ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU tutition
Murray007 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
ODU tutition
The BOV met recently and has raised tuition by a little under 2 percent in order to keep up with cost increases and a dwindling state budget. For in-state undergrads the total price to attend ODU went up by $370 per year.

Still, ODU has one of the cheapest tuition rates in the Commonwealth! In fact, it'll probably remain the second cheapest in Virginia after Norfolk State (just my guess). Go Monarchs! 02-13-banana

http://www.odu.edu/news/2013/4/odu_board_of_visitor
04-30-2013 04:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU Hugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU tutition
$285/credit for in-state is ridiculously good. That's only about $140/credit higher than what community colleges in the state charged. Contrast that with GMU last year ($392.50/credit) and VCU last year ($405.17/credit). Wow.
04-30-2013 08:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pandorazboxx Offline
2nd String

wow, when i started in 2004, it was like $160-170/credit-hour.
04-30-2013 08:48 AM
TheDancinMonarch Online
All American

(04-30-2013 08:23 AM)ODU Hugh Wrote:  $285/credit for in-state is ridiculously good. That's only about $140/credit higher than what community colleges in the state charged. Contrast that with GMU last year ($392.50/credit) and VCU last year ($405.17/credit). Wow.

Gotta get the moolah somewhere to pay Paul and Shaka.
04-30-2013 08:49 AM
ODU Hugh Offline
1st String

(04-30-2013 08:49 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  
(04-30-2013 08:23 AM)ODU Hugh Wrote:  $285/credit for in-state is ridiculously good. That's only about $140/credit higher than what community colleges in the state charged. Contrast that with GMU last year ($392.50/credit) and VCU last year ($405.17/credit). Wow.

Gotta get the moolah somewhere to pay Paul and Shaka.

I think it is highly commendable that we are not passing the buck on the FBS move to students. Hope that philosophy continues. VCU raising their student fees just to pay Shaka is some shameful s***.
04-30-2013 08:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarchmanCUSA Offline
2nd String

If I remember correctly, it was $134/hr in '96 when I started
04-30-2013 08:54 AM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

That's awesome. But yeah, wow it was right around 140-160 when I was there. Time to start saving...
04-30-2013 09:31 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
I think it was around $40/crh when I was there, maybe even less.
04-30-2013 09:59 AM
LuckyLion Offline
1st String

I can't remember what it was per credit, but my tuition was less than $1k a semester, when I gradated. Just don't know how people do it, now. I heard instanter tuition and room and board was going up to over $19k a year at VT. I went there as a freshman and it was around $3k. How do people afford it?
04-30-2013 10:07 AM
UDO Offline
2nd String

I expect more students to do the first two years of college at a CC as tuition costs continue to rise.
04-30-2013 10:14 AM
Fatmonarch Offline
2nd String

(04-30-2013 10:07 AM)LuckyLion Wrote:  I can't remember what it was per credit, but my tuition was less than $1k a semester, when I gradated. Just don't know how people do it, now. I heard instanter tuition and room and board was going up to over $19k a year at VT. I went there as a freshman and it was around $3k. How do people afford it?

The government covers most of the bill for students who can't afford it or don't have parents who make enough money to help. My roommate from ODU attended based on federal grants. If you go the student loan route, the government will even "forgive" you if you can't pay your loans later on and will cover that for you.

Pretty much anybody can go to college these days.
04-30-2013 10:26 AM
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

when I went, my 1st semester it cost $476, and that was full time and you could take as many classes as you wanted. I would always take one fun class like art or photography. I was so broke my last year, that after I graduated I couldn't eat Ramone noodles ever again. I had to use the text books in the library for calculus, cause I couldn't afford books and my only transportation was a Moped. Kids have it pretty good, except so many come out with so much in loans and that's a shame.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2013 12:17 PM by DaBigBlue.)
04-30-2013 11:00 AM
pandorazboxx Offline
2nd String

(04-30-2013 10:26 AM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  If you go the student loan route, the government will even "forgive" you if you can't pay your loans later on and will cover that for you.

nope. no way the government forgives your loans. You're stuck with those for life. no bankruptcy or anything can get rid of them.

Now if you have a low paying fed job, after 10 years of service they'll forgive whatever is left on your loans. which is usually just a few more payments, possibly more if you can get them to extend your student loan payments over a longer period.
04-30-2013 11:31 AM
Fatmonarch Offline
2nd String

(04-30-2013 11:31 AM)pandorazboxx Wrote:  
(04-30-2013 10:26 AM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  If you go the student loan route, the government will even "forgive" you if you can't pay your loans later on and will cover that for you.

nope. no way the government forgives your loans. You're stuck with those for life. no bankruptcy or anything can get rid of them.

Now if you have a low paying fed job, after 10 years of service they'll forgive whatever is left on your loans. which is usually just a few more payments, possibly more if you can get them to extend your student loan payments over a longer period.

http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans...ic-service
04-30-2013 11:40 AM
UDO Offline
2nd String

(04-30-2013 11:40 AM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  

And what percentage of students who take loans have that loan listed that is eligible for that forgiveness program?
04-30-2013 11:41 AM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

Many of us like to get rather cynical about the university administration, but keeping fees so low is pretty admirable.

Does anyone know how ODU keeps its fees so low? Does that transpire right across and mean that we have up to $100 less per student per credit hour to spend than for example Virginia Tech? ($382.75 /CH)

I'm completely ignorant of how fees are spent, I'm just wondering if someone can fill me in.
04-30-2013 11:43 AM
Advertisement

UDO Offline
2nd String

(04-30-2013 11:43 AM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  Many of us like to get rather cynical about the university administration, but keeping fees so low is pretty admirable.

Does anyone know how ODU keeps its fees so low? Does that transpire right across and mean that we have up to $100 less per student per credit hour to spend than for example Virginia Tech? ($382.75 /CH)

I'm completely ignorant of how fees are spent, I'm just wondering if someone can fill me in.

http://ww2.odu.edu/af/finance/students/t...n_2013.pdf
04-30-2013 11:46 AM
pandorazboxx Offline
2nd String

(04-30-2013 11:40 AM)Fatmonarch Wrote:  

Umm, that's exactly what I was talking about. You have to work in public service for 10 years to get that forgiveness after you make 120 payments.
04-30-2013 11:48 AM
Oduniceguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big Blue Beast
(04-30-2013 11:00 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  When I went my 1st semester it cost $476, and that was full time and you could take as many classes as you wanted. I would always take one fun class like art or photography. I was so broke my last year, that after I graduated I couldn't eat Ramone noodles ever again. I had to use the text books in the library for calculus, cause I couldn't afford books and my only transportation was a Moped. Kids have it so good.

I actually couldn't afford housing one semester and alternated between couch surfing and sleeping in academic buildings on campus. I also showered in the athletic administration building as there are showers right beside one of the entrances. No one was ever the wiser. Lol. I laugh looking back on it, but those were some of the toughest times in my life.
04-30-2013 12:10 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
(04-30-2013 11:46 AM)UDO Wrote:  
(04-30-2013 11:43 AM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  Many of us like to get rather cynical about the university administration, but keeping fees so low is pretty admirable.

http://ww2.odu.edu/af/finance/students/t...n_2013.pdf

and another $130 per semester combined for Student Health, Transportation, and General Service fees.
04-30-2013 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.