Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulsa World Haisten Article - Dr Gragg - May 1st
rabidTU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
Tulsa World Haisten Article - Dr Gragg - May 1st
In todays TW, Haisten seemed to infer that new AD Dr Gragg should push for 3 facility upgrades- IPF, a parking garage and a new athletic administration building.

I concur on the IPF, but the other two would be horrible mistakes imo. I am not a big fan of parking garages at TU for variety of reasons, least of which would be another large structure to "upkeep" and repair -a structure that teams do not play in and fans can not see an event in. And the huge expense is a huge drain of limited resources. Ground level parking is the best because it attracts casual fans TU needs who are not privy to anything other than a parking place they can visibly see.

To me, this is just a journalist throwing out another luxury for he and his "chosen" friends. The best alternative would be to do away with the Harvard/east setback since TU already owns that property. (I'd like to discuss that in the future on this website.) There are other facilities needs more important than that IMO.

As far as a new administrative building, we already have one, its called the Mabee Gym. Upgrade it and renovate it. Problem solved and money saved.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 09:17 PM by rabidTU.)
05-01-2013 09:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Tulsa World Haisten Article - Dr Gragg - May 1st
An indoor practice facility would be great, I think most would agree that it's the next big thing that needs to happen in regards to athletics.

As far as a parking garage is concerned - I can see pros and cons to the situation. You kind of went over the cons about upkeep and so on, but I think if a garage was built and it was handled correctly, it could increase attendance - Here's why: If there is one thing that casual fans whine about, it's parking (even though the die hard fans like you and I know that if you just drive through campus or a surrounding neighborhood, you'll find a spot). If they build this garage and let folks park there for football and basketball games at no charge, we'll be able to pull in more fans because they wont have to search for parking around campus or in residential areas. I know it sounds weird, but casual fans tend to be lazy when it comes to supporting someone other than OU or OSU - so I think TU should try to do everything it can to make it as easy as possible for casual fans to come enjoy a TU game.

Lastly - I heard that they were planning on tearing down Mabee Gym a while ago to make new athletic offices. I'm kind of indifferent, honestly. Mabee Gym is one of the least attractive buildings we have on campus and it's what everyone sees during football games while tailgating or just walking around the stadium. Hopefully they would build something that complimented the stadium and was more condusive to tailgating in the area directly north of the stadium.

All of this is just my opinion - but what's great is that we're in a position to even be considering any of these things, let alone all of them. TU is on the rise and the future looks bright on all fronts. It's a great time to be a TU fan!
05-02-2013 07:54 AM
rabidTU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
Good points.

On the Mabee Gym thing, I assumed it wasn't a complete teardown of the facility because they spent so much on the rowing and indoor golf areas etc as well. There's also the band practice rooms and various dressing rooms (is the cheer dept there?). I don't know this to be true, but I was assuming that only part of the MG was to be cleared for the IPF building, maybe the eastern section (campus police?). I'm not a big advocate of tearing down any athletic facility on campus since we need every bit of space we have for our programs. An example is Lafortune Hall/House (built as an athletic dorm) which is "evidently" no longer a part of the athletic program and is isolated from the rest of the dorms and housing at TU. I've seen so many instances where a unviersity starts taking athletic "space" and converting it to academics. IMO we need every athletic building and every bit of space we have. IMO
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 09:49 AM by rabidTU.)
05-02-2013 09:46 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
You're right - Mabee houses athletic offices, indoor driving range for golf, half of an indoor football field, women's rowing center and marching band rehearsal area as well as a whole wing dedicated to campo.

I'm sure they'd incorporate all those things or just relocate them.
05-02-2013 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.