Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jeff Compher's "Exit Interview" from HW.
Bookmark and Share
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Jeff Compher's "Exit Interview" from HW.
I'll always appreciate the job he did overall. Did he get everything right? No, and neither will the next AD.

http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2013/.../index.xml

Quote: It was winning with balance, winning the right way, winning with that in mind. Because of that, what we’ve been able to do academically is something else that I’ve appreciated. That was always something that I knew this university cared about was that balanced approach to winning. Not just on the field or the court or in the match, it was always about winning in the classroom as well. I just feel really good about how we’ve done and performed in that area.
05-01-2013 07:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HappyHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pigdog's Demise
RE: Jeff Compher's "Exit Interview" from HW.
03-zzz 03-zzz 03-zzz
05-01-2013 09:08 AM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
Hopefully we get a new permanent AD named by the end of summer, including getting his new staff in place. We'll be closing up the IPC and the Scoreboard, but there a lot of new priorities that need to be addressed including scheduling, fundraising, and stadium renovations. Would like to get those going.
05-01-2013 09:16 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

On home attendance...
"We’ve tried a lot of different things over the years: Special ticket plans, different pricing structures, all kinds of things. From scheduling to setting up mini-plans and other things, we’ve tried it, it’s not like we haven’t tried things. It’s just that it still needs something to build on, and I think the Orange Bowl is something that can be built on."

So going into 2012 with 2 consecutive 11 win seasons, bowl wins, first MACC since 83, along with an AQ team in DeKalb for the first time in 9 years and there was nothing to build on?
05-01-2013 09:17 AM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-01-2013 09:17 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  On home attendance...
"We’ve tried a lot of different things over the years: Special ticket plans, different pricing structures, all kinds of things. From scheduling to setting up mini-plans and other things, we’ve tried it, it’s not like we haven’t tried things. It’s just that it still needs something to build on, and I think the Orange Bowl is something that can be built on."

So going into 2012 with 2 consecutive 11 win seasons, bowl wins, first MACC since 83, along with an AQ team in DeKalb for the first time in 9 years and there was nothing to build on?

They should have asked him why he scheduled another home and home with Idaho.
05-01-2013 09:27 AM
GjlNIU Offline
Bench Warmer

As diehard fans I think we forget to realize most people in the Chicago area probably don't realize NIU plays in the FBS with Northwestern, Illness, and ND. We live in a pro-sports dominated area. Most people don't even know what the MAC is. Playing in the Orange Bowl was a wake up call to the Chicago area to realize we play in the same world as the B1G.

Sure our success is/was awesome, but lets face it the average person in Chicago doesn't care if we won 2 MACC because they don't even know what the h*** the MAC is.
05-01-2013 09:36 AM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(05-01-2013 09:27 AM)golf4501 Wrote:  

They should have asked him why he scheduled another home and home with Idaho.

03-lmfao
05-01-2013 09:59 AM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
My fear about him and Shelly leaving is that we are missing out on a major fundraising and ticket sales opportunity from our Orange Bowl success. Hopefully the new administration will be able to capitalize on this going forward.
05-01-2013 10:24 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-01-2013 10:24 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  My fear about him and Shelly leaving is that we are missing out on a major fundraising and ticket sales opportunity from our Orange Bowl success. Hopefully the new administration will be able to capitalize on this going forward.

We lost our biggest opportunity in December and January when people were calling about signing up for season tickets and they were told to call back in a few months.
05-01-2013 10:29 AM
GjlNIU Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-01-2013 10:29 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 10:24 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  My fear about him and Shelly leaving is that we are missing out on a major fundraising and ticket sales opportunity from our Orange Bowl success. Hopefully the new administration will be able to capitalize on this going forward.

We lost our biggest opportunity in December and January when people were calling about signing up for season tickets and they were told to call back in a few months.

Where did you find that out from?

If that is true that is quite bad. Hopefully they kept all those callers info to reach out to them this spring/summer. 03-banghead
05-01-2013 10:34 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-01-2013 10:34 AM)GjlNIU Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 10:29 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Where did you find that out from?

If that is true that is quite bad. Hopefully they kept all those callers info to reach out to them this spring/summer. 03-banghead

On here. Several post about people calling in wanting to sign up for season tickets were told to call back later.
05-01-2013 10:38 AM
Advertisement

NIU HOY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU!!!

Shelley is leaving?! I missed that part. When was that announced (or was it)?
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 10:52 AM by NIU HOY.)
05-01-2013 10:43 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

I am a little confused, do you mean you are worried about ticket sales because Compher is leaving? That is the main reason to be optimistic for his departure is that maybe we can get fans back into Huskie Stadium eventually.
05-01-2013 11:10 AM
huskiehog64 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(05-01-2013 10:43 AM)NIU HOY Wrote:  

All Im going to say is that Shelly B. did not leave on her own...
05-01-2013 12:35 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(05-01-2013 12:35 PM)huskiehog64 Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 10:43 AM)NIU HOY Wrote:  

All Im going to say is that Shelly B. did not leave on her own...

She's still up on the Staff Directory...but JC is gone.
05-01-2013 12:48 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
JC mentioned scheduling - what did they try? I know the MAC schedule is out of their control, and E$PN forces the weeknights, but they didn't really do anything for OOC opponents. You can't schedule 1 bad BCS team in 10 years and expect that to work. And I don't think anyone said it would be easy. He as much as said it wasn't a priority earlier.
05-01-2013 04:45 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

If you don't think Compher and before Compher Phillips was trying to get teams in Huskie Stadium, I think you're crazy. Both were smart guys, both were good AD's. For whatever reason, it just hasn't happened. I'm sure they both were trying.
05-01-2013 05:07 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(05-01-2013 05:07 PM)7 Wrote:  If you don't think Compher and before Compher Phillips was trying to get teams in Huskie Stadium, I think you're crazy. Both were smart guys, both were good AD's. For whatever reason, it just hasn't happened. I'm sure they both were trying.

7, there is no way that is accurate. It can be argued how hard it is to get teams into Huskie Stadium, Im sure its not easy. The one thing I know for certain at least with Compher is that it was not a priority. He never gave any indication this was at all a priority. When you put out a schedule of 5 home games, there is not any question what the number one priority is. I understand where he was coming from in trying to rake in money games and also manuevers that were high profile in SF for the next job, but home scheduling was not something he cared about, this I am completely certain of. He followed the Phillips playbook for job promotion, and unfortunately for Huskie fans that playbook doesnt involve long term program health.
05-01-2013 05:24 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-01-2013 05:07 PM)7 Wrote:  If you don't think Compher and before Compher Phillips was trying to get teams in Huskie Stadium, I think you're crazy. Both were smart guys, both were good AD's. For whatever reason, it just hasn't happened. I'm sure they both were trying.

NIU does not have unlimited funds for all athletics to afford to bring in big name high oayout teams. the ADs do the best with theirr limited funds. NIU does not have an extea million to pay for top flight teams
05-01-2013 05:28 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

We played 6 home games (including a BCS team, Toledo, and only weeknight game) +1 Soldier Field game last year coming of an 11 win season in which we won our first conference championships since 1983, and we averaged 16,000 fans a game.

Sorry. No excuses for this fan base. Don't blame the two ADs who hired the two coaches who helped this team get to a point where they've won 11+ games 3 straight years, won back to back MAC Championships, and gone to a BCS bowl and expect me to point the finger at the administration. It doesn't fly.

It is completely unfortunate and bad and Compher's part we're coming off a BCS bowl and are only playing 5 home games. He deserves blame for that, I agree. However, you can't point the finger at administration for lack of fan support.

(05-01-2013 05:28 PM)klake87 Wrote:  

NIU does not have unlimited funds for all athletics to afford to bring in big name high oayout teams. the ADs do the best with theirr limited funds. NIU does not have an extea million to pay for top flight teams
Which is why when we had a BCS team in Huskie Stadium on a beautiful Saturday last year we needed to have a packed house. We didn't. Can't blame administration for that.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 05:31 PM by 7.)
05-01-2013 05:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.