Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Big Boys: Let's Kick FCS Football in the Teeth
Bookmark and Share
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
The Big Boys: Let's Kick FCS Football in the Teeth
The money games for FCS programs could become a thing of the past. Where does the greed end? And Saban, what difference does it make to him if the little guys try grabbing some of the crumbs from the tables of the big boys this way?

http://www.myajc.com/weblogs/jeff-schult...sec-games/
05-10-2013 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
RE: The Big Boys: Let's Kick FCS Football in the Teeth
As a fan of FBS football, I have always said this was a good move. The SEC has no business playing FCS schools and that game counting as a win. I know that hurts schools like ETSU- but ya have to look at it from everyone's perspective. Strength of schedule will become huge in this new playoff thing in FBS, and teams that make a case that they should play for a national championship should have played all FBS teams.
05-10-2013 04:32 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
I think Sun Belt and MAC level teams will still schedule I-AA games. The payout will be lower, but it is what it is.
05-10-2013 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buc66 Offline
All American

Can the Big Five conferences still even schedule MAC, Sun Belt, and maybe some other lower end FBS teams and hold to their argument of the importance of strength of schedule in this new play off set up? Looks as if they're moving to an even more closed operation, that is, only scheduling games within their group -- thus corning more and more of the college football money. Looks like they won't be satisfied until they have ALL of the college football money.
05-10-2013 07:29 PM
You're my boy blue! Offline
Bench Warmer

I think that segregating the FCS from the FBS is a load of crap. FCS teams shouldn't be hidden in the cellar of college football. They should be allowed to prove themselves against other colleges not just automatically considered inferior because they're in another league.

What if this happens to college basketball?
05-12-2013 05:40 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

College basketball and college football are completely different sports.

FCS teams are inferior to FBS teams- are you trying to argue this? Yes, Appy State beat Michigan, and it was a great moment and I was pulling for Appy State the entire game. But Michigan was still the better team that year.

Dont get me wrong, I actually like FCS football a bit better than FBS. But in almost every instance, FBS teams are better than the "money game" opponents from the FCS level. They are not always worse than the Sun Belt teams, but that isnt the money games that we are talking about losing.
05-12-2013 06:01 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
We don't keep like playing Milligan in basketball because it can't help only hurt. This is the samething.
05-12-2013 06:41 PM
Bench Warmer

What does it help? Help limit exposure to up and coming football programs? Help limit revenue to FCS schools? Help keep those at "The lower level" in the lower level?

Yes to all of the above.
05-12-2013 08:51 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-12-2013 08:51 PM)Youre my boy blue! Wrote:  What does it help? Help limit exposure to up and coming football programs? Help limit revenue to FCS schools? Help keep those at "The lower level" in the lower level?

Yes to all of the above.

It doesn't help thier strength of schedule, it doesn't count towards thier wins total. It could help prevent them from making the new playoff system. There is no grand conspiracy trying to keep the little man down.
They are just trying to cover thier own ass and promote thier program.
05-12-2013 09:21 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(05-12-2013 09:21 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 08:51 PM)Youre my boy blue! Wrote:  What does it help? Help limit exposure to up and coming football programs? Help limit revenue to FCS schools? Help keep those at "The lower level" in the lower level?

Yes to all of the above.

It doesn't help thier strength of schedule, it doesn't count towards thier wins total. It could help prevent them from making the new playoff system. There is no grand conspiracy trying to keep the little man down.

Of course. It's a business and only natural. Why not corner all the cash you can? But, isn't it funny -- at almost all colleges and universities, the prevailing trend among faculty is certainly politically, socially, and economically left leaning, while the big football programs run economic models generally contrary to that -- not much interest in "spreading the wealth".
05-13-2013 06:25 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-13-2013 06:25 AM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 09:21 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

Yes to all of the above.

Of course. It's a business and only natural. Why not corner all the cash you can? But, isn't it funny -- at almost all colleges and universities, the prevailing trend among faculty is certainly politically, socially, and economically left leaning, while the big football programs run economic models generally contrary to that -- not much interest in "spreading the wealth".

I give up, you all are going to believe what you want, it has NOTHING to do with not spreading the wealth. The big programs have been playing cash games and bringing in smaller programs to beat up on for years. But with the new playoff system and the penalities in place now for playing a lower division program it doesn't make sense. I could just see an AD, well I know if I play ETSU and pay them 400,000 to beat them up it could very well cost me a chance at a big bowl game at the end of the year and cost my school several millions!! Hmm screw it I am playing and paying them to lose money!! yeah that makes sense.
Do that for a few years and the big program isn't going to be able to afford it anyway. 03-banghead03-banghead
05-13-2013 06:42 AM
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

And some on here are indicating that there is some moral obligation to "spread the wealth." Im not sure where that is coming from. If im an AD at any college my job is to work in the best interests of that school. And the last thing we need is some college equivalent to welfare like some professional leagues have.
05-13-2013 07:29 AM
Bench Warmer

I get what you're saying rodshaw and agree that it would be counter productive to schedule teams that would result in fines and missed opportunities to compete in the championship. I feel that the NCAA shouldn't have created this situation to begin with, that's all.

The college football world should get ready for 2 scenarios. 1) 3 classification divisions with the likes of the SEC competing IA, Sunbelt competing IIA, and SOCON competing IIIA.

Or

2) Everyone other than the ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12, and SEC getting pushed back down to the FCS level.
05-13-2013 07:43 AM
Bench Warmer

Just for the record, I think it's less about the money and more about showing that you have what it takes to compete with "the big boys".
05-13-2013 08:07 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

I think either of the scenerios that you mention is better than the way it is now.
05-13-2013 09:15 AM
72Grad Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Tennessee
(05-10-2013 04:32 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  As a fan of FBS football, I have always said this was a good move. The SEC has no business playing FCS schools and that game counting as a win. I know that hurts schools like ETSU- but ya have to look at it from everyone's perspective. Strength of schedule will become huge in this new playoff thing in FBS, and teams that make a case that they should play for a national championship should have played all FBS teams.

Totally disagree. When teams were playing 10 games during the regular season...maybe. Now that the seasons have grown to 12 scheduled games there should be room enough to allow a big guy to play the little guy in a money game. Base strength of schedule on 10 games...at best 11 games. Maybe it is time for the smaller schools to exit the NCAA and establish a new governing body. Maybe it is time for some revenue sharing to keep the smaller guy afloat. TV money is huge and a percentage of those earnings should be spread among the smaller schools. With the advent of ESPN and other cable stations, they have all but destroyed the financial capabilities of smaller schools to survive. People stay at home to watch games instead of going to the game.
05-13-2013 10:58 AM
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

Ah, the college form of welfare that I mentioned above. Very bad move, in my opinion. A mindset that ETSU "deserves" money from Alabama's success is crazy!
05-13-2013 11:19 AM
72Grad Offline
Water Engineer

(05-13-2013 11:19 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  Ah, the college form of welfare that I mentioned above. Very bad move, in my opinion. A mindset that ETSU "deserves" money from Alabama's success is crazy!

Not just ETSU but all of the divisions. I don't want Alabama's money...I want CBS, ESPN, etc.'s money. The little guys can only have so many bake sales to fund their programs.
05-13-2013 11:37 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
All this being said, there has to be a better way for the smaller schools to make money than to get drubbed 50-0 by major opponents.
05-13-2013 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
72Grad Offline
Water Engineer

(05-13-2013 03:19 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  All this being said, there has to be a better way for the smaller schools to make money than to get drubbed 50-0 by major opponents.

Go ahead...I'm listening.
05-13-2013 03:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.