Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Heritage Report on the Net Cost of Legalization
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Heritage Report on the Net Cost of Legalization
http://thf_media.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/pdf/sr133.pdf

Here's the complete report.

Go to page 11 and 12. Is Heritage saying that only college graduates are net contributors to the system? Ouch.

And for those on the right that endorse this report, that's a tough message to America. Go to college or be a "taker".
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 10:51 AM by AtlanticLeague.)
05-07-2013 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
Re: RE: Heritage Report on the Net Cost of Legalization
(05-07-2013 10:27 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  http://thf_media.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/pdf/sr133.pdf

Here's the complete report.

Go to page 11 and 12. Is Heritage saying that only college graduates are net contributors to the system? Ouch.

And for those on the right that endorse this report, that's a tough message to America. Go to college or be a "taker".

I'd say that's largely true. I'm guessing here but I'd say the threshold for being a contributor is a combined household income of around 100k.

Positive rep me or I'll sell you to gypsies.
05-07-2013 10:55 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Heritage Report on the Net Cost of Legalization
Heard an interesting take on why College has become so needed and its not just that the jobs have gotten smarter.

Back in the day employers used to go into HS's and administer tests to kids to see what their aptitude matches up for any open positions. Many states, including Minnesota, banned the practice.

So now employers face a crumbling HS system and no ability to test kids in school whats left? A bachelors degree..
05-07-2013 11:17 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Dang, that really is eye opening. Thanks for posting that AtlanticLeague.
05-07-2013 11:21 AM
Advertisement

jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
Quote:I’m joined in this view by a host of prominent free-marketeers. Jim Pethokoukis at AEI, Doug Holtz-Eakin at American Action Forum, Tim Kane at the Hudson Institute, and others have all denounced the fundamentals of the Heritage report.

The new Heritage report is still depressingly static, leading to a massive underestimation of the economic benefits of immigration and diminishing estimated tax revenue.
http://www.cato.org/blog
05-07-2013 11:54 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
(05-07-2013 11:54 AM)jh Wrote:  
Quote:I’m joined in this view by a host of prominent free-marketeers. Jim Pethokoukis at AEI, Doug Holtz-Eakin at American Action Forum, Tim Kane at the Hudson Institute, and others have all denounced the fundamentals of the Heritage report.

The new Heritage report is still depressingly static, leading to a massive underestimation of the economic benefits of immigration and diminishing estimated tax revenue.
http://www.cato.org/blog

Heritage is wrong? Shocked.
05-07-2013 11:56 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-07-2013 11:17 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Heard an interesting take on why College has become so needed and its not just that the jobs have gotten smarter.

Back in the day employers used to go into HS's and administer tests to kids to see what their aptitude matches up for any open positions. Many states, including Minnesota, banned the practice.

Yes, I think that thesis has merit

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/11/pete...ubble.html

Quote:"In 1964, there were more than 2,000 personnel tests available to employers. But already an Illinois state official had ruled that a standard ability test used by Motorola was illegal because it was unfair to "disadvantaged groups."

A heavy burden of proof was placed on employers, including that of proving that any test that produced a "disparate impact" detrimental to certain minorities was a "business necessity" for various particular jobs.

Small wonder, then, that many employers, fearing endless litigation about multiple uncertainties, threw up their hands and, to avoid legal liability, threw out intelligence and aptitude tests for potential employees. Instead, they began requiring college degrees as indices of applicants' satisfactory intelligence and diligence.

Some similar thoughts on elite schools

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/20...tment.html

Quote:There is some rationality in this approach [to hiring mainly from the Ivies] – it is not all mindless snobbism. Take Princeton. It screens something like 25,000 already exceptional applicants down to just 1500, and then further carefully monitors their performance through intensive contact over a four year period. This is WAY more work and resources than a private firm could ever apply to the hiring process. In effect, by limiting their hiring to just a few top schools, they are outsourcing a lot of their performance evaluation work to those schools.
05-07-2013 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.