is stupid.
05-12-2013 02:39 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-11-2013 10:37 PM)_sturt_ Wrote:  - CUSA adds 2 schools... perhaps Georgia State (East) and Texas State (West)

- MAC adds 3 schools... perhaps Army, Delaware and James Madison (all East)

- Top two football schools from the MAC East, MAC West, CUSA East and CUSA West--8 total--secede to form new football-only conference, though one that remains in an "alliance" relationship with CUSA and MAC

- Regular season play for CUSA and MAC: 5 intra-division games, 1 inter-division game, plus 2 non-conference games versus the teams formerly associated with the division that succeeded to the new conference

- Both CUSA and MAC crown their champions from among their 12 teams in the traditional way, via conference championship game

- Regular season play for new conference includes 6 non-conference games with each team's former CUSA or MAC division, then 3 in-conference tournament games: quarterfinals against the other school hailing from their former division, then the winners seeded into semifinals, and those winners playing the final Saturday for the conference championship; losers are matched against other losers, ensuring 3 games for all teams

- In adopting this tournament as the primary conference mechanism for yielding a champion, the new conference is more likely to put forward the best candidate for the major bowl slot from among the former CUSA and MAC teams

- In each succeeding season, CUSA and MAC division winners automatically replace the less successful of the two former division teams, automatically replenishing the new conference so that it mostly contains the elite of the two conferences

- How would TV work? Not much different than it already does, but the addition to the agenda, obviously, is the new conference's tournament games, which could spark additional interest over ordinary regular season games

Football only FBS conferences are not allowed. Eight schools must play the required number of Olympic sports together in order to sponsor FBS football. Football only members are allowed, but only after the 8 all-sports member threshold has been met.
05-12-2013 03:25 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Please don't feed the troll.
05-12-2013 04:34 AM
_sturt_ Offline

(05-12-2013 04:34 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Please don't feed the troll.

Why is the concept so difficult... if I bother you, SIMPLY don't click on the thread. No one appointed you to Nanny in Chief, to my knowledge.
05-12-2013 08:50 AM
_sturt_ Offline

(05-12-2013 03:25 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Football only FBS conferences are not allowed. Eight schools must play the required number of Olympic sports together in order to sponsor FBS football. Football only members are allowed, but only after the 8 all-sports member threshold has been met.

I'd heard that, but when I downloaded the manual, couldn't find it.

Found it after all.

Requirement is 6 men's sports that include football and basketball, and 8 women's sports that include basketball. Overall, a conference must sponsor at least 12 championships; so, indeed, it wouldn't be a football-only situation. But that's okay. In fact, it's potentially even advantageous, placing an additional conference champion into the mix for March Madness.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 08:52 PM by _sturt_.)
05-12-2013 08:51 AM
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Okay, if you want a serious answer, here's why this idea doesn't work.

Money and future prestige.

C-USA had TV deals worth 12 times what the MAC has. C-USA has 13 of the top 65 tv markets. We added three schools in UTSA, Charlotte, and Old Dominion that have the potential to significantly grow and mirror what UCF has done. C-USA clearly took a short term hit in order to position themselves for years down the road.

Quite frankly, a league with Southern Miss, Marshall, UTEP, La Tech, three "sleeping giants", and Florida and Texas presence doesn't need to ally with the MAC as its longterm potential alone is greater than anything that can be achieved there. The two leagues ability to generate revenues is not equal, so there no monetary benefit for CUSA.

Finally, your assumption is that this alliance would only help a BCS cause, and I would argue otherwise. Last year, if NIU had to play Tulsa... How would that have benefitted NIU? Tulsa had a squad fully capable of playing with and beating NIU, but didn't have the BCS point system ranking behind them? Similar to the Houston/ Southern Miss situation in 2011, Houston was 7th in the BCS rating, but lost in the CUSA championship to an 25th-ish Southern Miss. This benefit no one (some would obviously argue it benefitted Southerb miss, but that win also cost them a million dollar payout). I make the point that there there has generally emerged only 1 clear candidate traditionally from the nonBCS ranks.

With no history, no money, no benefit, and no comparisons between the two leagues, why is this an idea?
05-12-2013 09:43 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Needs to be said on every board where you are posting this..

05-12-2013 10:30 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Just like Bull in Exile, I'll copy my response from the MAC board to here:

Why would we want to do this at all? C-USA 3 is the worst of C-USA 2 (though there are some good schools), WAC refugees, FCS callups, and mediocre Sun Belt schools, while the MAC has already shown that we can pull our own weight and put teams in the BCS. We're due to pass them up as far as money goes in our next round of negotiations, there's nothing I see here.
05-12-2013 10:40 AM
_sturt_ Offline

(05-12-2013 09:43 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  Okay, if you want a serious answer, here's why this idea doesn't work.

Money and future prestige.

C-USA had TV deals worth 12 times what the MAC has. C-USA has 13 of the top 65 tv markets. We added three schools in UTSA, Charlotte, and Old Dominion that have the potential to significantly grow and mirror what UCF has done. C-USA clearly took a short term hit in order to position themselves for years down the road.

Quite frankly, a league with Southern Miss, Marshall, UTEP, La Tech, three "sleeping giants", and Florida and Texas presence doesn't need to ally with the MAC as its longterm potential alone is greater than anything that can be achieved there. The two leagues ability to generate revenues is not equal, so there no monetary benefit for CUSA.

Finally, your assumption is that this alliance would only help a BCS cause, and I would argue otherwise. Last year, if NIU had to play Tulsa... How would that have benefitted NIU? Tulsa had a squad fully capable of playing with and beating NIU, but didn't have the BCS point system ranking behind them? Similar to the Houston/ Southern Miss situation in 2011, Houston was 7th in the BCS rating, but lost in the CUSA championship to an 25th-ish Southern Miss. This benefit no one (some would obviously argue it benefitted Southerb miss, but that win also cost them a million dollar payout). I make the point that there there has generally emerged only 1 clear candidate traditionally from the nonBCS ranks.

With no history, no money, no benefit, and no comparisons between the two leagues, why is this an idea?

Maclid, thanks. I have always been able to rely on you for a legitimate response, even when we disagree.

And we do still disagree, but let me first say where we agree.

When we get away from all of the subjective "my conference is better than yours" hyperbole, and attempt to simply look at objective measures, today CUSA 3.0 and MAC are virtual equals. For every CUSA pro or con, there is a MAC pro or con.

Yes, CUSA potentially has the brighter future, particularly because of its Florida and Texas roots. But not decidedly so. MAC has accomplished some things that even exceed MWC and CUSA 2.0, and there's no reason to think that that won't continue to occasionally occur.

Here's the thing: while the crates (conferences) containing the packages (schools) into which the product (talent) is being poured have changed, there is no reason to suspect any change in the amount or quality of talent.

So, will Charlotte (for example) take away from ECU or UCF? Not so much, at least in their first decade. Charlotte is decidedly more likely to take away from Marshall, Appalachian State, Old Dominion... and then maybe some MAC schools, too.

Should the MAC be competitive over the next decade with the likes of Charlotte, Marshall, Appy and ODU? Can't think anyone would argue that.

Here's the second thing: Nothing is ever permanent. Once established, if one conference or the other begins to have advantage perennially, then you simply have language in the agreement that allows one or the other to dissolve the alliance at that point.

Now, as to your other point, which you support using Houston/USM... if you believe the Bill Parcells mantra, as many of us do, that "you are what your record says you are," Houston got beat and deserved to get beat. You want to put teams into the major bowls who have went through the fire and emerged as being the best. You can't almost be that good... you have to actually be that good.

Tulsa/NIU? Hold up. You're actually citing something that should argue MY point... that's because, effectively, NIU *did* get the SAME benefit of playing a Tulsa because they ended up being blessed to play a high-ranked Kent State in the MAC championship. The point is that when your best plays your best, if those two "bests" are "best enough," that's going to serve as a springboard for the winner of that contest to be a stronger candidate for the Orange Bowl (in this case) than they would have otherwise been. What this system does is, essentially, set up the MAC and CUSA to *annually* produce that very same mechanism to vault someone into the strongest contention possible.

Here's what I'd like you to address if you're going to continue to disagree with me...

My primary proposition is that, by employing a mini-tournament element within the regular season, you automatically produce *a* (singular) team that has went through the fire and emerged *undefeated* against that higher level of competition. By so doing, you give yourself the best shot at elevating your *true* best team (by virtue of what happens on the field, not perceptions) to getting its due consideration for the lone major bowl slot.

The weakness of the current system is found in that USM team's journey... they perhaps would have been eliminated in a quarter or semi final round had they had to navigate the gauntlet, and Houston wouldn't have even had to play them. But the current system is a round-robin that instantly births two division champions... a loss against Marshall didn't hurt USM in the way that it would have in a tournament situation.

Look, I'm only arguing for what we consider conventional thinking otherwise... tournament play is how the sports universe ordinarily determines champions. Round robin play is normally only used to set the playoff field and to determine seeding. What we have presently cuts out that middle part, and you have teams showing up in championship games that benefited too much from the weakness of their round robin, and then the "on any given day" factor can take over.

The trick for college football is to figure out a rational way to institute that middle part.

This does that.

But moreover, this does that, AND produces two "normal" champions... the best of all worlds.

Your serve.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 12:14 PM by _sturt_.)
05-12-2013 12:07 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
I don't believe any of this, BUT if Army was going to be joining a conference, it'd be the AAC to join rival Navy.
05-12-2013 12:09 PM
Advertisement

_sturt_ Offline

(05-12-2013 12:09 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  I don't believe any of this, BUT if Army was going to be joining a conference, it'd be the AAC to join rival Navy.

I would have agreed at one time, but I've learned that the two do not want to be in a conference together so as to avoid any third party having any say in when and how their annual game is conducted.

The other point is that Army already plays MAC schools with some regularity.

Personally, I think the three institutions should consider alternating between three conferences, so they get exposure nationwide.

By the way... I'm not sure what there is to "believe"... this is a proposal, a statement of what could/should be... not an assertion of anything that is.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 12:19 PM by _sturt_.)
05-12-2013 12:18 PM
_sturt_ Offline

(05-12-2013 10:30 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Needs to be said on every board where you are posting this..

Oh, great.

Another nanny who makes it his business to dictate what threads anyone should read.

Do you really have nothing better to do with your life than to click on threads that you actually don't have any interest in?

Sad and strange at the same time.
05-12-2013 12:22 PM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(05-12-2013 12:22 PM)_sturt_ Wrote:  Do you really have nothing better to do with your life than to click on threads that you actually don't have any interest in?

Sad and strange at the same time.

People are expressing their opinion, just like you are expressing yours...

This concept of yours is just not popular with the majority...and its complicated...not necessarily complicated to understand, but the overall execution of it...plus it complicated the payout, because an alliance that doesn't benefit all parties (i.e. payout) isn't going to work...so basically the winner of this alliance (the bowl rep) would have to divide their shares among twice as many schools...

Why do all you suggest, when any team (that feels they are or will be good enough in the future) can just schedule quality non-conference opponents, beat 'em, and represent themselves and conference in a top bowl game?
05-12-2013 12:40 PM
_sturt_ Offline

wleakr, my problem is not with opinions, positive or negative... it's with whether the opinion actually engages the topic, as Maclid does and you do, or if it is a hit-and-run thing where someone's just stroking their ego in a middle-school-kinda-way, and making no actual substantive comment other than "This sucks," or "Ban this." That deserves it's own kind of censorship. Truly.

You bring up the pay out, and assume that a school would divide up the shares from the major bowl with ALL of the alliance. That's certainly one option, but not one that I would favor.

My general answer to that is to let it get negotiated... but regardless of how it would play out, a share of something is more than a share of nothing for all concerned.

If I were charged with making a decision on my own, I'd probably favor giving a high percentage of the shares to the new conference (assuming that that conference produced the major bowl participant), and a lesser percentage to that school's former conference.

To your last comment... I don't disagree with that at all... but it presumes that teams can schedule quality non-conference opponents year-in-year-out. They can't. There are only so many slots that the perennial top 25 teams have open. And, yet... even if they could... it doesn't matter. We *still* want to do everything we can do with *all* of our schedule-making to put ourselves in prime position to succeed... particularly since MWC and AAC statistically and objectively have the current upper-hand, and our two conferences (as they're currently composed) are so alike in terms of results over the last decade.
05-12-2013 02:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.