Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nick Saban floats the idea of five conferences playing all their games against each o
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Big Grin Nick Saban floats the idea of five conferences playing all their games against each o
And so the super-conference movement begins.

Well, obviously the idea of the big conferences in college football splitting off into their own division isn't really new, and it's a good bet that it is being actively discussed in some fashion behind the scenes. Now it has an endorsement from the game's biggest coach and one of the sport's most powerful men, Alabama's Nick Saban.

“I’m for five conferences – everybody playing everybody in those five conferences,” Saban told AL.com, in response to a question about the Big Ten saying it might not schedule FCS teams anymore. “That’s what I’m for, so it might be 70 teams, and everybody’s got to play ’em. …”

It's a concept that is probably going to come to fruition at some point. Instead of doing their best to game the system and keep the smaller conferences out of the money grab (the BCS, making sure the playoff is just four teams), the bigger conferences can just start over with their own system. Whether that's four conferences with 16 teams or, as Saban says, five conferences with everyone playing against each other, it seems there's a good chance that's the future of the sport.

Saban, whose schedule last year included Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina, also told AL.com that he's in favor of adding a ninth SEC game to add to the entertainment value for the fans.

“For the guys who whine about their fixed rivalries, we have games until 2017 with opening games, so we’re going to play somebody else,” Saban said. “I mean, strength of schedule is important, but also, how
about the fans? Don’t they want to see good games and all that?”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-s...25845.html
05-10-2013 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Nick Saban floats the idea of five conferences playing all their games against each o
Ridiculous...sigh
05-10-2013 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Bull Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF Bulls
RE: Nick Saban floats the idea of five conferences playing all their games against each o
His argument is that the Power 5 fans deserve even more "good games." But, what about fans that would just be further excluded.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 11:38 AM by Green Bull.)
05-10-2013 11:37 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
More off-season silly talk. I guess Saban got bored with sniping back and forth with Stoops.

This is the part that proves this is silly talk:

Quote:Saban, whose schedule last year included Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina

Saban's schedule. He's been there for several years. It's not somebody else's schedule. He's not a first-year coach who inherited a schedule he didn't like from a previous regime. So call us back when Alabama's non-con schedule is, say, West Virginia, Florida State, and North Carolina, instead of Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina.
05-10-2013 11:51 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-10-2013 11:51 AM)Wedge Wrote:  More off-season silly talk. I guess Saban got bored with sniping back and forth with Stoops.

Quote:Saban, whose schedule last year included Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina

Saban's schedule. He's been there for several years. It's not somebody else's schedule. He's not a first-year coach who inherited a schedule he didn't like from a previous regime. So call us back when Alabama's non-con schedule is, say, West Virginia, Florida State, and North Carolina, instead of Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, and Western Carolina.

To be fair, Alabama is one of the better power programs about playing at least 1 or 2 top non-conference opponents each year. Is playing 1 game against Michigan plus WKU/FAU/WCU better or worse than playing 4 medicore BCS teams (say, Illinois, Arizona, UVA and Kansas)? I know that pollsters certainly give more credit to the 1 Michigan game than 4 mid-tier games, so I can't blame schools for scheduling that way. There are examples of SEC schools ducking non-conference competition, but Alabama isn't one of them.

The big thing is that in the SEC and Big Ten, having 7 home games is now sacrosanct in terms of revenue generation (and it's the same case at most other BCS schools). As long as there's a 12-game schedule, that's going to require at least 2 guarantee home games per year, which means that SEC schools can only play 2 home-and-home series per year at most (or 1 neutral site game plus 3 guarantee home games) with their 8-game conference schedule and Big Ten schools will only have 1 home-and-home slot available when they go to a 9-game conference schedule. That's one factor that would guard against a complete move to all power 5 vs. power 5 play... unless the TV money gets to the point where it's completely worth it (and even with the rise in TV contracts, it's still not there yet when the top power schools take in $5 million or more for each extra home game).
05-10-2013 12:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
http://www.ubbullrun.com/2013/5/10/43190...uling-idea

Quote:Let's not pretend the Power five conference are playing FCS and Mid-Majors because they like spending money on games or because they are just so gosh darn nice. The SEC teams have been playing these games because it means more money than they would get if they did *not* play the games.

Yea I'm sure Ohio State fans would rather have Alabama come in on week one than Buffalo but is there any doubt they are going to sell out either way? These opening games against Mid Majors sell out because, well, it's the opening game. So Ohio State spends one million dollars to sell out a game, a game the B1G collects TV revenue for, and it costs them no return date.

How do you think it is that Florida plays eight home games a year? Do you think for a one million dollar check Virginia Tech will come into the swamp and play the season opening game? No the Hookies would want a return game which would cost Florida millions of dollars the following year.

Lets be clear, Ohio State is going to net five million or more when they host UB this year. They are paying the Bulls a million dollars for the game. That put's their net at 4 million or more, is OSU really going to throw away four million dollars every other year? I mean they are rich but not stupid.

So let's do the math. Eight home games per year versus six, that's more than a ten million dollar net change in an elite teams budget. Mid Majors would go from five FBS homes games and a payout to the FCS schools to six games, losing a million net. They would also save about 1-200 K on the FCS games they buy to offset the road trip.

I can see it now "Hey Cyclone's, it's Urban.. Would want to come play a home opener in Columbus? You can keep whatever you find in our couch cushions". Good luck with that Power 5.
05-10-2013 12:31 PM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
This would straight up ruin college football even more. NCAA royally f***ed up by never having a playoff for CFB. Now all the greedy bastards running CFB are going to completely ruin a perfectly good thing. If they do go ahead with a separate division/association/whatever, say goodbye to CFB.
05-10-2013 12:41 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Nick Saban floats the idea of five conferences playing all their games against each o
(05-10-2013 12:41 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  This would straight up ruin college football even more. NCAA royally f***ed up by never having a playoff for CFB. Now all the greedy bastards running CFB are going to completely ruin a perfectly good thing. If they do go ahead with a separate division/association/whatever, say goodbye to CFB.

Yes, college football as we know it will die.

The excitement in the non-bigs will be killed. The Big 5 non-power teams like Indiana, Vandy, IA State, Northwestern, etc have to understand they won't be able to pad their schedule.

The KY, Mem, Indiana, etc basketball schools have to understand no more warm-up teams early in the season.

No more making the rules for everyone in all sports.

If the non-Big 5 don't stick together and go for total separation they might as well call it a day.
05-10-2013 12:59 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(05-10-2013 11:51 AM)Wedge Wrote:  More off-season silly talk. I guess Saban got bored with sniping back and forth with Stoops.

Wedge, I am certainly not an Alabama apologist, but schedules in the past and this year are irrelevant to the conversation. Bama and every other championship level school schedule exactly how they needed to for the current BCS landscape. The landscape is changing, so Alabama will be changing. He has been on board for nine games awhile now. This may be the first time it has gotten national attention, though.
05-10-2013 01:06 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(05-10-2013 12:41 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  This would straight up ruin college football even more. NCAA royally f***ed up by never having a playoff for CFB. Now all the greedy bastards running CFB are going to completely ruin a perfectly good thing. If they do go ahead with a separate division/association/whatever, say goodbye to CFB.

Depends on your perspective. MWC/MAC/AAC fans? Yeah, it sucks. As an SEC fan, I'm excited for it.
05-10-2013 01:08 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse

Thing is teams won't have to schedule to compensate for BCS rankings. With the playoff system you can afford to lose a game or two on a tough schedule.
05-10-2013 01:14 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-10-2013 01:08 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

Depends on your perspective. MWC/MAC/AAC fans? Yeah, it sucks. As an SEC fan, I'm excited for it.

Not sure why a KY fan would be excited. Seems to me like it would further solidify the SEC pecking order and perhaps make the gaps wider.
05-10-2013 01:17 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

Enjoy the 25% drop in home games... Or enjoy being the Eastern Michigan of the new 70 team league...
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 01:19 PM by Bull_In_Exile.)
05-10-2013 01:18 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-10-2013 01:06 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

Wedge, I am certainly not an Alabama apologist, but schedules in the past and this year are irrelevant to the conversation. Bama and every other championship level school schedule exactly how they needed to for the current BCS landscape. The landscape is changing, so Alabama will be changing. He has been on board for nine games awhile now. This may be the first time it has gotten national attention, though.

Look at Bama's future schedules as well as the past schedules. No difference.

There is no season in which the Tide are scheduled to play more than one contract-conference non-conference opponent, and even for that one strong opponent, the Tide don't go on the road -- like their 2012 game against Michigan, their 2013, '14, and '15 top non-con game is at a neutral site, and in 2016 they host Michigan St. They play at Michigan State in 2017, by which time it will have been six years since Bama played a non-conference road game (last one was at Penn State in 2011).

So, I'll believe that Saban is really changing, and not just blowing off-season smoke, when they actually play at least two tough non-con opponents every year and start playing away games against those teams.
05-10-2013 01:19 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(05-10-2013 01:17 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Not sure why a KY fan would be excited. Seems to me like it would further solidify the SEC pecking order and perhaps make the gaps wider.

Yea, I don't understand why a bottom feeder in a BC$ conference would be excited for this. This would just cement their spot at the bottom, while losing a home game or 2, giving them 'only' 5-6 home games a year instead of 7-8.
05-10-2013 01:22 PM
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Nick Saban floats the idea of five

I think seperate divisions is the best ting that could happen to all of college football. Look at high schools, there are levels or divisions and they are all happy. Each level has their playoff champion and I never knew of a 4A high school state champion that was not just as happy as the 6A champion.

Sure the money and exposure would be differnet but all schools in the same division would be on the same level.

With all due respect and no offense intended, but Toledo is never going to be able to compete with Michigan. Yes you can say the same thing about SMU. That is just the way it is and it is not going to change.
05-10-2013 01:28 PM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(05-10-2013 01:28 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  

I think seperate divisions is the best ting that could happen to all of college football. Look at high schools, there are levels or divisions and they are all happy. Each level has their playoff champion and I never knew of a 4A high school state champion that was not just as happy as the 6A champion.

Sure the money and exposure would be differnet but all schools in the same division would be on the same level.

With all due respect and no offense intended, but Toledo is never going to be able to compete with Michigan. Yes you can say the same thing about SMU. That is just the way it is and it is not going to change.

Thank you for stating it better than I did.
05-10-2013 01:34 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

(05-10-2013 01:22 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 01:17 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Yea, I don't understand why a bottom feeder in a BC$ conference would be excited for this. This would just cement their spot at the bottom, while losing a home game or 2, giving them 'only' 5-6 home games a year instead of 7-8.

Because UK is unlike a lot of schools; we know who we are. Like Ole Miss, our biggest goal is to win the tailgate. The SEC serves up our conference patsies in basketball, and we are served to them in football. You know why the Joker Phillips era was unsuccessful? Because they were not fun to watch even when they were competitive. The Hal Mumme/Mike Leach years were awesome because we were in many games, and even the ones where we were not had a chance of seeing something spectacular. I think the fans/alums from Indiana, Kansas, and North Carolina (to a lesser extent) have the same approach to their conference.
05-10-2013 01:39 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: Nick Saban floats the idea of five

I think seperate divisions is the best ting that could happen to all of college football.

No way any of the non-Big 5 should agree to seperate divisions under the same governance structure.

If you want to break away...break away. But if you do you lose control of the rest of us and we start making rules and deals for ourselves without concern for your interests.
05-10-2013 01:45 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU

With all due respect that would be the worst thing that ever happened to East Carolina. It would probably end up bankrupting the entire athletic department.
05-10-2013 01:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.