Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: More Professor related issues at FAU
Bookmark and Share
TheNorthTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
OT: More Professor related issues at FAU
http://news.yahoo.com/america-worst-univ...26567.html

I'm embarrassed to share a conference with a school that hires professors like this.

"The school’s claim to fame — after last month, anyway — is that the administration tried to punish a student who expressed discomfort with a professor’s assignment to stomp on a piece of paper bearing the word “Jesus.” (RELATED: Florida Atlantic issues new groveling apology over Jesus-stomping)
Turns out, Florida Atlantic has problems that are a lot bigger than a little Jesus-stomping."

"More likely, the tenured professor says, what happened in Boston was a “mass casualty drill.”
In an April 23 posting entitled “Witnessing Boston’s Mass Casualty Event,” Tracy contends that “photographic evidence of the event suggests the possibility of play actors getting into position after the detonation of what may in fact have been a smoke bomb or similarly benign explosive.”
Tracy believes the bombing was really just some kind of dress rehearsal. “The event closely resembles a mass-casualty drill, which for training purposes are designed to be as lifelike as possible,” the FAU communications professor asserts. “Since it is mediated, however, and primarily experienced from afar through the careful assemblage of words, images, and the official pronouncements and commentary of celebrity journalists, it has the semblance of being for all practical purposes ‘real.’”

"“There is a growing awareness that the media coverage of the massacre of 26 children and adults was intended primarily for public consumption to further larger political ends,” Tracy wrote on his blog after Sandy Hook. (RELATED: Public university professors join ranks of Sandy Hook conspiracy theorists)
The bizarro FAU professor suggested that the carnage in Newtown, Mass. was caused by was some kind of training exercise gone awry.
Professors gone wild aren’t the only reason FAU has been basking in awful publicity lately. There’s plenty more craziness on campus.
Earlier this month, explains The Palm Beach Post, school officials announced that the school would bow to immense student pressure and scrap a $6 million agreement to name its football stadium after GEO Group, a for-profit prison company.
During a protest over the GEO Group stadium fracas, Mary Jane Saunders, FAU’s president, hit a student protester with the side mirror of her Lexus, reports the Sun-Sentinel. The protesters were reportedly harassing Saunders and attempting to block her exit."
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 08:13 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
04-28-2013 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

joshdude182 Offline
Special Teams

RE: OT: At America's worst university...
(04-28-2013 03:52 PM)TheNorthTexan Wrote:  http://news.yahoo.com/america-worst-univ...26567.html

I'm embarrassed to share a conference with a school that hires professors like this.

"The school’s claim to fame — after last month, anyway — is that the administration tried to punish a student who expressed discomfort with a professor’s assignment to stomp on a piece of paper bearing the word “Jesus.” (RELATED: Florida Atlantic issues new groveling apology over Jesus-stomping)
Turns out, Florida Atlantic has problems that are a lot bigger than a little Jesus-stomping."

"More likely, the tenured professor says, what happened in Boston was a “mass casualty drill.”
In an April 23 posting entitled “Witnessing Boston’s Mass Casualty Event,” Tracy contends that “photographic evidence of the event suggests the possibility of play actors getting into position after the detonation of what may in fact have been a smoke bomb or similarly benign explosive.”
Tracy believes the bombing was really just some kind of dress rehearsal. “The event closely resembles a mass-casualty drill, which for training purposes are designed to be as lifelike as possible,” the FAU communications professor asserts. “Since it is mediated, however, and primarily experienced from afar through the careful assemblage of words, images, and the official pronouncements and commentary of celebrity journalists, it has the semblance of being for all practical purposes ‘real.’”

"“There is a growing awareness that the media coverage of the massacre of 26 children and adults was intended primarily for public consumption to further larger political ends,” Tracy wrote on his blog after Sandy Hook. (RELATED: Public university professors join ranks of Sandy Hook conspiracy theorists)
The bizarro FAU professor suggested that the carnage in Newtown, Mass. was caused by was some kind of training exercise gone awry.
Professors gone wild aren’t the only reason FAU has been basking in awful publicity lately. There’s plenty more craziness on campus.
Earlier this month, explains The Palm Beach Post, school officials announced that the school would bow to immense student pressure and scrap a $6 million agreement to name its football stadium after GEO Group, a for-profit prison company.
During a protest over the GEO Group stadium fracas, Mary Jane Saunders, FAU’s president, hit a student protester with the side mirror of her Lexus, reports the Sun-Sentinel. The protesters were reportedly harassing Saunders and attempting to block her exit."

We have them too. All research universities do. You're naive if you think we don't. Nothing to see here.
04-28-2013 04:26 PM
WinOrLoseEAGLE Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-28-2013 03:52 PM)TheNorthTexan Wrote:  http://news.yahoo.com/america-worst-univ...26567.html

What, the goofy assed professor? I'd bet there are several in Denton as well; it's a commonality of most if not all universities.
04-28-2013 05:08 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
LOL right, FAU is the only place to have loony professors. Please don't make something out of nothing, like this reporter has tried to do.
If you really are that ashamed then the SBC would love to have y'all back.
04-28-2013 05:26 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

By the way, the student in the "Jesus Stomp" case was in trouble for physically threatening the professor over the activity, which is actually a decent exercise considering that:
1. It's in a textbook used throughout the USA
2. It's not for a grade
3. The class is called "Symbolism in Society" which means that they're talking about the importance of the letters "J-E-S-U-S" in American society, and how we could relate that to societies across the world
4. That the activity is supposed to lead to a discussion about how important certain words are to use today, AFTER the students had the CHOICE of going through with the activity.

About this professor, he's a nut job that can't be fired thanks to the union and "freedom of speech."

And finally the university didn't "bow to immense student pressure and scrap a $6 million agreement to name its football stadium after GEO Group." There were only 10 students protesting the deal (which wasn't a sponsorship, it was to show our gratitude for GEO Group's constant hefty donations to the university), in fact, when FAU said "thanks but, no thanks" most students were actually mad that we were being short changed $6 million until we heard that GEO Group as going to continue their donations.

Now if you want the actions of a couple odd balls to be your set and stone representation of my university, then your missing out on the real side of one of the South's best higher education institutions.
Your loss.

Check out #WEareFAU for the students response to this bad PR brought on by terrible and biased reporting, and learn some of the countless reasons on why so many come and stay at FAU.
04-28-2013 05:41 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Every University has nutty professors. That said, how the hell did this one get tenure?
04-28-2013 05:54 PM
Advertisement

fauowls561 Offline
Special Teams

(04-28-2013 05:54 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  Every University has nutty professors. That said, how the hell did this one get tenure?

My guess is that he wasn't saying these types of things before he became tenured.
04-28-2013 06:04 PM
TheNorthTexan Offline
2nd String

I agree all schools have nutty professors. But FAU has a ton of braindead ones and braindead administrators who give their students a bad name. Even your school newspaper thinks it is a valid thing right now, though.
04-28-2013 06:43 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
(04-28-2013 06:04 PM)fauowls561 Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 05:54 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  Every University has nutty professors. That said, how the hell did this one get tenure?

My guess is that he wasn't saying these types of things before he became tenured.

Then their vetting process sucks.
04-28-2013 06:55 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
3....2....1.....Smack board to die
04-28-2013 07:14 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

(04-28-2013 06:43 PM)TheNorthTexan Wrote:  I agree all schools have nutty professors. But FAU has a ton of braindead ones and braindead administrators who give their students a bad name. Even your school newspaper thinks it is a valid thing right now, though.

Lmao you just took what the UP says seriously!? They're so extreme anti anything FAU that the students are in the middle of removing their funds from the Student Government fees. So we have a couple nut jobs, therefor we have a ton of *brain-dead professors? At least they know that brain-dead isn't one word. The most of our professors aren't giving us a bad name, they're teaching us the skills that are needed for the future of this country.
Please stop talking about the things you know nothing about.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 07:45 PM by FAUAEPi.)
04-28-2013 07:20 PM
Advertisement

FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(04-28-2013 07:20 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 06:43 PM)TheNorthTexan Wrote:  I agree all schools have nutty professors. But FAU has a ton of braindead ones and braindead administrators who give their students a bad name. Even your school newspaper thinks it is a valid thing right now, though.

Lmao you just took what the UP says seriously!? They're so extreme anti anything FAU that the students are in the middle of removing their funds from the Student Government fees.

FAUAEPi, isn't UP your student newspaper? So you plan to cut their funding because one or two students write a piece that criticize the university administration?

Be careful y'all don't overreact to a few bad months of PR by discouraging your students from questioning the status quo.

You guys just need to ride this out, can't say I'm not enjoying watching from the sidelines. 03-cloud9
Just kidding.
04-28-2013 07:44 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

(04-28-2013 07:14 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  3....2....1.....Smack board to die

(04-28-2013 07:44 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 07:20 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  

Lmao you just took what the UP says seriously!? They're so extreme anti anything FAU that the students are in the middle of removing their funds from the Student Government fees.

FAUAEPi, isn't UP your student newspaper? So you plan to cut their funding because one or two students write a piece that criticize the university administration?

Be careful y'all don't overreact to a few bad months of PR by discouraging your students from questioning the status quo.

You guys just need to ride this out, can't say I'm not enjoying watching from the sidelines. 03-cloud9
Just kidding.

Thousands of students do not agree with the messages that they have been supporting, therefor we as students who are paying for their funding, via fees that are attached to our tuition, reserve the right to take their funding away. The UP, along with the GEO Group protesters are in the EXTREME minority on campus. They're not just 2 writers, it's the EIC and they've fired any writer that doesn't want to write bad about FAU because their stories "don't get enough reads." They've been shallow has Hell to the students and the school, and we're sick of it.
It's fair game for y'all to enjoy this, but doesn't make sense for somebody that knows nothing about FAU to be saying that we shouldn't be in a conference with them because of one lousy article.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 08:11 PM by FAUAEPi.)
04-28-2013 08:03 PM
DTD343 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-28-2013 05:26 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  LOL right, FAU is the only place to have loony professors. Please don't make something out of nothing, like this reporter has tried to do.

Y'all can have them
04-28-2013 08:13 PM
joshdude182 Offline
Special Teams

(04-28-2013 08:13 PM)DTD343 Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 05:26 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  LOL right, FAU is the only place to have loony professors. Please don't make something out of nothing, like this reporter has tried to do.

Y'all can have them

Go back to your FCS league board.
04-28-2013 08:17 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

(04-28-2013 08:17 PM)joshdude182 Wrote:  

Y'all can have them

I don't understand why UNT fans talk down to the SBC. Wasn't your days in the SBC your glory days? Why smack with a conference that was so good for you?
04-28-2013 09:37 PM
Advertisement

TheNorthTexan Offline
2nd String

(04-28-2013 09:37 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  

Y'all can have them

I don't understand why UNT fans talk down to the SBC. Wasn't your days in the SBC your glory days? Why smack with a conference that was so good for you?

What exactly did the Sun Belt do for us? Didn't help our attendance. Didn't help our reputation. In fact, the SBC is a major reason we're in the shape we're in.
04-28-2013 09:59 PM
joshdude182 Offline
Special Teams

(04-28-2013 09:37 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  

Y'all can have them

The sunbelt was anything but good for us. It stunted our growth for years and kept us out on an island. The sunbelt is one of the worst things to happen to North Texas.
04-28-2013 10:58 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
lol FAU... Fortunately the fans I sat next to at the MT-FAU bball game earlier this year were nice. There were some kooky students, but I guess the students there are kookier than most!
04-29-2013 12:25 AM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

(04-29-2013 12:25 AM)Ole Blue Wrote:  lol FAU... Fortunately the fans I sat next to at the MT-FAU bball game earlier this year were nice. There were some kooky students, but I guess the students there are kookier than most!

Yes, student sections tend to be "kooky." Ever been to an Indiana basketball game? Georgia football? Ole Miss baseball?
We might not be big time, but it doesn't hurt to party like.
04-29-2013 12:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.