No FCS Preview magazine from Phi Steele this year
Bookmark and Share
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
No FCS Preview magazine from Phi Steele this year
On the front page of his website:

".............ATTENTION CUSTOMERS!
Due to unforeseen circumstances we will not be printing/publishing the Phil Steele 2013 NFL (or FCS) magazine, right now we are uncertain of its future status................"
http://www.philsteele.com/
05-01-2013 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

RE: No FCS Preview magazine from Phi Steele this year
Course no surprise here, as he had announced last year that there likely wouldn't be one this year. But just in case anyone was wondering...
05-01-2013 05:33 PM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

This isn't a surprise, but it's still unfortunate news. That was some of the best money I ever spent.
05-01-2013 06:01 PM
rufus Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
FCS is dying. I seriously doubt there is enough demand to justify publishing the magazine.
05-01-2013 10:00 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(05-01-2013 10:00 PM)rufus Wrote:  FCS is dying. I seriously doubt there is enough demand to justify publishing the magazine.

There never was enough demand to publish the magazine. Not in the 80s. Not in the 90s. Not in the 00s. And not now.

JMU has outgrown FCS and needs to move up, and will move up, but the notion that FCS is dying because 4 long time I-AA teams (Tx State, UMass, GSU, and App State) decided to move up and a couple of more will, is baloney.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 11:21 PM by BDKJMU.)
05-01-2013 11:20 PM
rufus Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
(05-01-2013 11:20 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 10:00 PM)rufus Wrote:  FCS is dying. I seriously doubt there is enough demand to justify publishing the magazine.

There never was enough demand to publish the magazine. Not in the 80s. Not in the 90s. Not in the 00s. And not now.

JMU has outgrown FCS and needs to move up, and will move up, but the notion that FCS is dying because 4 long time I-AA teams (Tx State, UMass, GSU, and App State) decided to move up and a couple of more will, is baloney.

The programs that account for nearly half of all FCS/I-AA championships have moved up or are in the process of moving up. Over one third of the runners up in FCS/I-AA history have done the same.

It's hard for me to believe that interest in FCS is not dwindling when the division has lost schools like Marshall, Nevada, Boise State, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, App State, and Georgia Southern. And those are just the schools that played for national championships. Outside of possibly some of the Dakota schools, none of the replacements hold a candle to the programs that have been lost.

Maybe it's a stretch to say that FCS is dying, because there is indeed still a subdivision called FCS. It is simply not the FCS that we signed up for.
05-02-2013 05:32 AM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

(05-01-2013 11:20 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

I don't have it in front of me, but somewhere in last year's magazine he wrote that without sufficient interest by a large corporation, publishing again wouldn't make financial sense for him. I took that to mean he needed someone with deep pockets to spend a lot more advertising in the magazine than he was getting.
05-02-2013 10:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.