ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Regarding Donte Hill's Eligibility
ConradODU10 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
Just received a text, a text at 6:42pm, that he is ineligible for his SR year. That's all the word I have and scanned pilotonline for Ed Miller tweets and didn't see any. So hopefully this doesn't pan out.
04-25-2013 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Old Dom Swag Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT: Regarding Donte Hill's Eligibility
DailyPress has an article up behind the paywall:
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/college...4106.story
04-25-2013 05:50 PM
ODU Hugh Offline
1st String

Man...
04-25-2013 05:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Oduniceguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big Blue Beast
Soooooo we have a free schollie?
04-25-2013 05:59 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
I feel for him. I know that's not the way he wanted to go out.

On a separate note, why does the Pilot even bother? Scooped by this board yesterday. The Daily Press at least does the diligence to confirm and put out a story. Still crickets from Miller and the Pilot? They may as well not even bother and just put all their resources to covering football. Harry does a good job.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 07:01 PM by monarchoptimist.)
04-25-2013 06:52 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Vent: I feel ripped off by the Daily Press. Maybe this is just something I need to get used to.
04-25-2013 07:00 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Re: OT: Regarding Donte Hill's Eligibility
I don't understand how a closed door scrimmage "counts" per the rule in the article. How stupid. You can also blame Clemson as well as Taylor's staff. Donte shouldn't have to suffer because two staffs of professionals failed to advise him of this.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
04-25-2013 07:01 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Re: OT: Regarding Donte Hill's Eligibility
And if you want to read the article, just hit "stop" as soon as it loads to get around the paywall.

04-25-2013 07:02 PM
monarchmanCUSA Offline
2nd String

Does that open up a spot for Djitte, if true?
04-25-2013 07:23 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

It opens up too many spots. We already had a spot for Djitte and another. Moving Larsen and losing Hill really don't help unless we go JUCO or a transfer that has already played 2 seasons.
04-25-2013 07:25 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Hill is getting screwed here. He was recruited away from here by Purnell who then bolted after 1 year to Depaul. In comes Brownell who didn't mesh well with Donte.

Brownell takes his entire team to a "secret" scrimmage which I doubt he had them sign waivers about future eligibility concerns.

Purnell gets 20 million or so immediately at Depaul, Hill is forced to sit out a year and then later finds out the clock was running. If Hill doesn't get a waiver/appeal then the NCAA needs to enforce these scrimmages better.
04-25-2013 07:33 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Re: RE: OT: Regarding Donte Hill's Eligibility
(04-25-2013 07:33 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  Hill is getting screwed here. He was recruited away from here by Purnell who then bolted after 1 year to Depaul. In comes Brownell who didn't mesh well with Donte.

Brownell takes his entire team to a "secret" scrimmage which I doubt he had them sign waivers about future eligibility concerns.

Purnell gets 20 million or so immediately at Depaul, Hill is forced to sit out a year and then later finds out the clock was running. If Hill doesn't get a waiver/appeal then the NCAA needs to enforce these scrimmages better.

+1

04-25-2013 08:12 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2013 05:59 PM)Oduniceguy Wrote:  Soooooo we have a free schollie?

If we as a program don't go to bat for Donte Hill under these circumstances, then we ought to forfeit a scholarship.

This is pure bureaucratic b.s. D. Hill has done absolutely nothing wrong. He has not shirked on effort, on personal discipline, on academic performance or on loyalty to the school.

Whether you think D. Hill is a strong player or not, he deserves no less than our unqualified support.
04-26-2013 06:39 AM
odufansam Offline
1st String

(04-26-2013 06:39 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

If we as a program don't go to bat for Donte Hill under these circumstances, then we ought to forfeit a scholarship.

This is pure bureaucratic b.s. D. Hill has done absolutely nothing wrong. He has not shirked on effort, on personal discipline, on academic performance or on loyalty to the school.

Whether you think D. Hill is a strong player or not, he deserves no less than our unqualified support.

+1 I hope that we are still able to give him a scholarship. The worst case scenario here is that he may not be ready to graduate this May. I feel bad for him.
04-26-2013 06:58 AM
Tbac3 Offline
Special Teams

(04-26-2013 06:58 AM)odufansam Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 06:39 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

+1 I hope that we are still able to give him a scholarship. The worst case scenario here is that he may not be ready to graduate this May. I feel bad for him.

I believe he will graduate in May. Seems to be serious about getting his degree. I sure feel bad for him with this fiasco.
04-26-2013 07:03 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Without him we will probably be the youngest team in the entire nation next season.

I really hope for all the right reasons he is able to play. It's the right thing to do.
04-26-2013 07:15 AM
Advertisement

Oduniceguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big Blue Beast
(04-26-2013 06:58 AM)odufansam Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 06:39 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  [quote='Oduniceguy' pid='9270116' dateline='1366930779']
Soooooo we have a free schollie?

Honestly I harbor no ill-will towards the guy, but if that's the final decision then it's time to move on. If he's able to play another year, great, if not then I wish him all the best but the search must begin. Unfortunately stuff like this happens all the time.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 07:27 AM by Oduniceguy.)
04-26-2013 07:26 AM
pandorazboxx Offline
2nd String

According to Ed Miller, ODU knew about the closed scrimmage and they have not yet filed the waiver request.
04-26-2013 07:36 AM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
(04-26-2013 07:36 AM)pandorazboxx Wrote:  According to Ed Miller, ODU knew about the closed scrimmage and they have not yet filed the waiver request.

So, then the staff didn't seem to think the scrimmage was going to be an eligibility issue. But they were incorrect. I hope it gets worked out for Hill's sake.

I will say I'm glad to be turning the page on the previous staff's recruiting efforts and practices. Thus far Coach Jones has proven to be a considerable upgrade on that front.
04-26-2013 07:53 AM
djnva Offline
All American

ODU's compliance department needs a makeover.

Message boards figured out that this would compromise a year of eligibility and they didn't?
04-26-2013 08:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.